Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68

Do you ever feel like you're stuck inside your own body?

:iconfrenetic-ride:
frenetic-ride Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I do, indeed.

I developed chronic back problems a couple of years back. I feel considerable pain during the majority of the day and sometimes it tends to get very frustrating. I was forced to give up a variety of activities I used to enjoy such as horse riding, kickboxing and many more things I took for granted before. I am constantly aware of my physical limitations; for example, I can't sleep on my stomach nor sit on the floor. I have tried to come to terms with my condition, yet I sometimes find it difficult to embrace fully love my body. I hear back pain is common, so anyone out there with a similar problem? If so, how do you cope?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshintai88:
Shintai88 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I have some minor back pain, I don't sleep on a soft mattress, and has reduced the pain and probably help straigten it.
If that doesn't help see an acupunture practitioner, as Acupuncture can help to reduce the chronic pain, and it becomes more effective as it goes on.

Its currently funded by the NHS cause its a cheaper alternaltive to painkillers. And the effects are more lasting.
:iconmitchialia:
Mitchialia Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Can't say I know what that feels like because I have no issues what so ever. However just remember there are plenty of things you can do in this world that don't require back strain or serious physical activity. Lots of really fun things if you get creative I'm sure you can discover a hidden talent that's just as fun that you didn't know you could do before. (and those past hobbies are probably the cause of your condition so maybe it's a sign not to do them).
:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Most people with chronic conditions do. It's hard to explain to people that i'm not lazy, i'm exhausted by even the smallest of tasks sometimes. My body doesn't absorb vitamin B12 (which deals with your energy levels) normally, so I have to have injections. On top of that, I have hypothyroidism and the shame of the swelling in my neck and the weight gain is something i've had to deal with my entire life.

There are ways to deal. Finding a good doctor who will listen to your concerns is one. Understanding the risks and benefits of different medications and exercises is another. The important thing is to never allow yourself to get stuck in that trapped feeling. You may feel trapped, but there are any number of ways to escape if you're patient.

Also, this occasionally makes me feel better: [link]
frenetic-ride Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I absolutely hate having to explain my condition to people over and over again. Most of them assume that I'm lazy or simply exaggerating :X

The latest doctor I've been to was so shitty. She kept insisting that since I can control urinating then I am fine. I dont understand her logic :no:

And yeah, I am trying to concentrate on positive things lately. I love the link you've sent, it makes a lot of sense :)
:iconimperius-rex:
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Chiropractic care and massage therapy will work wonders for your back! You should also consider taking daily supplements of turmeric and fish oil. :nod:
frenetic-ride Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd kill for a massage right now :(

And I do take those supplements already, mostly because I heard it's good for your hair and skin, I started once I stopped eating meat and chicken :shrug:
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My back pain was really bad over the weekend and I feel a lot better after getting a massage and adjustment at the chiropractor.

Are you vegetarian then? :o
frenetic-ride Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What kind of back problems do you have, if you dont mind me asking?

And yes I am :D
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I used to have posture problems, but now it's mostly lower back pain and stiffness.
:iconcassiuseos:
Cassiuseos Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
It could be worse, you could be transgendered :(...I feel trapped in so many aspects of life and disgusted with parts of my body.
Add a Comment: