Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Introversion and College

:iconideabite:
IdeaBite Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I've been recently feeling that these two things, introversion and college, do not necessarily go well together.

I am quiet the introvert, though I usually can go a while without alone time. Though recently when I have not been able to have alone time I end up getting a bit anxious and end up seeking out alone time. Alone time comes quiet often and due to that I have been feeling quiet odd. Whether or not I want to I've been pushing myself past my comfort zone but it's been hard. I know it's a good thing to do but the lack of alone time gets to me and I can't find the moment I need to clear my mind and think.

I know that I need to start enjoying being with people a lot more since I am at college and the feeling of community is everywhere. I am sure that my mindset will change if events keep up as they are but it's hard since my mind rarely has a chance to clear itself. I just wish that I could understand how to keep a calm and clear mind during the process. Any ideas, thoughts, or comments? Feel free to share if you've gone through this or are too.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnamemaychange:
namemaychange Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
I see where you're coming from. I'm also an introvert, or at least I used to be one. (Now it's not difficult for me to hang out or stay some time with people around me, my problem is that people bore me easily).
However, the way I see it, we should try to enjoy these days instead of just thinking about the bad side of them. One day they'll be over, and it'll be a whole lot nicer if we keep nice memories of them rather than just remembering lame things, right?

As a suggestion, it may sound super cliché, but it's a good one: just be yourself. As in, if you don't like clubbing, don't force yourself to go and be someone you are not. You should at least try it once so you have the experience and you confirm if you like it or not, but if you don't enjoy it, then don't torture yourself. I'm sure there are people you can meet and places you can be where you can possibly be comfortable, and actually enjoy things. And if you start feeling uneasy, you can always go back and spend some time for yourself. Or maybe some days you could "reserve" for yourself, while others you can try new things. If you feel anxious very fast, try doing things gradually so you don't feel too uncomfortable. That way, you'll get the best of both worlds ;)
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm an introvert in college as well. A lot of times I feel like I am missing something by not going to events, but I prefer my alone time. The way I figure it is, I'm happy with how things have been going so far, and a lot of time to much people time makes me feel stressed so . . . why worry about changing now?
:iconmeganmissfit:
MeganMissfit Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I have the same problem XD I actually really don't like being at clubs/parties/bars, I find them way too noisy and crowded. I'd rather much prefer spending time with a small group of friends, at someone's house, or at a coffee shop, museum, etc.

But really, if you need your alone time, then you need your alone time. Extroversion is indeed a common trait among college people, but it's not the only personality type out there. It's not for everyone. When I first started college, I too felt like a total weirdo for wanting to be alone, but it made me happy, so why bother to change?

I mean, that's not to say that you should totally shut yourself off from the rest of civilization, I'm not saying that at all. Let whatever friendships you make happen, but don't force anything. You'll make the perfect amount of friends and you will be happy that you did ^_^

Now, if it's a matter of being anxious around people in general, or a fear of socializing, being judged, etc. that's a different thing. That's not introversion. That's an anxiety problem. But if you're just someone who straight up doesn't need as much human interaction as others do then...well, so what? :)
Add a Comment: