Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Layoff from job - No idea what to do now D:

:iconblazingrunaway:
blazingrunaway Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Backstory: It's nearly the two week mark since I've gotten a layoff off from my job (overpopulation of workers for business reasons); I've opened up as much availability as I could (normally I work on afternoon shifts but I decided to have both morning + afternoon options opened as well as contacting the other branch of the company that I'm registered and open for work)and up to today, no luck has been granted.

My mother and brother said that the company often does this to temporary workers (I'm a student) and they'll call them back within a few weeks. However, I really don't want to risk that chance and lose out even more pay because I need the money to last me 3 semesters at my school. Obviously I'm not in school now because I made a deferral for the winter + spring for my return.

Note: I worked (full time) as an inspector at an automotive factory earning 12 dollars an hour (which is 2 dollars above the min wage in Canada) and this is my first job; I've been working since late August until 2 weeks ago. I don't really have a lot of activity history on me(last time I did volunteer work was done from 2008-2009, last time school ended was back in April yikes I know).

The questions:

1) Will it be okay for me to find another job to do temporarily at another place during my layoff period without giving off the implication to my old employer that I quit?

2) If the above question is alright to do...how am I supposed to let the places that I want to apply to know that I've been laid off for 2 weeks and that I've actually been working for a period of time?

Am I supposed to list my previous employer as a reference in order to prove that I was working and been recently laid off? Again, I don't want to give off the implication to them (my old job) that I quit because I want to be returning to them if they call back to me.

This is the first time that I've experienced this and I tried to google the answers to my questions but that obviously didn't help since I'm a student. :(

Thanks for reading!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
I like to believe its okay to get new jobs. :la:
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
1) You can't quit; you've been laid off. That means you're out of job. Get another one. If they call you back, and your old job is better than your new one, then go back to it. You're not sending any kind of message to your old employer by getting another job, since the only way they'll know you've done that is if you tell them. So don't tell them.

2) Most employers ask about your previous experience. Tell them then. Or not. If you're looking for work in a different kind of job entirely, your experience may not be relevant anyway. List whomever you want as a reference. But even if you do list your old employer for whatever reason, and they do get called, that says you're looking for work not that you've found work.

And what does you being a student have to do with anything?
Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it tons. :)

The answers that I googled up on usually made me end up on the ones for actual full-time workers (as in not continuing school, they have exclusive benefits for working an x amount of years such as vacation pay, insurance, etc). Sorry if my wording seemed a bit word on that part. :bucktooth:
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
You do what we do whenever one of us get laid off, bear through he bad, and find another job as soon as possible.
Answers:

Your new employer, depending on high end it is, need not know why or how you quit, if the check, just answer, yes I did, and this is why, short sweet and to the point, don't get into it. If you're a good worker and interviewed well there's no need ot get into it.

The second question is irrelevant, you have no reason to tell them how long ago or why.

Just find a new job and leave anything else extra out, ok.
Thank you for the help! :hug:
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Is it okay to find another job? Hell yes, if you need the money.

You said you were laid off. How would your employer get the impression that you've quit when they aren't giving you any hours?

You don't have to let anyone know you've been laid off. When you apply for a new job, simply state your current employer as your current employer. They only care that you haven't been fired.
I'm pretty cautious about my actions when it comes to employment related activities, I just need to make sure that I won't leave any wrong ideas to them in some form or another since I'm inexperienced when it comes to this sort of matter.

Thank you for your answer!
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Cool -it's your life though. You have the right to seek employment. Unless you have signed a contract with the NHL or are in the military, you have the right to back out or move on.
and help*
Add a Comment: