Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

I need some advice!!

:iconrpakita:
RPAkita Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Ok, this may seem pathetic to some but in my college class there is someone who approached me the other day and asked to see my dog character design (its a dog with robotic legs that has been the centre of my inspiration for my personal work for a good few years now).

Seems harmless enough, so I agree simply asking why. They answered 'I came up with the idea to create a story of dogs with robotic legs! And I wanted to see how you had gone about creating it'. At first I didn't know how to react, so I continued to show him, feeling a little bit aggrieved; as this was the main concept to my personal projects for the last three times it had been set, and now he is doing it.

Now the more i think about it the more and more offended I get, I really don't know what to do. I have approached my tutor and he was completely stumped by the concept. I really don't know how to react to this, I have confronted him in a seemly playful manor saying he's plagiarising (which until I see an outcome I can't really feel as I know I don't own the concept of robotic dogs, but on the same note its been the thing I do since he met me! And not a little thing either, its a story I'm making into a graphic novel, i'm making mock journals about it the works!!)

What shall I do? Please help me!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You might be worried for nothing. He might change his idea so much that it will be diffrent. What class is this?
RPAkita Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
its an illustration course. I may well be worried for nothing. I'm just being overly sensitive.
moxiee Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I think you are. If you're bothered by it then you should ask him what he's doing.
RPAkita Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'm going to, we're not in until Tuesday so I have to wait
moxiee Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Good.
:iconemiliemajarian:
emiliemajarian Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012   Digital Artist
When in doubt, ask Alan! If, when you guys have your projects come out, there's a massive similarity, he'll already know that you're the one who usually draws robotic dogs, and a specific one at that (even I know that and I'm sure I haven't seen as much of your work as he has). He's very fair, we had 2 people in our first year who would either just copy other people's artwork or directly just lift images off the web and claim those were theirs. We brought it up with Alan and somehow he was able to handle that sensitively for everyone, didn't tell on us who had seen the original work and reported him, while still calling them out on it. I really can't recommend talking to him highly enough :D
RPAkita Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah, I phoned Alan today and have sent a reasonable message to the person. The person replied decently (don't I sound English). Alan knows about it and will be sensitive about it. Fortunately the person concerned was reasonable and understanding so hopefully it won't be a major issue now. ^_^
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Really? I'm making a story about a wandering space anti-hero, with a magic object and a love interest? If you can tell me that has never been done ever in the scope of the world then please do. If you think your idea is seriously so beyond original that no one has ever thought of it as well then you really do have far to go.

It's not in what the idea is, but in how you execute it.

Noting that any of us comes up with is 100% original, that's what makes us human and able to create. As humans we take what we see and know and deconstruct it and reconstruct the pieces to make new ideas.
RPAkita Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I did say i appreciate I don't have the copyright to the idea because to be honest it is not original. I did say just that. But its not the fact he had the concept it was the way I was approached, without regard that my design is mine. He could have used a more tactful approach that actually came across better and less like he was just using my idea...
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012   Digital Artist
You could've not shared it with him if that's how it came off.
Add a Comment: