Do you ever feel like you're stuck inside your own body?

I do, indeed.

I developed chronic back problems a couple of years back. I feel considerable pain during the majority of the day and sometimes it tends to get very frustrating. I was forced to give up a variety of activities I used to enjoy such as horse riding, kickboxing and many more things I took for granted before. I am constantly aware of my physical limitations; for example, I can't sleep on my stomach nor sit on the floor. I have tried to come to terms with my condition, yet I sometimes find it difficult to embrace fully love my body. I hear back pain is common, so anyone out there with a similar problem? If so, how do you cope?
Comments69
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have some minor back pain, I don't sleep on a soft mattress, and has reduced the pain and probably help straigten it.
If that doesn't help see an acupunture practitioner, as Acupuncture can help to reduce the chronic pain, and it becomes more effective as it goes on.

Its currently funded by the NHS cause its a cheaper alternaltive to painkillers. And the effects are more lasting.
Can't say I know what that feels like because I have no issues what so ever. However just remember there are plenty of things you can do in this world that don't require back strain or serious physical activity. Lots of really fun things if you get creative I'm sure you can discover a hidden talent that's just as fun that you didn't know you could do before. (and those past hobbies are probably the cause of your condition so maybe it's a sign not to do them).
Most people with chronic conditions do. It's hard to explain to people that i'm not lazy, i'm exhausted by even the smallest of tasks sometimes. My body doesn't absorb vitamin B12 (which deals with your energy levels) normally, so I have to have injections. On top of that, I have hypothyroidism and the shame of the swelling in my neck and the weight gain is something i've had to deal with my entire life.

There are ways to deal. Finding a good doctor who will listen to your concerns is one. Understanding the risks and benefits of different medications and exercises is another. The important thing is to never allow yourself to get stuck in that trapped feeling. You may feel trapped, but there are any number of ways to escape if you're patient.

Also, this occasionally makes me feel better: [link]
I absolutely hate having to explain my condition to people over and over again. Most of them assume that I'm lazy or simply exaggerating :X

The latest doctor I've been to was so shitty. She kept insisting that since I can control urinating then I am fine. I dont understand her logic :no:

And yeah, I am trying to concentrate on positive things lately. I love the link you've sent, it makes a lot of sense :)
Chiropractic care and massage therapy will work wonders for your back! You should also consider taking daily supplements of turmeric and fish oil. :nod:
I'd kill for a massage right now :(

And I do take those supplements already, mostly because I heard it's good for your hair and skin, I started once I stopped eating meat and chicken :shrug:
My back pain was really bad over the weekend and I feel a lot better after getting a massage and adjustment at the chiropractor.

Are you vegetarian then? :o
What kind of back problems do you have, if you dont mind me asking?

And yes I am :D
I used to have posture problems, but now it's mostly lower back pain and stiffness.
It could be worse, you could be transgendered :(...I feel trapped in so many aspects of life and disgusted with parts of my body.
Are you planning to do anything about it? I mean, did you disclose your status to family and friends? And any thoughts of transition? :?
Not much really...I know that if I tried to transition that would cause so many more problems for me in terms of fitting it with society and not drawing unwanted attention, especially in finding a job. I also know that I would still never really feel that I am in the right body but just in a morphed version of the wrong one, I would always fear that people will discover the truth and I do not want that paranoia. As for my family I did tell them, they decided to ignore it and think it is just a phase and that I am a very 'imaginative' person, which was an okay reaction given that they are very conservative. I told a few close friends and they were accepting though talking to them about it does not help much since it is not a problem I can 'work on'.
Societies suck. You will always be judged for one reason or the other. I am sorry that you are not receiving the proper support from your family. I come from a conservative family too, so I kind of understand where you're coming from. However, I disagree with the negative views you seem to hold regarding being judged. I've recently met someone who has undergone the gender reassignment surgery. I found her to be very interesting, mainly because she was confident, had an amazing sense of humor and was very comfortable in her own skin. She decided to bring the topic up although I would've never guessed it myself, and I didnt feel like my views of her changed afterwards. Point is, you should do what you want to and not care less what others think. :B
Find a good massage therapist. Find a nice one, especially; because they can massage you and you can talk to them about what's been happening. (My parents met because my dad was a massage therapist in the 90's.) Deep tissue massages will help, or just any kind. Just go gentle on yourself.
I usually tend to get pissed off because I don't like to be touched and poked much. However, I was in Thailand for the summer, and I decided to give it a shot again. It was the best thing ever, I left feeling soo happy and relaxed. Hmm, I guess I gotta find a good therapist here. Thanks for the comment!:love:
You're welcome. :huggle:
[link]

Drugs can never ever ever adjust your vertebrae. Try This method.
This looks kinda scary to be honest, what if I irritate a nerve or something? It doesn't take much for it to flare up anyways :/
the method was created by a young Ballet Dancer whom suffered and accident in practice.

I understand you concern. In general Nerve issues come from the nerve being pinched between verterbrae.

Buy Elaine's online and the are easier and better,. She gives a book and a CD.

With balls, you control the pressure, you control the point, you control the stretch, however when you see a Dr. or Ther. they control the pressure, and they determine when, how and where you will pop, that is the problem with adjustment by others.

I am not a desk jockey and neither are my friends. If you are a active person and want to be an active person the rest of your life you have 2 choices. Period. Regardless of what 1000 deviants tell you. You can go to a Shiatsu Dr. or you can use Ball.

Walking into a Chiro. Office and getting an adjustment, and 10 min. of electricity will not help do anything but make you poor. :D

The Human body is self-adjusting. You learn how to adjust it and you can do it for the rest of your life...FREE.

Believe, I hear you, and hell yeah, it hurts, but it hurts if you do not try either.

Try this one time... Take a piece of 2 inch pipe and lay on it across your butt for 5 minutes and then slide out the pipe and relax, you will feel less pressure on all of you L-vert. Look at the spine of a baby... they are flat when they lay down. Now you lay down...hmmm not so flat. Mine is not flat just like yours...lay on balls for 30min in the right locations and you will flatten out also.

The last time I wrecked my bike I got staples in my head for two weeks, the pain in my back was gone in 2 days on balls, and would have been 2 months if I went to a Dr. every 2 days for a total of $1000. vs. a set Miracle Balls for $25
I do agree with you that the human body is self-adjusting and all. However, I'm still not totally convinced. Can you be held liable for this if I end up on a wheelchair? :B
it is not a race, use two balls, if you turn into a cripple i will rent you a wheelchair and push you around till your repaired (not gonna happen.)
It's because you are.
Yes, I have the same problem, my left knee is also bad. Sometimes I have to wear a back brace and walk with a cane, and there are days when I can't stand up for more than 2 minutes without horrible pain.

I used to break horses for a living (I kickboxed, too) and that combined with an extra vertebrae with a very thin disc just sort of wore me out. Probably 6 years ago my back got so bad that I couldn't ride anymore. I still walked alot- I believe exercising is often the best thing for injury- but it was pretty painful and I had to use a cane.

About 2 years ago I started to use DMSO ([link]). The page is wrong about the prescription part, you can get it online or in many tack or horse supply places.

I started putting it on topically, and it's amazing. Within a few minutes my back started to feel better. After using it twice a day for three months my chronic back pain was GONE.

I'm still hurt easily, but it's way better than it was. Sometimes there are days when the DMSO doesn't help, when it's really really bad.

It got really, really bad again a few months ago. I got a massage, and she suggested I do a natural cleanse to remove any toxins in my body. So I got a blend of milk thistle, licorice, fennel, and dandelion and took the caplets three times a day for a week. My back got better after two days.

Otherwise, lots of gentle exercise, stretching, moving your back around as much as you can without being in severe pain.

I've found it very helpful to separate myself from my body mentally, to pull away from my awareness of pain and focus on other things. I used to live in a very pretty town, and walked all over with my daughter. I'd be in real pain, but the scenery was so beautiful that I could distract myself. I do the same thing with drawing.
Isn't DMSO controversial though? I mean it kinda sounds scary with its strong ability to penetrate through the skin, what about all the potential side effects? Like what's up with the weird smell/taste you get as a side effect? :hmm:

A natural cleanse sounds nice, I'd love to get rid of all the toxins in my body :/

And I agree with the exercise part and separating yourself mentally, good advice! :hug: