The Loss of a Pet

I wanted to give my guinea pig Scuzzy a good life. I was his fourth home and he was so neglected by his former owners; the poor thing had lice, and they hadn't clipped his toenails, so his toes ended up permanently pointing at odd angles.

I had him for a year and seventh months but we bonded so closely during that time. I only wish I'd had him when he was young so we could've had many years together. From what I was told from his previous family, he couldn't have been any younger than seven years old when he died.

All I had in the past were hamsters, which of course I enjoyed and took care of, but they really don't get close to you like a guinea pig does. I loved Scuzzy with all my heart. That's why I gave him the name that I did. I got him shortly after the show Reboot was finally released on DVD. Hexadecimal, my favorite character, had a pet named SCSI (pronounced Scuzzy) which I thought would be an adorable name.

Sad thing is, Scuzzy was originally named "Lucky". I tried calling him that but got no response. He soon picked up on the fact "Scuzzy" was associated with him and he'd get so excited when he'd hear his name, chirping and wheeking whenever I said it.

I was just so determined to have him die of old age. I changed his cage constantly because of how much guinea pigs potty but somehow he still got what both the vet and I thought was a UTI. He was getting shots but ended up dying early in the morning in October. That's what upsets me the most and it makes me think it's all my fault he didn't live longer.

I still can't get over this and don't really know what to do. Like, should I give it more time or actually seek a therapist? What's beyond pathetic is that sometimes I miss holding him so much I grab a stuff animal to place on my lap since I so frequently had Scuzzy there.

I know everyone is different, but how was it for you guys?
Comments30
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Losing a pet is really difficult. I lost my dog about six months ago, and I had a really hard time with it, mostly because not having her there was way too strange. Honestly, not having her around still feels off- we had her for 10-11 years, but it would've felt the same if we only had her for one or two. Don't blame yourself, feel free to be miserable for a little bit, then keep going. And at least you'll have good memories of your guinea pig. Sorry about Scuzzy (cute name, btw). It sounds like he lived quite a long time for a guinea, and it looks like he had a decent last year.
Edit: Oh wow, it was only three months ago.
Don't blame yourself, you did what you could to make him happy and comfortable. Guinea pig's expected life span is usually somewhere around 7 to 10 years anyway, so he was pretty old when you got him. I know loosing a loved one is hard, I've been there so many times with all the animals me and my family has had in the past.
I'll add that for at least a month after my cat died I kept hearing her and seeing her in the corner of my eye. Sometimes we are so used to them being there and being a constant in our lives that we forget they aren't there anymore.
5 years ago i went to chicago for my brother's graduation and when i returned home i found my elderly cat lying in a clothes pile crying. She was dehydrated and hadn't eaten anything. The caretaker (neighbor) said "She wasn't eating her food and I didn't know what to do". I tried to give her water and revive her, but she died in my arms.
That was sad

But, she was 16, she had a good, long life.

My dog is now 15 year old, she doesn't have much time left, but she's also had a good life, she was abused when she was little and we adopted her at ~1 year old

No matter if a life is long or short, you did everything you could to keep Scuzzy happy, and you did, so do not feel bad over his death, just because an average is x years doesn't mean they will make it to that, or they can live well beyond it.

Cherish the time you had with your friend, and it's okay to mourn. People who don't have pets don't understand that it's like losing a family member.
I have a fat cat that rarely leaves the yard. She is under a bush or on the porch. Then she was gone. I looked all over for her and even walked up and down the street to see if she had been run over but she was no where to be found. I really missed her. She was gone for like 3 days. But last night my room mate said she was back. I went a gave her a big hug. Don't know where she was but she is back, and I know if something had happened to her I would be really sad. Sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry :( I know how you feel. My rabbit died a year ago, and I still miss her so bad. I was in the same situation where I didn't want her to die of illness. I'd been away on holiday just before she died, too :( I felt like I'd failed her.

Just remember that it wasn't your fault. You did what you could for him, and there's no way that you let him down.

A couple of things that help me is that I wrote in a diary, my fave things about her, memories of her and how I felt. Also, drawing her helps sometimes. Idk what you think of homeopathy, but imo my homeopath did help me out.

Xxxxx
7 years is a good age for a g-pig, and given that he was neglected before you got him, it was an old age to reach.
You did well. :hug:

I cry hard, when I lose a pet. I've had g-pigs most of my life, and they truly are wonderful pets.

My best advice to you, is to get two new ones. (They need each other, as they're pack animals.) If you can wranglet it, get a female and a snipped male - they snip at shelters, I believe, and sell them at a little higher cost.
Get two that don't look like Scuzzy at all, so you won't constantly compare and feel sad. If yopu get two, you'll get to see al that fun interaction stuff. Talking, playing, arguing, and getting each other riled up at feeding times, and so much more.

It's OK to love again, and it doesn't mean you're somehow letting Scuzzy down.

If you do decide to get a couple of shelter pigs, know that they might be damaged from earlier, but also know that you would be a wonderful forever-home for them.
My sis broke our first guinea pig's neck years ago...
You'll get over it eventually.
I am ever so sorry. I know what it feels like only my cats were murdered and my sister neglected her ferret which hurt so much. happen a week ago.
So i am so sorry about your loss
I know what it feels like to lose a loved pet. I lost my black cat, Pancho, last February. I was sad for quite a bit but then I began to focus on positive things. I gave my cat a long, healthy, happy life. He was my best friend! We had really good times together. But unfortunately, pets aren't eternally young. He got old. It was his time to go.

It sounds like you gave Scuzzy a happy life while you had him. A life that made up for the neglect his past owners put him through. Not to mention you gave him friendship and a meaningful bond. You should try to focus on the happier times you had with Scuzzy. <<3
Losing a pet is a lot like losing a person. :( (Lord knows the day when my dog goes to those happy hills in the sky), I think you should give yourself time to properly mourn about it. Maybe seek a professional after a week or so of properly mourning. It's really hard to lose anyone. Do things you like, maybe even what Scuzzy liked. I think you really need one of these: :huggle:
It's nice to hear someone else feels that way too; I really hate when people push aside the impact an animal has in a person's life just because it wasn't another human.

Thanks for your input. I think I will just give it more time and see if I do need to end up talking to someone. I was just kind of worried I was being a bit abnormal in regards to how I was feeling/acting in regards to his passing.
Pets are a different story..even if you get a new one, you can't replace Scuzzy, right? You know what you need? Time. Time. Time. Let the time pass, and you'll heal eventually.
seriously, get a new guinea pig! :D

What's crazy is I had a siberian husky and you could place my husky in your story almost exactly, he was neglected by previous owners and I tried to give him a great life, he only lived for two years with me and I loved him so much, he ended up passing away from a very rare disorder. but when he was in the animal hospital they did X-rays and it showed he had been shot with a pellet gun, a pellet was lodged in his body.

the story ends with... I GOT A NEW HUSKY AND HE IS AWESOME TOO!!! YAY :D :D :D :D :D

kota R.I.P.

NEW HUSKY COSMO!!!!! :heart:
To me a statement like that is pretty insensitive; it's like telling a mom who lost her kid to just have another baby.

Yes, of course I understand that one day you have to move on and maybe get a new pet if you're up to it. However, each pet is special with their own personality. Scuzzy was very special and I very much doubt another guinea pig could fill his shoes.
Stay off the HWL section, kid.
lol, it's not my fault you're an idiot. I carried my dog's limp body in my arms as I ran into the emergency vet sharing his last breaths with him. My advice was 100% serious until you made an absolutely ridiculous comparison. I felt the same way about my best friend. you are right it is about moving on, if you don't you suffer.

goodbye.
It's not my fault you came off as a total and absolute insensitive prick.

How is it ridiculous? I think it is just as bad to dismiss what an impact an animal had on a person's life by just dismissing it and telling them to go out and get a new pet. You made it sound like you were just like "Oh well! My dog's dead! Let's just get a new one! No biggie!"
it is obviously never like that.

I was not insensitive in my first post.

and for the record, even a mother who loses a child has to move on.

goodbye. lighten up there big girl :)
View all replies
It's always sad to lose a pet, and it's especially sad to lose them early.

[link]

You will get over it someday, but don't beat yourself up for mourning. It what people do when they lose something or someone they love.

If it helps, 7 years old is fairly well along for a guinea pig. Considering how neglected he was for so long, he lived a long time, and because of YOU he died well cared for and loved. His last year and a half was a happy one. You did that for him.
I'm so sorry about your cat. You had it so much worse because not only did you have your own pain but your kids' as well to deal with.
The kids dealt with it OK. My younger son still talks about her. I don't think he yet conceives of death as something permanent.

It was about half a year before I got out of the habit of checking behind my chair before rolling back, so I understand your reply to x666NiGhTmArE666x. You develop these affectionate habits, and because they come out of real love they don't just go away.

I've been thinking about her lately, mainly because we're preparing to move and we have to leave our "cat cemetery" behind. We lost several cats while in our current house, most of them due to old age. 18 is old for a cat.