career advice

Nothing to do with being a professional artist but, I've been thinking long and hard about what to do after college, and now I'd like some outside opinions.
I have bachelors degree in environmental science and all during my last semester, this past summer, and now moving into October I have been applying for various jobs. I am concerned that I will not be able to start my career in this economy.

So my options are:
To follow my mother's advice and get a basic law enforcement training certification to become a police officer/park ranger. According to her experience from either job could lead to a good paying position with various state agencies like the Department of Natural Resources or the State Bureau of Investigation.
or
Join the US airforce, commit to a 4 year enlistment, get housed, fed, paid, and trained. the experience and training would be useful and look good on my resume. if I go back to school the GI Bill would pay the full cost of my tuition for 36 months + $1,000 per year for books + about $1,400 per month for housing.

My main career goal is to get a job that pays enough to allow me to live comfortably while paying off my student loans, eventually afford my own home, and have the option for advancement. I want to make the choice that will eventually lead to a good paying job the quickest. I could join the police force and maybe I'll move up to a nice paying position eventually or never go anywhere.
I could enlist in the military and since they provide housing and food and I won't have to commute to work I'll essentially be able to pocket my paychecks and after four years I can go back to school and get nearly a full ride on my master's degree. Depending on what degree I choose I think I will be much more employable with a military service record and a master degree. I'll have more choices than now at least, but what training I get in military and what university the GI benefits can apply won't be up to me. And I will essentially spend another 8 years before i can start my real career.
Does anybody have any opinions or experiences that they would like to share about what career choices pay off the most in the long term?
Comments8
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hi... I think you should go with your interest field. Because when you find your interesting; you will enjoy it and you can work with full efficiency. And any work can pay you money even I should say more... Earning more money is totally depend upon you. Your work... So just choose your interest field. You will never feel disappoint! Good luck...
And one more thing.. If anybody finds any problem; then that person must follow their heart/ choice... Because your mind can make you feel low (Sometimes), but heart will always make you happy.
Hi, Meaculpa... I think what you enjoy, you should go for that. Because working for money is not so satisfactory while working with money getting money too. As if you choose any field which may not pay you much or enough money but it will definitly pay you the satisfaction... And the question of earning more money, is totally depends upon your knowledge and your efforts in work.. So to choose any field one should follow their choice field!...
you only live once, nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. pick a career that u like and that u will not regret for wasting time on it. :3 good luck buddy
They both sound like good options.

You can also head to the recruitment office and see what sort of positions they're looking for - if the US air force is like the Canadian miliary, they don't just throw all the newbies into generic grunt work - they hire for specific trades, so you never know, they may have something in your field.
Join MI6 ,

Work for the queen , get £100k+ cars , free trips around the world , hang out with the hottest chicks in the world , get free martinis at bars. Only down side is that no one can know your name.

No seriously , The air force path sounds better.
Environmental Inspector.

THREAD OVER.
Both options don't sound bad, but I suspect the Air Force is less risky as long as you are a ground crew. But I don't have experience in either field.