how can i move to my dorm without parental help?

I want to move to my college dorm by myself and my parents are unreliable.. how should i prepare for it?
How do kids who go to colleges with by their own do it? jesus christ...
There are some things I need to think of, like:
-cookingware, pots, pans
-bedsheets/linens
-crockery
-stand lights
I am thinking of just bringing these things that my family doesnt use, but then I might have to just buy my own if shit gets out of hands with my family. Where can I buy these?
Oh and if I am taking stuff from my family home, is it cheaper to send boxes over through shipping, or is it cheaper to take it on the airplane?
My mom tried to coax me into unpacking my luggages by saying that its cheaper to send boxes over to my dorm, but when I told her that I don't want anyone following me to NY and that she should just send boxes over instead, she began rambling on about how "expensive" it was to ship boxes and that she and my brother should take luggages and come with me to NY. I know she's skewering the truth because she's contradicting herself somewhere.
I think it's cheaper to just ship the boxes rather than take luggages on the plane?

i REALLY dont want to let my mom and my brother come with me. especially since they treat me like shit and i know they're going to sabotage me in front of my college counselor and peers "in order to make me leave the school". it makes me anxious and sick to even see my family, and i lost most of my sleep for a week when they told me that they're gonna come with me as if its not an option. really, letting my family come with me isnt an option.
Comments41
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
your worried about moving into a college dorm that (practically takes care of it self) ??? i moved 300 miles away from my mom the day i turned 18 into an ghetto apartment with a bro of mine and had no prior experience and faired just fine. i think you'll be more then fine in your case with a dorm that has all the support you could ask for under the sun! i wish i had been so lucky. you ever seen hookers outside your window each day? didn't think so.
i guess i have high standards due to my middle class upbringing, and i admit i am quite sheltered, actually. so yes, i am afraid of the real world but i know i'll have to go so i need tangible advice

how'd you do it?
packed my shit into a uhaul and left, not much more to say >_> like i said before college dorms almost take care of themselves. if you have an questions or problems theirs an entire staff devoted to just dorm & college life needs. aside from that; you see a need, you fill the need... you need money you find a job. you need food you buy some. you need a pillow you go to walmart.

what i will tell you is make sure you've got a written contract with whomever is going to be paying for all this. last thing you want is your mom giving you shit over whatever 10 states away and just dropping your funding. funding will be your primary worry, less your grades. not knowing where to buy a light bulb or how to cook.

now if you want to talk funding im still working on that one. im srsly considering joining the army for the gi bill.
lol pfft everyone knows THAT. uhaul, just do stuff when you need something, etc.... yea i am just trying to save money, that's all... and its hard to get a job so it gives me more incentive to save money

wow gl, i want to join the army but not so enough to hand my ass over to the government. i think its how most people go about though
First, will you have any more of a kitchen than just a microwave? If not, you really just need some microwave-safe dishes and some basic silverware, not pots and pans. Either way, if you can wait a while before having all the stuff you need, it might be best to buy it at garage sales and Goodwill-type stores when you get there. You also won't be cooking much if the school requires you to buy a meal plan.

If there's something that you want to get new for whatever reason, Walmart-type places usually sell a lot of things intended for college students in early fall and late summer - dishes, bedding, simple furniture, desk lights, that kind of stuff. I don't see bedding at thrift stores much, so this might be the easiest way to get it.

For shipping cost vs. checked bags, I think you'd have to check with the airline (I'd imagine it would be on their website) and also some shipping places like UPS and FedEx, since the rates vary. One difference is the airlines seem to charge per bag, but shipping companies charge by weight.

In addition to the things you listed, also get some power strips or extension cords (check if they're allowed in the dorm first) and something to carry shower stuff in if the shower isn't in your room. Also keep in mind that the airport security only lets you take a certain amount of liquids in the carry on bags (I think they have to fit in an 8 oz bag or something like that).
we have microwave and a stove. i share it with 3 other people so i might be able to just borrow theres (and in return, share my cooked stuff with them)

airlines charge like $35 per bag. i have a feeling i can only carry one though, because i cant imagine myself dragging 2 huge lugs around hahaha
Keep in mind that bags for airplanes have a certain maximum wheight. Even if you pay more, you aren't allowed to go over that because of labour laws.
Two carry-on sized bags of the sort with wheels and one backpack or something like that wouldn't be too bad, I don't think.
If driving is an option the cheapest way is you drive or ask a friend with a car for help.
bring a hundred bucks and before you go look up thrift shops secondhand stores and dollar stores. for a hundred bucks I can furnish an entire house, it may not be pretty (usually will be) but it gets the job done, then after you get settled pick up something nice here and there, a nice set of matching silverware to replace the random stuff that was in a jar you bought for a nickel, etc etc. after a few months you have actual nice stuff.
i'll be sharing the kitchen with 3 other people, so i dont think i might have to buy my own kitchenstuff except forks+spoons?
it can wait till you actually get there, secondhand stores have piles of kitchenstuff for sale for pocket change. you can usually walk into one of those places with $5 and walk out with a full kitchen worth of stuff so you don;t even need to plan ahead on that
1. Ship stuff. Sending stuff by air is expensive. You can get it there by UPS in a day or two and it will definitely be cheaper. Take clothes for a couple days on the plane with you, and ship the rest.

2. Start being aware of what you use frequently. There are things you don't think of that you need.

Extension cords. Two and three pronged, and 2-3 prong adapters (grounded 3 prong plug into ungrounded 2 prong outlet). Bring at least one that is heavy duty.

For your kitchenware, don't forget things like a colander, can opener, storage containers (or enough bowls so you can keep leftovers and still have stuff to eat off of), etc.

You can get a starter pot and pan set for around $25. You'll get three pans (large, medium, small) and a pot or two with a lid.

Alternately, you can get pots and pans from yard sales or thrift stores.

Bathroom stuff. Washcloths, sponges, towels, shower curtain, bath mat, tooth brush, tooth brush holder/cup/whatever.

Cleaning supplies. These you should buy when you get there. At the very least, bleach and glass cleaner. Don't forget a brush for the toilet.

Dish rack-even if you have a dishwasher. It can take a while to fill, and you don't want stinky dishes in there attracting roaches. And you'll have things that don't need to be washed that way, like glasses and knives that just need to be rinsed to be clean.

Door mat. They really do help keep the house clean.

Step stool.

btw, i'll be sharing the kitchen with 3 other people, is it even necessary to bring my own dishes and cookingware?
If you have contact info for them, then see what they are planning on bringing and see if you can get a list together for kitchen stuff.

You should definitely have your own dishes and silverware, and at least one pot and pan that are yours. Just because you never know what your roomates are going to be like.

If they dirty all the dishes and never wash them, you're going to want your own that you can keep so you have clean plates at least. Same with the cooking stuff.
yea i'll just buy the pot/pans if i ever need one...

god i really hope my roommates arent dirty fuckers who's going to stink up the place and steal my food
The last roomate I had (and he's a really cool guy, we've been friends a long time) kept his own set of plates, and a pot. Which was fine with me. Until he cooked a pot of beans and left them on the stove for five days.

And ATE out of it, on the stove, in the summer, for five days. The fourth day, he lifted the lid, scraped some mold off, and then asked whether I thought it was safe to eat.

That was scary. He apparently has guts of steel.

I also had one that loved to clean. Like, that's what she did to kill time and de-stress. So I ended up cooking a LOT (we had seven people in the house at the time) and she'd sit in the kitchen and clean up after me.

But then she moved to New Orleans. Ah well.
i am planning on sharing food with my mates if possible. like "hey let me use your pots whenever i want, and i can cook ok?"
because i can cook. i have a feeling most kids my age dont know how to cook
One thing you didn't list that you also need are flats or sandals to wear in the shower. Seriously, going barefoot in a public shower stall is just nasty.
And DAMN! fully furnished? D8 Lucky goose... Right now I'm in my teeny tiny dorn with my roomie sleeping about 3 inches away in the bed next to me. Ultra cramped in here cx
i can just buy those once i go there. :)

should i ship or try to take as much as a luggage as possible?
I'd say ship, depending on how far it's going. Or do it half-in-half. Ship the bigger stuff and take the rest with you c:
chicago to new york.

is UPS cheaper or USPS for boxes? i went online but i am not getting any good answers
Unless your dorms are awesome, you might not be allowed to have some of the things you listed. In my university none of the dorms had kitchens (well, two of them did, but they were community ones and you had to book them), so pots and pans might not make much sense. Also look up what cookware you ARE allowed to have. In my school you couldn't have anything with an open element (no hot plates and the like), and no microwaves. I don't know what the crockpot policy was, but nobody had them so I doubt we were allowed them. When it comes to lights, you also need to check your school's policy because some only allow certain kinds because of fire hazards.

If you're moving a distance to college, I suggest just bringing a little bit (like bed linnens and basic necessities and things you already own and want), then buying the rest when you get there. You should have a weekend or something to go out and buy things there. It's what most out of state students did at my university. Plus then you have a better handle on what is and isn't allowed, and it makes it easier (plus you'll have an idea of what fits and what you need).

Also make sure you check what size beds you get. Many dorms (but not all) have extralong twin beds, and if you buy the wrong size fitted sheet it won't fit (well, won't fit right anyways).

Things that are good to bring:
- Sheets and blankets and a pillow
- Your clothes
- Toiletries
- Some form of entertainment (a computer, TVs are nice to have, books are good too but I never had time for them when I was in uni).
- Towels
- A robe (for getting to and from the bathroom)
- Hot water pot (like the kettles you plug in)
- Mini fridge (check requirements for size specifications)
- Bowl, plate, cups, utensils
- Something to make your room not boring
- School supplies and text books (duh)

As for without your parents: like I said, buy most of the stuff there, that way you don't have to transport it. Then check on storage prices in New York and see if you can store stuff there (or you may end up with a friend that'll hold on to it for you over the summer).