Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 50

Social Anxiety Disorder

:iconkimikitn:
kimikitn Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Hello, I have not been diagnosed with SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder), however I heard my psychology professor talking about it and I went out on my own and did more research about it. It seems to fit me. So I went up to my psychology professor and talked to him about it and I end up crying talking about painful social experiences of mine. So he gave me these places that can help me with my anxiety problems.

Examples of how I feel sometimes:
When there are parties for family and relatives. I know all of them since I was little, but I could never be close with them. Sometimes I feel this tension inside of me and I don't want to talk to any of them. I start making up stories in my head and feel hurt. I know it's weird.

Another example:
I always feel negative about myself. Even if I do good at work, I always feel like people are thinking bad about me and such. I know I am surrounded by people who care about me, but I feel bad about myself.

Advice?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
Also, you can get over such fears in lucid dreams. Then you don't have to be scared because it's just a dream and you can practise your social skills/getting less scared. :)
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
The best tip I can give: Look around you. Not in your head, in your head is a dark place, but outside it's much better. I also have social phobia. I know what's like. This helped me.
kimikitn Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I'm trying my best to look outside of my head. It hurts a lot being stuck in my head a lot.
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
Ok, keep trying! It will help. :)
:iconcedarwoods:
CedarWoods Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You can download this free playlist and listen to it whenever you're feeling bad.

[link]
kimikitn Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Thank you for the link. :)
CedarWoods Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You're very welcome. You can send me notes anytime you want.
kimikitn Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Alright. Thank you very much :)
CedarWoods Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:)
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Get professional help. Random people on an art forum can't help you.
:iconk1k0r0:
k1k0r0 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
second that
:iconsirius-910024:
Sirius-910024 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and exposure therapy help much.

Go talk to a therapist. That is the only advice here you should take. There is help without being doped up.
:iconsirius-910024:
Sirius-910024 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Errr, that's a really bad sentence. 'I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and exposure therapy both helped tremendously.'**

I think that's a little less ambiguous. I wasn't diagnosed with CBT. :P
:iconseaghostss:
seaghostss Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student
I have social anxiety as well, so I understand the struggle you're going through.
It's improved because I force myself to be in situations where I feel the most anxious, but it's still a daily struggle.

I suggest you go see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis!
I did a bit of therapy so that might also work for you as well.
As for medication, I tried it once and I'll never use it again. It made my anxiety worse but that's just my experience.

If you ever want to chat you can inbox me anytime! c:
:iconxexcella:
xExcella Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Well, before you start dealing with your problem consider getting a diagnose, so you will know for certain what to do. Don't feel upset, there are many people who share your problem, and I am certain that some deal with worse. Try to relax for a bit, and take a good objective look at what your problem might be. There are many factors that impact how you deal with people, so you should consider those too. So relax, dont panic, and dont feel sad.
:iconpuripie:
PuriPie Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist
Stop being so SAD.

But seriously, you should see a therapist.
:iconsoulmankicks:
soulmankicks Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
take it slow don't do if you don't feel comfortable start out small slow expose yourself to social situations
:iconrayum:
Rayum Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I haven't been diagnosed myself, but it was painfully obvious that I was suffering from some sort of severe social anxiety within the past 3 years, and somewhat less this recent year. I would highly advise that you do not lock yourself into the idea of having the disorder, and instead use it to your advantage in realizing that your perceptions about what others are thinking are often not true. I know that sounds simple and it isn't, but it's a small start. Exposure also tends to work. The more social situations you find yourself in, the more you are likely to begin adapting, but even getting to that point can be hard if you truly have this disorder.
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student General Artist
I definitely haven't been diagnosed with any form of anxiety but I've always been pretty introverted and very nervous in social situations. I tend to withdraw myself from gatherings of people I am not particularly close to, and when it comes to making casual conversation with people I don't know well, or any real attempt to socialize, I can feel my heart rate go up and I usually get shot down or ignored after word-vomiting and not knowing what the "right" thing to say is. I almost always assume that everyone around me pre-emptively dislikes me, and that there's something about me that repels people and I just can't control it. It isn't too terrible since I always imagine myself being unsuccessful socially, but it's a bad thing to keep thinking because I always set myself up to fail.

What has helped me personally is being more engaged in leadership positions and jobs that involve a lot of direct communication. I have been working as a camp counselor for a few years and I am an RA at my school this year among other things. It's a lot easier trying to speak to others when it is part of my profession and it's helped me communicate more effectively. Doing things like calling up businesses and asking them questions over the phone are, for example, are no longer as nerve-wracking as they used to be, and I have the added benefit of really being able to help others with minimal judgment being passed on me in an authoritative position. I still do have issues with socializing/making nw friends and the like, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Essentially forcing myself to face my fears has been one of the best things I could have done for myself.
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I have anxiety too. I feel that way too..I was first given a prescription drug to help but it didn't much. I try to deal with it on my own.
How did you know that you have it? Did you just had a feeling about it and then decided to look for professional help?
I knew I had it, but didn't realize it was that bad. I went to a dr for something else actually...but ended up being diagnosed with it. But I mean, it doesn't take a doctor to tell I have it. I freak out over a lot of things, sometimes to the point of getting sick.
That's exactly how I feel. I freak out over everything. It was a lot worse when I was younger. Now, it's a little better, just going to see a professional about it. Just to see if I actually have social anxiety disorder.
Good idea! Its also good to know how severe you have it. If you ever want to talk about it to someone who understands, I'm here for ya :)
:iconx666nightmare666x:
x666NiGhTmArE666x Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Go to a doctor and confirm it. I need to confirm it as well.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   Digital Artist
Never self diagnose yourself, the only thing that assures you are is a hypocondriac.
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Don't get butthurt, but you're an idiot if you think you can seriously self-diagnose yourself with anything more than a bruise or cut.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
:iconthis2plz:
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh god :stare:
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You need to be diagnosed, self-diagnosis is nothing good, even with "research" I told google my hand hurt and they told me and I some bone eating disease. So don't trust everything you read on medical websites either.. Go to a professional and get a serious diagnosis then go through therapy based around that.
:iconwastedshame:
wastedshame Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   Writer
A lot of people have already said this, but you need to see someone and be officially diagnosed before you worry too much.
I say this based on my own experience.

For years, I denied that there was anything wrong with me. I skirted around going to receive help because of all the social stigmas surrounding those with mental illnesses, but I eventually got to a point where I could not stop lying to myself.

It is hard to take that first step, but if your social anxiety is bad enough, being diagnosed and placed on medications to help you cope is actually a godsend.

I tell you this from personal experience. I am actually disabled due to mental illness because I cannot function like most people do. I am considered severe enough that I can't work, and you know what? I'm okay with that. I suffered for so many years because of my mental illnesses and I didn't understand myself at all. Going to get the help I needed was a huge step for me, and even though I still struggle every day, my psychiatrist has helped me better understand myself and my actions.

I hope you will see someone and try to get diagnosed, because it helped me immensely. You will never be 100%, but at least you will have a better shot at life.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Someone who isn't a medical professional (i.e. you) is likely unable to make judgments that serious unless the symptoms are undeniably severe and crippling and obvious. To an inexperienced person on WebMD everything can look like cancer and psychosis.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   Writer
I feel that those two example that you gave all the time, but I don't think or know if I have any mental disorder. (Well, I've been told that I have depression but I don't believe it. *shrugs*)

I say stop self-diagnosing yourself and go see a professional immediately.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
See a therapist who can help you.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Self-diagnosing is wrong and could lead you to become worse, because you look for criteria and think you match. You need to see a professional to get diagnosed, otherwise you could be confusing a genuine mental disorder for amplified nervousness (which many people experience when they are around strangers :shrug:).
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Get diagnosed first.
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
My advice is that you follow the advice of the professionals you consulted and not that of a bunch of strangers on an art website.

Therapy and medication.
:iconjohnson-bunnells:
Johnson-bunnells Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That is definitely better;)
If she even has the disorder to begin with.
Yeah, so she should go anyway to see if she does;)
Yes...what's up with the winking?
It s not related to the topic, Im just obsessed with leaving them in virtually every message I send ;) *nods head like its perfectly normal*
My tag line is Beware: I luv ;)
Sometimes I send more than 1 (example)
;););););););););););););););););)
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
i want a wink too
Johnson-bunnells Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
^_^

;););)
(1 Reply)
People will think you're coming on to them
I can't stop laughing,
Uhh, I don't do it to " come on to" people, besides, I have not met( in person, and I never will) at least95% of every one here sooooo, yeah.
I'll write a journal about my ;)'s okay?
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Don't lock yourself into a disorder unless you have been officially diagnosed with it via DSM criteria by a psychiatrist or other doctor.
Add a Comment: