Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

HRT, cancer.. Frickin' age restriction.

:iconkasimere:
Kasimere Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, today after this rather icky blood test at the hospital today I was given these pills- for like estrogen replacement for my bones and skin and what not... It's the kind that doesn't give me periods cus well, I said to the doctor 'what's the point in having a period when it means nothing for me? I can't have a kiddy so why should I waste money on 'womanly products' I digress...

So, I open the leaflet- everything about it spouts shit about 'killing me' and giving me all types of cancer and shit. But all of the information is directed at people above 50.

So, what do I do? The dangers scare me but I'm nowhere near 50! So do they even apply to me? The doctor mentioned nothing about this. Should I just go to a GP? I honestly don't wanna take it until I know the risks of my own age group.

I mean, I'd rather have brittle bones and bad skin then die of cancer before I'm even 30.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbenji-0:
benji-0 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If he didn't mention it, that's probably because the risks are negligible and didn't want to cause you undue worry.

...though you seem to have done that on your own.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
living increases your risk of cancer, my advice? just fucking live and stop worrying about all that shit. If you had one day left to live wouldn't you want to make the most of it?
Life sucks and we all get fucked one way or another, my health is utter shit and I've got all kinds of crap wrong with me but instead of worrying I focus on projects.
Kasimere Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I sense a hint of self righteousness there.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconhmmminterestingplz: do you now
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
"Increased risk of cancer" doesn't mean you're going to get cancer. Every effective medical treatment has risks that must be balanced against the benefits.

What are the risks associated with brittle bones? What is the actual additional cancer risk of hormone replacement therapy? What kind of cancer is risk elevated for, and how treatable is it? (Not all cancers are the same.) These and others are definitely questions you should talk over with your regular doctor so that you can make an informed decision.
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
I'd ask the doctor if anything, but chances are if there were a realistic chance of causing anything like cancer then it wouldn't have been prescribed to you. Since the warnings are for people with risk factors you don't seem to have I don't think it's worth freaking out over.

My old birth control increased my risk of blood clots... but really only if I were a smoker over age 35. :hmm:
:iconshadowyeclipse:
ShadowyEclipse Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'll go and say what everyone else has said.

Contact doctor. If you get green light, take them.

If you feel sick, contact better doctor.
:iconilovebigcats:
ILoveBigCats Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Every single medication going has risks, it's just a case of how likely they are to occur. My contraceptive pill has a list of potential side effects as long as my arm, I've had none of them. If they start making you ill, then see a doctor, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it :)
:iconbeesull:
BeeSull Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
I wouldn't take it before asking my doctor about it, but that's just me. :shrug:
Kasimere Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Makes sense.
Add a Comment: