Why do people fall in love with fictional characters?

I've always wondered why so many people seem to find fictional, non-existing characters attractive. In fact, what bothers me even more is why some of these people end up falling in love with said characters.

Is it something normal? Or should these people be worried? Is it okay to find them attractive, but dangerous when you start feeling attraction towards them and become obsesses? I wonder if these people need help, as I fear it might be a symptom of mental illnesses like schizophrenia.

I read once that it was normal for people to find fictional characters 'hot' or 'cute', but I'm not too sure about the sources. Also, I've dealt with such obsession as a kid, and I wondered what this behaviour means, as I'm starting to see those warning signs showing up again.

(and no, this ain't about people wanting to fuck the brains out of Rainbow Dash)
Comments53
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Because they can superimpose their own ideals over the skeletal outline of the fictional character. Since it's not a real person, there will always be gaps in what defines them.

For example, if you ask what I was doing on February 7, 1998, there is a real and definite factual answer because I am a real person who lived that day. If you asked the same question of a fictional character, then there is no answer if the character's creator did not create one and therefore the answer could be anything.

If you asked me what my favorite flavor of ice cream is, I could give you an answer. If you ask what a fictional character's favorite flavor of ice cream is, there is only an answer if they were assigned one.

If you asked me what my favorite sexual position is, my religious beliefs, and how I would raise children, there would be answers. You may or may not like my answers. They may or may not be compatible with you. But if you asked the same questions about a fictional character...

You can see where I am going with this I hope.

The fictional character basically acts as a mirror that is capable of reflecting whatever the fan wishes to see.
I know quite well what I think about this :) I'm gonna state my points clearly here:

* It is NOT weird to feel attracted (even sexually) to a fictional character if this character isn't too young or an animal (or something similiar). It's completely normal to think that a certain personality or look are extremely attractive, especially since fictional characters are often created to look really perfect and be extremely cute/cool.
* It's not weird to have sexual fantasies about a fictional character since as long as you are able to understand that it's merely a fantasy. It's actually a good way to "try" sexual things in your mind that you maybe wouldn't wanna do IRL, and it gets quite boring if you're only supposed to fantasize about real people (which is also kinda weird, since you have a real relationship with them, if you think about a fictional character you can have whatever relationship you like).
* It's NOT okay to not be able to realize that fictional characters aren't real. You can't go around not being able to be attracted to real people because you are too attracted to a fictional character.
* You can't claim a fictional characters as "yours".

And I also hate when people make OC's and draws them as a girlfriend/boyfriend for the character they like :XD: OC's that have sexual relationships with an excisting characters should stay in their own fantasies :P

OPINIONS STATED.
i think they do that because of the character skills this 'character' has ... you know?
i actually ( i wouldn't say i fall in love with them but yeah... ) i really like & love some fictional character because of they are what they are.
and i think that somewhere out there is a human with the same skills to... i hope so, because i wanna believe that these 'skills' are in real humans too not just in fictional characters...

i also think it's a 'beginn' for some people who think that no one will fall in love with them in real life or something.
so they 'love' these fictional people and figure it out that way, also because it's not that 'frightening' for them and these fictional characters couln't 'hurt' them, you see?
after time (whenever it would be) they'll have great relationships ... in real life. xD'

my english sucks these day. sorry... but i hope you understood what i meant. ( °~°)/
Well, I don't see anything wrong with it unless it goes to extreme levels where the person stops being able to funtion normally in society. I have huge fangirl crushes all the time but I can say with no doubt that I do not suffer from mental illness. It's only natural since we are a species that emphatizes and are able to feel fondness and love to feel it towards fictional characters because the stories are written so that we will feel things for the characters. If you watch a television series or read a book regularly, you will grow a fondness for the characters and that's only natural. Sometimes you'll be more attracted to one of them. I do it mostly because it's fun. I LIKE feeling like I'm in love, I like fantasising and looking at pictures and imagining what life with someone would be like, but for several reasons, I don't want to have a relationship right now. Therefore, it's nice to aim my feeling at someone who is "unattainable" so that I can feel all the mushy feelings without having to hope for something or risking that I actually get myself into an unwanted relationship that I won't be able to handle. Fangirling sort of helps me get through life, in a way. Call it mental illness if you will, I call it preventing a breakdown.
I used to do that (still do, oops). It's the same kind of reason people fall in love with celebrities: they're supposed to.
These characters (and yes, I'll refer to celebrities as characters) were made to attract us and make us interested in the show. No one would watch a television show about someone that we don't like. When we refer to a cartoon as 'cute' or 'hot', we're talking about their personalities and the way their lines are delivered by the voice actors, not their actual appearance. Their personality can affect whether we perceive them as great or horrible in our minds. It's easy to groom a perfect character or celebrity image, not a flesh human being.
Real people are overall very bland, common and likely have a rotten core...

The characters we create, are as said, created by us, the way we want them to be.

I don't think it's wrong to feel any way, good or bad, about a fictional character...we give them emotion, character, memories...anything you need to feel attracted to something

Only thing wrong is when you take it too far...
I would say a bit of fantasizing is harmless, especially when people in our lives disappoint us and many people will turn to books and TV for fulfillment. But, if the person has no life and fantasizes all the time, or a lot of the time, than I would say they have a problem with being stuck inside their own mind and this can happen to people with no psychotic illness such as really shy people. Schizophrenia is more about not being able to tell reality from non-reality among other symptoms; I have this condition myself (hearing voices and shit) but rarely fantasize about fictional characters.
Because some are an ideal of perfection haha like Jon Snow :P (in the series)
Ha Ha Snow is a gormless bastard.
hahaaaa yeah but hes so gormless he's cute! Like, I would... for sure!!! x
I'm sure you would, I will take Cersei and you can have Snow.
No love for Joffery?
its the same thing as being attractive to a model or an actor who is out of reach and people don really know these people anyway.

However the problem only appears if people no longer tell the difference between real and fantasy and pretend or act as if their fiction relationship is on the same level as a real relationship.
I know there is this women who seems to have an obbessedion with Snape from Harry Potter to the point she bashes and hates the character Lilly using aburd arguments which is all too obvious that she feels jealousy towards a fiction character thats..a little creepy.
It's just a fake relationship they think they have.
I know this girl who used to pretend she was Kagome Higurashi because she had a crush on InuYasha...she's completely fine, although she's crazy about manga/anime. Her current addiction is Uchiha Sasuke in Naruto.
I don't think they need help. They just need to know that real life is much better than fantasy land.
I would say it's normal, only in the sense that this isn't some kind of uncommon phenomenon :shrug: As for the actual act itself, it's not normal for someone with a healthy social life? I think the appeal of pining over a fictional character is the fact that these characters represent something they feel they need, or maybe even someone they feel won't reject or judge them. I honestly don't know, can't be sure, or share the sentiment. :O
It is a fantasy relationship.

Just like those who love a movie star, or other famous person. They don't actually KNOW the person, they don't really love them, because they don't really have a relationship with them.

Usually a sign of immaturity. Most people outgrow this phase. Some don't. The worst become stalkers of someone.
I'm pretty sure it's normal.

I mean if so many people can fall in love with fictional characters

it has to be a semi-typical thing, right?

And it might have something to do with the way other people portray them and draw them realistically, making them more physically attractive.

///shrug

And it might have something to do with the way other people portray them and draw them realistically, making them more physically attractive.

///shrug

///shrug
I would think it's a compliment to the author. When they have managed to make the character seem real, that's when people fall in love with them. It's completely normal. It'll pass eventually. :heart:
Its for fun.
And its not something which is very weird.