Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Choosing between secure job or art-career

:iconnilanandita:
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
First, please excuse my horrible grammar, lol.

I've been passionated to art since I was kid. I just realized it when I was in college, when I got my first computer and finding time exploring digital art. (pretty late, huh?) whenever I found free time, I keep drawing and drawing, so that I can improve more and more...until now.
After I graduated, I was looking for quite-well-paid-job which was related to art (and of course my mother didn't approve it :XD: she prefers me to take job with high-esteem and high salary). I don't have art-degree nor graphic design background, so here I'm, working as a editorial staff in local book publisher.
I like reading books and at first the working atmosphere here was nice, my colleagues are friendly, and the job wasn't so tight that I still could spare my time browsing internet with my office computer (though still forbidden to work on my personal art).
Lately after 2 years, I found it was becoming tedious and frustrating. Financial problems, unbalancing works, no career-flow and most importantly, I keep thinking that how many time I can spend into my art if I don't just sit here, doing office job.
For 8 hours every work day, I keep sitting in front of my office computer, and when the job finished and came the time when I need to work on my own art in front of my personal computer, I oftenly feel very tired, dizzy, and back pained. (that's why I procrastinate my art a lot)
My mom who was already approved my job here, insisted I don't leave this job and my friends, keep telling me how lucky I'm, have a job here since it's so hard to find a job with such friendly rules. Yeah finding job in my country- especially for introverts- is very hard.

I've been thinking to fulfill my dream as a fulltime manga artist. I did many commissions, tried to build my webmanga in some promising online publishers, but to keep it updated in steady pace is such a pain in the ass with my current condition.
I'm not popular nor great artist compared to any other amazing artists here in DA... competition is very tight and leaving a secure job could mean a disaster if I fail. I need to fund my family after they retire. I'm no longer young (24, sob) and sooner must face what it's called a marriage life. :(
So anyone here have similar experience or good advice, share please? I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you for reading.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnhprodigio:
nhprodigio Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I'm usually the first person to say "go for it! Follow your dreams!" but from what you've said, it sounds like there are some other circumstances and responsibilities that you'd have to deal with first :( I know it's really hard to balance work and following your passion but maybe you could try taking online or night classes for a while? You might also try doing your art on the weekends so you're not so tired. I really wish I could say more to help you out but I really don't know what else to say. I wouldn't leave my secure job right away but maybe you could after you get a degree or find something that pays as well but gives more freedom for you to work on art... IDK?
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hi, thank you so much for your advice :hug: I really appreciate it :D
yup, I usually do art on weekend, but I feel like the time still isn't enough.
Altough it's hard, I'll keep trying to balance both of them :) like finding a new job or making own business, which will give me more freedom to make art, though.
I wish in my country, online classes is available.. if it's, it would be so great!
:iconsadisticmedic:
sadisticmedic Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
go for the secure job, but do some art on the side.
that way, you can have both!
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yes, I'm still trying to balance both. :)
thank you for your advice :hug:
:iconlaiden-cerise:
Laiden-Cerise Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Nila dear!
I had a similar experience! I wanna cry *hugs*
You know, i loved art too---so much that even if I didn't graduate from
an art school I had decided to try to work as an admin assistant
in my dream animation school and left my job as an admin & finance
assistant in a nice company with the nice pay. :( I failed dear,
I was unable to go to the animation school I wanted to work for because
I had to do a turn-over of my work to the new employee replacing me on my previous
job...it was a sad experience and you know I also had parents to support
and other siblings I need to help send to school.
Good thing I was able to find a job back again as an admin..sad to say I was
unable to get to my art dream..but art dream will always be alive in me
My advise is that make sure you have a secure job offer before
you leave your job. I know how hard it is dear (yep, my country is just near your country
waaaaah) but you must always try to balance things especially for your
family. We all have things to do but try your best to keep drawing.
You're a very talented artist dear, I know you didn't draw for the fame,
or for the money but because you really loved art.
Don't be disheartened. Never Give Up! Try to find an animation studio that
can give you training on animation at the same time can give you the
salary you need. Cheers and goodluck! I believe in you dear!!!
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi Aldine dear, :hug:
aww, let's cry together..:iconpapcryplz: *give you tight hug* I'm sorry to hear that, dear.. but gladly you could find a job again as a admin.
I just notice we have a lot of similarities. :D our age, administrative background (I'm majoring business administration, btw) even our countries conditions are close to each other, hehe..
thank you so much for your great advice :glomp: yup, I'll keep try balancing passion and family need then. My current office right now is facing very serious problems on financial and credibility matters. I need to look for another job or prepare myself to start small business. -which'll give me more flexible time- :D
And good luck to you too, dear. I hope someday you could reach your dream to work on animation school. let's never give up :iconepichighfiveplz:
Laiden-Cerise Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hi Nila! *hugs*
waaaah We have the same course *cries*
My course is also Business Administration
major in Management, yes and our age (hahaha
though I thought I'm older than you waaah)
Your very welcome, I'm so happy for you
because you were able to draw really nice though
you didn't finish an art course, I'm so proud of you!!
Awwww try your best to find a job before your
company goes bankrupt or anything worse happens
jobstreet.com has many job openings!
Yep! lets never give up! :iconaawplz:
Laiden-Cerise Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Awwww Nila dear, I had a similar experience
I loved art much too...I left my stable job
as an admin and finance assistant in a nice
company so I can work as an admin assistant
in an animation company but horribly failed.
Then I had so much financial problems after that
I had to support my family too thats
why I decided to come back to my
admin job after a couple of months
even though I had promised myself I'll chase
after my art dream. :(
It was sad but I decided that my family matters
more, I decided to work back in the admin department
and now I have a steady-paying job.
My advice is that before you leave
your current job, make sure that
you have a next job that is secure.
Do not leave your current job while you have not
found a sure job to replace it. I hope this helps.
If you can't do anime artworks full time still
try to do it part time. I hope for your success Nila,
and I wish you luck. Never Give up!
and oh we're the same age ahahaha
:icondepinz:
depinz Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hmmm, sama seperti yg sy rasakan sekarang :|
rasanya sy sudah menghabiskan banyak waktu untuk kerja ketimbang mengasah ilmu dan berlatih,
apalagi waktu melihat inbox yang berisi gambar teman" yang sekarang tambah amazing, dalam hati mikir,
"kapan ya saya punya waktu untuk practice" atau "pengen deh kerja kayak begitu, kapan ya, tapi sayang bt ninggalin kerjaan sekarang yang prospeknya meyakinkan", so sampai sekarang saya masih stuk di sini" saja, gallery terbengkalai, dll :| :cries:

terkadang kenyataan tidak seusuai dengan apa yg diimpikan,tpi tidak ada salahnya untuk terus ngejar mimpi *_* coz our dream is in our hand, and we try to make it, and God make it real! *_*
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mbak Devi aja yang uda dewi mikir bgitu... apalagi saya.. *terpuruk* :iconotlplz:
that's totally right. suka sakit hati ngeliat gambar tmen2 yg uda improve jauuh bner. seketika langsung timbul niat buat ikut ngejar... eh waktunya ngga ada.. :iconwhywhyplz: dan ini juga scara nggak langsung berdampak ke kerjaan kantorku, jadi ogah-ogahan terus ngelaksanain tugas. :( nggak ada yang fokus jadinya. huhu..
tapi saya akan tetap berjuang menyeimbangkan keduanya (passion and money), karena saya orang maruk wahahaha :lol:
Yang penting, it doesn't matter if you lose your way sometimes, just don't lose sight of what you've decided, right. :)
thank you for sharing, :hug:
Add a Comment: