Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Don't feel cut out for my job anymore :/

:iconcaptaincrumpets:
captaincrumpets Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, I work as a carer in a nursing home. I love my job but recently more and more of our elderly residents have been dying. I knew what I was getting into and I have dealt with many residents whom I'm very close to passing away in the past, its just recently they're dropping like flies. We've had like six deaths this month and its only a little twenty bed home.

I need some advice because I'm starting to dread going to work because every shift we're told somebody is poorly and wont live long...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
I'm guessing in the job you have some kind of qualification. Find another less deathly job with your qualifications.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
People die, you have to focus on the positives before that. Its inevitable, but their life isn't a waste because of it. Focus on making their last moments the best. Not worrying about them dying, its hard but eventually you'll learn to cope; getting some inside therapy ( I presume being in careers like that have something to help you ) would help I would believe.
Thanks and yeah I coped fine before we got a rash of like six deaths suddenly and unexpectedly but hopefully this isn't going to last long... I think its just cause its always people I'm close to ><
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Either don't get close or learn that they will die. That's why they're there.
Fair enough I guess.
:iconartofjeffhebert:
ArtofJeffHebert Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I was an EMT for a few years and I transported many regular patients. Most were terminal but lived for years with thier condition. I would try and cheer them up or make thier time with me one of the bright spots of thier day. Eventually the day comes when they arent there anymore. I grieved for them but always tried to remeber I did everything I could to make them happy and comfortable when they were here. I found comfort in that. Also try and take a little something away from each interaction you have, that way they never really leave and live on as a part of you. Hope that helps a little.
It does help a little yeah :) its just one of those things I'll get more used to I guess, I've been here nearly a year its just getting more difficult recently.
Those moments come in that career field Im afraid but that ususally have councelors you can talk to. Theres no shame in it and they help! I went to one after a bad accident I was a responder to, help out big time!
Thankyou :)
your welcome! Keep up the good work! It's a special kind of person!
Add a Comment: