Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Choosing between secure job or art-career

:iconnilanandita:
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
First, please excuse my horrible grammar, lol.

I've been passionated to art since I was kid. I just realized it when I was in college, when I got my first computer and finding time exploring digital art. (pretty late, huh?) whenever I found free time, I keep drawing and drawing, so that I can improve more and more...until now.
After I graduated, I was looking for quite-well-paid-job which was related to art (and of course my mother didn't approve it :XD: she prefers me to take job with high-esteem and high salary). I don't have art-degree nor graphic design background, so here I'm, working as a editorial staff in local book publisher.
I like reading books and at first the working atmosphere here was nice, my colleagues are friendly, and the job wasn't so tight that I still could spare my time browsing internet with my office computer (though still forbidden to work on my personal art).
Lately after 2 years, I found it was becoming tedious and frustrating. Financial problems, unbalancing works, no career-flow and most importantly, I keep thinking that how many time I can spend into my art if I don't just sit here, doing office job.
For 8 hours every work day, I keep sitting in front of my office computer, and when the job finished and came the time when I need to work on my own art in front of my personal computer, I oftenly feel very tired, dizzy, and back pained. (that's why I procrastinate my art a lot)
My mom who was already approved my job here, insisted I don't leave this job and my friends, keep telling me how lucky I'm, have a job here since it's so hard to find a job with such friendly rules. Yeah finding job in my country- especially for introverts- is very hard.

I've been thinking to fulfill my dream as a fulltime manga artist. I did many commissions, tried to build my webmanga in some promising online publishers, but to keep it updated in steady pace is such a pain in the ass with my current condition.
I'm not popular nor great artist compared to any other amazing artists here in DA... competition is very tight and leaving a secure job could mean a disaster if I fail. I need to fund my family after they retire. I'm no longer young (24, sob) and sooner must face what it's called a marriage life. :(
So anyone here have similar experience or good advice, share please? I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you for reading.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnhprodigio:
nhprodigio Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I'm usually the first person to say "go for it! Follow your dreams!" but from what you've said, it sounds like there are some other circumstances and responsibilities that you'd have to deal with first :( I know it's really hard to balance work and following your passion but maybe you could try taking online or night classes for a while? You might also try doing your art on the weekends so you're not so tired. I really wish I could say more to help you out but I really don't know what else to say. I wouldn't leave my secure job right away but maybe you could after you get a degree or find something that pays as well but gives more freedom for you to work on art... IDK?
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hi, thank you so much for your advice :hug: I really appreciate it :D
yup, I usually do art on weekend, but I feel like the time still isn't enough.
Altough it's hard, I'll keep trying to balance both of them :) like finding a new job or making own business, which will give me more freedom to make art, though.
I wish in my country, online classes is available.. if it's, it would be so great!
:iconsadisticmedic:
sadisticmedic Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
go for the secure job, but do some art on the side.
that way, you can have both!
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yes, I'm still trying to balance both. :)
thank you for your advice :hug:
:iconlaiden-cerise:
Laiden-Cerise Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Nila dear!
I had a similar experience! I wanna cry *hugs*
You know, i loved art too---so much that even if I didn't graduate from
an art school I had decided to try to work as an admin assistant
in my dream animation school and left my job as an admin & finance
assistant in a nice company with the nice pay. :( I failed dear,
I was unable to go to the animation school I wanted to work for because
I had to do a turn-over of my work to the new employee replacing me on my previous
job...it was a sad experience and you know I also had parents to support
and other siblings I need to help send to school.
Good thing I was able to find a job back again as an admin..sad to say I was
unable to get to my art dream..but art dream will always be alive in me
My advise is that make sure you have a secure job offer before
you leave your job. I know how hard it is dear (yep, my country is just near your country
waaaaah) but you must always try to balance things especially for your
family. We all have things to do but try your best to keep drawing.
You're a very talented artist dear, I know you didn't draw for the fame,
or for the money but because you really loved art.
Don't be disheartened. Never Give Up! Try to find an animation studio that
can give you training on animation at the same time can give you the
salary you need. Cheers and goodluck! I believe in you dear!!!
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi Aldine dear, :hug:
aww, let's cry together..:iconpapcryplz: *give you tight hug* I'm sorry to hear that, dear.. but gladly you could find a job again as a admin.
I just notice we have a lot of similarities. :D our age, administrative background (I'm majoring business administration, btw) even our countries conditions are close to each other, hehe..
thank you so much for your great advice :glomp: yup, I'll keep try balancing passion and family need then. My current office right now is facing very serious problems on financial and credibility matters. I need to look for another job or prepare myself to start small business. -which'll give me more flexible time- :D
And good luck to you too, dear. I hope someday you could reach your dream to work on animation school. let's never give up :iconepichighfiveplz:
Laiden-Cerise Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hi Nila! *hugs*
waaaah We have the same course *cries*
My course is also Business Administration
major in Management, yes and our age (hahaha
though I thought I'm older than you waaah)
Your very welcome, I'm so happy for you
because you were able to draw really nice though
you didn't finish an art course, I'm so proud of you!!
Awwww try your best to find a job before your
company goes bankrupt or anything worse happens
jobstreet.com has many job openings!
Yep! lets never give up! :iconaawplz:
Laiden-Cerise Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Awwww Nila dear, I had a similar experience
I loved art much too...I left my stable job
as an admin and finance assistant in a nice
company so I can work as an admin assistant
in an animation company but horribly failed.
Then I had so much financial problems after that
I had to support my family too thats
why I decided to come back to my
admin job after a couple of months
even though I had promised myself I'll chase
after my art dream. :(
It was sad but I decided that my family matters
more, I decided to work back in the admin department
and now I have a steady-paying job.
My advice is that before you leave
your current job, make sure that
you have a next job that is secure.
Do not leave your current job while you have not
found a sure job to replace it. I hope this helps.
If you can't do anime artworks full time still
try to do it part time. I hope for your success Nila,
and I wish you luck. Never Give up!
and oh we're the same age ahahaha
:icondepinz:
depinz Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hmmm, sama seperti yg sy rasakan sekarang :|
rasanya sy sudah menghabiskan banyak waktu untuk kerja ketimbang mengasah ilmu dan berlatih,
apalagi waktu melihat inbox yang berisi gambar teman" yang sekarang tambah amazing, dalam hati mikir,
"kapan ya saya punya waktu untuk practice" atau "pengen deh kerja kayak begitu, kapan ya, tapi sayang bt ninggalin kerjaan sekarang yang prospeknya meyakinkan", so sampai sekarang saya masih stuk di sini" saja, gallery terbengkalai, dll :| :cries:

terkadang kenyataan tidak seusuai dengan apa yg diimpikan,tpi tidak ada salahnya untuk terus ngejar mimpi *_* coz our dream is in our hand, and we try to make it, and God make it real! *_*
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mbak Devi aja yang uda dewi mikir bgitu... apalagi saya.. *terpuruk* :iconotlplz:
that's totally right. suka sakit hati ngeliat gambar tmen2 yg uda improve jauuh bner. seketika langsung timbul niat buat ikut ngejar... eh waktunya ngga ada.. :iconwhywhyplz: dan ini juga scara nggak langsung berdampak ke kerjaan kantorku, jadi ogah-ogahan terus ngelaksanain tugas. :( nggak ada yang fokus jadinya. huhu..
tapi saya akan tetap berjuang menyeimbangkan keduanya (passion and money), karena saya orang maruk wahahaha :lol:
Yang penting, it doesn't matter if you lose your way sometimes, just don't lose sight of what you've decided, right. :)
thank you for sharing, :hug:
:icondepinz:
depinz Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
haha, ada bbrp minggu stelah kerja aku jadi ogah"an karena kepengen gbr, tapi stelah itu balik lagi semangat kerja,

betul itu, yang penting dua" ny pas ya gak *syjuga marukkokterutamauntukhalyangmenyangkuthobbi*, it's a good decision! :iconheplz: tengkyu jg sudah sharing ya :hug: sy senang ada yang senasib seperjuangan *ceile*
:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
maybe try doing some courses, so you can find a job more in the art field, like a graphic designer.
Another solution is find a part time job, or a job that is so bored and you have time to draw (not good for your job though, when you are not interested in it).
If I was you, I should try combining the two, so you still have money to live from, but also your art. I know it's difficult. I once dreamed of living from my art aswell. But I have up that one. I'll already be glad when I could teach people to draw.
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi, thank you so much for your great advice :hug:
Like you said, seems that playing safe is the best choice
finding part time job -which'll give me more free time to do art-, or learning courses so that I can find art-related job, or even.. making own business with flexible time.. All of them seem will work.
I remember one of my favourite song's lyric:
"Life is a bitch. if you're doing it easy, you're doing it wrong." lol
looks like we're already doing it right. :D even so, I'm still hoping you don't give up dreaming to be able to make a living from art...
because every artist is a dreamer.
whoops sorry I'm talking too much. I'm just happy to find that I'm not alone, to think about all of this.
Thank you once again :glomp:
:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
You are deffinately not alone! I think this is a problem every artist has. Having a good careed in art is also having a bit of luck. You must be succesfull, know the right people (try to find them!), and please them with what you make. Life as an artist is never easy ;-) I have already said a milion times that I wished I was normal and didn't want to be an artist. Ah to bad, I am not! :P Try to do your best to get there, and see you still have something you can live from (a starving artist can't work :P)
:icondarksaph:
DarkSaph Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
I think you should realise your dream. You're young and you must do that now even if you won't do it (I have the same problem, I quit a secure job to realise my dream (it's not drawing but it's a similar problem) for the moment it's a little bit difficult but I know when I will be older, it will be more difficult to change so...
I hope I help you a little (sorry for my bad english)
NilaNandita Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hi, :D thank you so much for sharing :hug: your english is okay, I can understand it.
wow, you're a brave one. I salute you.
Honestly, I really wish for doing the same. But because of my surrounding and my own doubt..I'm still stuck here,in the middle. lol I hope I can resolve it before it's too late :)
Good luck with your dream, and let's wish the best for both of us.
:icondarksaph:
DarkSaph Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Good luck to you too and thanks you!
:iconidnidveifencetum:
IdNiDveifencetum Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This is one of the greatest challenges a truly devoted artist HAS to face. Many members of my family have been faced with this kind of problem. They were passionate artists like you, and yes, their parents always said no, 'the risks are too great, what if you don't succeed? Where will you end up' < that's what they say.
I've been starting to think about this, too, recently. If I was in your situation I would take a stable job/career/subject AND AT THE SAME TIME take art, too. If you're unsuccessful with art, at least you'll have a fallback and won't end up a homeless bum. My family members who were faced with the same situation took up art as a hobby, and another job as their "profession". For instance, my dad loved art and photography and does it A LOT in his spare time, so people are surprised when they find out that he's actually a very qualified doctor.

And look - it's not a matter of competence and skill in art. Everyone's bound to improve as long as they practice. Competition is also out of the question because there's something called "uniqueness" and "style" that we find in each and every artist. So even the most skilled artists still face competition and don't earn a lot (if that was the case) because all artists (or most) are different.

Hope this helps...
hi, :D your comment really helps me a lot. Thank you so much for sharing :hug:
I was really down when I wrote this forum post, but after read your comment,- especially about uniqueness and style each artist has- I find a new confidence and motivation to keep moving forward.
p.s. your dad is awesome!

:iconidnidveifencetum:
IdNiDveifencetum Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My dad? har har har. Yeah, I know, right?

My pleasure. I'm glad you're in a better mood than when you were writing this. P.S. writing it down or talking it all out helps a lot for situations that really make you unhappy.
:iconspookyink:
SpookyInk Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012   Traditional Artist
My first reaction was to say "give up the art and do a secure job" mainly because most kids who post they wanna be a managa artist are weeaboos who can't draw anime properly but after looking at your art it changed my view.

Definitely continue art.
I can see your artwork be its own manga too. You just need to work on publishing your own story. It takes time but its worth it.

Start your web comic back up as a side project for now since you can't always live off your art.
lol, I'm so glad you think so,:D
thank you so much for encouraging me..:hug:
I'll keep your advice in my mind.
:iconbob-raigen:
Bob-Raigen Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
hmmm same here, no matter how i do, it seemed that i can't solve this problem all these time ^^; even until to the point i could finally have several of my manga published....i still didn't feel like i have reach my dream at all :iconsweatdropplz:

pursuing dreams...indeed cost a lot and sacrifice >_< simply because yeah....art doesn't earn us much money,especially here...in my personal opinion though. I'm just afraid that i will stop doing art in future too.... but thanks to Deviantart---i'll stick with art because of it :dalove:
This is a real dilemma :shakefist: personally i think keeping both job is the best solution, one secure job---and art as side-job, heartbreaking fact indeed :iconhnnghplz:
eeh, I thought you're already a fulltime artist, Bob. :iconcuriosityplz: So do you do a secure job as well?
yeah, me too.. afraid that I'll stop doing art in the future.. that's what left to keep me sane, lol
On other sight, If I find one of my favourite artist stop making art because of financial problems, I'll be very upset tho :iconmanlytearplz:
ouch my heart :iconhnnghplz:
:iconbob-raigen:
Bob-Raigen Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
err-- i gotta do family business too...which will gradually take over all my free time, not being able to draw much :faint: for the sake to make a living because art can't really provide much. But i'll do my best to maintain both of them :iconfinallyplz:
and business is totally unrelated with art ...sometimes i feel like i lost my fighting power to reach my dream... feel so meaningless without art... no passion at all...:icononiontortureplz:

:iconmanlehtearsplz: yeaaah let's do our best not to stop making art :iconepichighfiveplz: so i'm really thankful to know such great community like da :dalove:
ooh, I see...that's why many artists hate reality :iconpapcryplz:
let's do our best to keep making art. :iconyeahplz:
and yeah, without DA, I'll keep thinking that every artist is a hobo who draw in the corner of street.lol
long live DA and free internet :icononiskiplz:
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Work smart, not hard.

The best advice someone gave me. Be productive with your time and become valuable. If you want to do art, get ontop of the programs, I don't just mean photoshop, I mean any art program you can find, perhaps learn programming. If you want to do manga consider using kickstarter to encourage some people to get involved and to help fund the possibility to make it into a true book.

While your art is okay, you really need to push past "typical" manga, start learning some rules of art, its easy to make things pretty, its hard to do things right. Learn to do things right.

Honestly, its not going to be easy. Perhaps get a full time job to fund your hobby, or go all out and fund your hobby to become professional. Either way, its going to be hard.
hi, thank you for your great advice :D
and yes, how I really wish to start learning some rules of art, tried realistic, developing perspectice, etc If I have more time to do it.
And I see you're already a professional digital artist.:heart: Do you also back-up your art career with other secure job -like programming- or else? I'd love to hear it from you.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I've just finished my degree, I'm not good enough to get a career in art yet, so right now I'm looking for a job that'll pay me and then when I'm good enough go into a career in arts.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Later in your life becoming and editor in any publisher will earn you loads of money or at least put you in a position where you can make a lot of money. Believe me, people hardly find time to get to the point were art will make money. Art doesnt make money. Art industry does. If you want money you need to get into this industry, not focus on art itself only. You already counted achievements that many artists would love to do.

About back pan.. You shold see a physicyian and develop a sort of active sitting and excercising on the chair. Pilates helps too. 8 hours every day is actually very good. You got enough time to work on your art during the rest of the day and weekends.

Training art doesnt earn money thats for sure. But once you hit the balls (sorry forgot the saying) you will make big cash with it.
" Art doesnt make money. Art industry does"
You have a good point here. :D thank you for sharing.
Same with some authors who work with my company. Even they're already made their way into this industry, If their books aren't best selling, the company'll still get profit altough not much, while the authors'll still struggle for financial issue.
But seeing the increasing growth of independent artists,and how big industry try to adapt it -and some just suppress it-, that's quite fascinating to see how this goes :)
uuh, well...everything come with a price, I guess. Sacrificing your heart or sacrificing others around you, both are really difficult choice :iconimdeadplz:
You're right.. I need to develop a sort of active sitting and excercising on the chair. :D thank you once again for your input :hug:
:iconmpunk-sign:
mpunk-sign Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
yaaah, senasib sama saya.
kalo saya sih (rencananya) mau resign dr tempat saya kerja,..itu juga setelah menimbang2 beberapa bulan, dan mutusin untuk ngejar mimpi, hahaha..
kalo mau resign dan jadi komikus ato illistrator fulltime , kamu harus tau resikonya apa.. kemungkinan pemasukan bakal berkurang, gak ada jamsostek, dll.
untuk mengejar mimpi terkadang butuh banyak pengorbanan.

Tapi kalo kamu suka sama kerjaan kamu sekarang, mungkin komk kamu bisa kerjain pas wiken. Pastinya kalo kerja di kantor ada rutinitas yang MEMANG bikin bosan sama frustasi, jadi emang kita harus ngelakuin hal yg lain dulu buat ngilangin itu.

coba dipertimbangkan dulu aja sih, pikirkan masak2
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Can you please stick to English in the forums from now on? The forum is English only :)
ooh, akhirnya memutuskan resign ya.. ngejar mimpi, ngomik full juga kah? reaksi keluarga gimana, klo bole tahu?
sebenernya di aku sendiri, tak masalah. selama 2 tahun kerja, udah nabung untuk bekal ngejar mimpi, *ceileh*
yang plg kukhawatirkan, ntu ibuku., tiap hari pasti dipenuhi sindiran2 menyakitkan hati.. mana aku masi numpang pula. :(
sebenernya, sudah nggak betah dengan kerjaan skarang. ngomik cuma pas weekend, blum lagi dibagi ma waktu keluarga, nggak cukup selama ini.. huhu..
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Can you please stick to English in the forums from now on? The forum is English only :)
whops, sorry about that. will do, :)
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Thank you :hug:
Add a Comment: