Losing Home

It's been a fairly rough year for my husband and I. Although it did start out really great. Last November we had moved into a home that had been built for us. It was perfect. Fitted our needs and our small family that included two dogs and two cats. We had been married for twelve years and had done plenty of moving around, so this was to be our forever home...the last place for us to be.

But in February my husband was hospitalized with a condition called Wegeners Vasculitis. Not sure if anyone will know what that is, but it's a fairly rough auto-immune disease that effects the red blood cells and blood vessels. It caused him to go into kidney failure; and is currently on dialysis while waiting for a new kidney.

Now...while all that was happening, my husband could no longer work. Therefore, we could no longer pay any of our bills. We had to wait for Social Security to look at his case and give a judgement whether or not he was disabled. It took six months before they could even give us a payment.

Our family members helped the best they could. His parents would pay for some of the utilities while my parents would help pay for our car. But there was no way anyone could help with the house payment. It was way too much to handle.

Plus, it doesn't help that the mortgage company promises to help you out then doesn't talk to you or tells you the same information over and over. They also say they're missing paperwork that we have sent them already. Nothing makes sense to me.

I think I need some help. Not sure what kind, but I definitely need it.

I would get a job myself to earn the money to pay the debt, but I'm disabled, too. The only thing I can really do at the moment is some commission work.

If anyone has any ideas or would like to help me out, please give me a note. I would appreciate any and all help. I really would.
Comments23
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I had a thought, my roommate works at our local library and, besides picking up and pushing books, you're not required to stay on your feet much. Also, when I worked as a secretary at my tourist-y job, I sat for most of the day and remember standing just to get my legs to stop tingling! It was pretty basic stuff, answer the phones/emails and process orders. Hopefully you and Gene are able to find something :C I wish there was more that I could do and I know you're trying very hard to make things work. Still keeping my fingers crossed that something comes along.
We're thinking of going to the local newspaper place (where I used to work) and try to get a paper route. We could only really need to drive the car and have one of us roll up the papers. Together we make one human being. Sad, but it's the truth. XD
I had a perfect home too back then. And I lost it, long story. I think Online Work such as Commission isn't a bad idea. Consider you need to help your husband and family needs. But do remember that Commissions aren't easy as we previously thought. Especially when it comes with Dollars Commission. Well, in any case, I'm not an expert at these stuff, I'm still 18 after all. Good luck with life senior!
Any little bit does help. I understand the commissions are hard to come by. Been doing them for 15 years. LOL!! But it's still worth a shot.
Really? Good to hear that. Jobs are hard to find lately...
That they are. Doesn't help when you're disabled and no one wants to hire you because of it.
Just have to hope for the best.
Yes, online work that doesn't require you to really MOVE will work...
But give up the "perfect" house? Yes, no matter how perfect the house may be, I think you should just leave it and find a cheaper one that doesn't work you to death. Pay for whatever you've consumed or that time you stayed, but just leave it and find a cheaper one and save your money. That's what I would do.
This happens to be the cheapest one for us. We got this house with the VA loan that my husband got from being in the military. If we lose this house after all the troubles from after these past six months, we won't be able to get another for some time.

Although with what happened to us, I don't really think we want to try to get another house. My husband seems pretty content on never trying to own a house again. I think this illness has disheartened him greatly.
Okay, then...the best thing to do would be to cheer up your husband and "undishearten" him.

Good luck.
I try to keep him happy, but it's pretty hard when he's always on dialysis. Having to be reminded of your limitations every day puts a damper on your daily moments. But I understand what you're saying and I appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to at least comment.
No matter how painful or heavy something is, time is maybe the only best cure for it.

You're welcome.
So how disabled are you?

If you aren't bed ridden then you can still work.
I had a job last year, but lost it due to the fact i cannot stand longer than four hours. My bosses wanted an explanation from my doctor about my limitations in order to keep me working. But unfortunately, for some reason, the receptionist said my doctor wasn't allowed to do do. Lost my job. Plus i have a habit of seizures and passing out.
Calling center.
Calling center? Which one?
whichever is near you?
Verizon, tv providers, customer services, sears, etc.
The list is endless.
We have talked to our congresswoman before and we'll probably be doing the same again. Plus we just talked to a organization called 'Please Save Our Homes' and they will try to help us with saving the house.
I forgot to mention that he was previously medically retired from the Marine Corps due to have Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis. So my husband already had his bout with illnesses. He never wanted to leave the Corps. It was his dream job. Like his father before him. Cut short due to becoming sick.

Luckily though, he does get a VA disability pay for those two diseases. And due to the new one, he has put in to up his claim. That, however, is another waiting game we can't afford to play.