can i keep my mom from paying for this cult camp

my mom is forcing me to go to this cult camp. she paid the registeration fee without my knowledge and she wants to pay $500 to the camp because she thinks that will make me go with her. i told her i won't go even if she pays, but i think she's going to pay anyway.
this is the same person who screamed at me about our family being in a financial crisis when she caught me paying for housing at college (i pretended to cancel the payment just to stop her from chasing me around the house)

i called the cult camp to tell them that i am not attending and that they should refuse any payment from my mom regarding my attendence. My reason was that my mom was irrational due to stress from our family financial crisis and that since I am an adult living in a different house than her, I have no obligation to go. I told them to refuse payment from her because our family is in a financial crisis. Being the fucking cult that they are, they wanted the payment no matter what and they ended up trying to "convince" or "recruit" me to their cult.

Is there ANY way I can keep my mom from wasting $500? She's paying with her own credit card and her own name, but that money is my dad's blood and sweat and I want to do everything I can to stop her. I can take away her credit card, but my mom would know who to blame then....
Comments111
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Sounds like your best bet, is to have a good chat to your father about this, and hope that he can get through to your mother about this cult camp. After all, it is his money right? is he not entitled to a say in what is done with his own money, let alone have total control of it?

Best of luck, I can't imagine what it is like, being faced with such an ordeal.
my mom has no respect for my dad. i dont mean this in a "women should worship their husbands" kind of way, i am talking about basic respect. my dad complains to my mom about her spending habits all the time, she just calls him demon possessed and stuff. ugh
Then my advice, as a final resort would be to contact the police. They have the power if your mom is so convinced that everyone but her is possessed.

Honestly, best of luck to you friend. It sounds like your dad and yourself will need it.
I've been to one of those camps before (against my will being 12 then.) Let's just say it was like hell, just because I started making fun of FOX News when talking to some kid. Damn parent flipped and I was called a godless heathen for the rest of the time. There was even a thief that would take random stuff. Who better than to blame it on the "godless heathen."
Well, you can try to break down the lies and show the true face of the cult, I.E.-crazy doomsday lunic ppl. If you make her see that you are no longer a child and can care for yourself, as well awaken your mother to what these people who really needs to be in a mental hosp. and what they try to brainwash, you have a chance of stopping her.
i did, she just gets insulted and she has her crazy religious friends (well not friends, just church people) who vouch for this IHOP thing anyway

i sent her links tho, and sent it to my siblings too

and my mom is into all the miracles/doomsday/demon posession stuff too. i guess crazy attracts crazy
Pack your bags, have your dad do the same, get the hell out of there. Head out of state, she try to interfere- call the cops. just call them, if thats what it thats it make it clear for her to see that SHE is the cause of all this. Thats right, your dad be better off walking out then abuse just like you. She try to talk you out of it or try to lock you up, just make a call to cops and oh Put her in the police limelight if she is trying to stop her own grow son from leaving. I understand OUfan, I been called a godless heathen before, I just flip them off. Its time for you to stand up for your rights as a human and break that chain of hers even if its means being shuned.
my dad's too trapped even tho he's out of state, and he still has to support my siblings (all older, btw)
and no, she's unable to see that she's not perfect
but yea i already packed my bags
You have no right to spend HER money how you want. It's HER money. Go get a damn job, make your own money, then you can do whatever the fuck you want. You probably aren't 18 yet either. Sorry dude, she's your mother and she's gracious enough to not kick you out. Just deal with it as long as you want to be lazy and not get a job, apply for scholarships, or have the responsibility to build credit and get a loan.

Nothing annoys me more than ungrateful brats that feel entitled to their parents' money.
lol did you even read any of what i wrote and any other my other threads? its not her money i am spending, i got the college money by my own means
and every cent that SHE has, its earned by dad and he doesnt like this cult either and she should get her priorities straight and pay her bills on time instead

i am trying to get out, SHE is the one who's trying to prevent me from leaving. i am the one who researched for college, paid for college through loans and applied for scholarships while my mom sits around thinking of conspiracy theories. the fuck ya trying to say?
If you read other posts from other replies, people notice that your story is getting more elaborate the more people reply. And more dramatic. I honestly don't believe much of what you're saying, due to your other replies to people that seem over-dramatic.

....And the fact you're using a plz account is a dead-giveaway as well. Get a job and move out, if you have the balls. She can't do anything about it if what you're telling is the truth. If she's as awful as you make her out to be, and if your father always submits to her, you would have moved out. After all, you "got the money by your own means." A bit strange you haven't moved out.

Also, save the loans for just collegiate expenses. I can see why she's upset if you're paying for your living arrangements with external, non-federal loans. Because honestly that's so stupid, and she wants you to not ruin yourself financially before you even begin.

Trust me, I disagreed with my mother a lot, and we both agreed we didn't get along on many things, or share opinions. But I grew up and learned to respect her, got a decent job, saved up, and moved out. It was a rough 2 months emotionally, but she got over it. I also paid for my rent with actual saved money, not loans. Scholarships and FEDERAL loans to pay for tuition.

I'm glad I grew up, and we learned to get along because she saw I had responsibility. You can't just tell your parents you have it, you have to SHOW them. It means more than words, or lies. I'm really glad now, because she's passed away.

You don't realize how much they love and mean to you until they are gone. I'm sad we didn't resolve half the problems we still had. And I realize that I was an immature teen that thought the world revolved around me. No one will ever agree with you in life 100%. Learn to appreciate differneces, and deal with them. You don't know what will happen tomorrow.
if you thought i was lying due to my plz account, you wouldnt be answering so much

and of course the story gets more elaborate the more people ask.
i let out more info only when people ask because if not, i can go on forever and lose tangent. i try to get the most relevant info on the first post and then answer when people want more info.

i try not to exaggerate because then things go off tangent, but its too bad if there are cynical people like you who are like "nahhh... that CANT be true. YOU must be the one lying". feel free to think i am bullshitting, just leave me alone if you're not going to help.

i am not moving out because i am trying to SAVE MONEY. just like many other people who still live with their parents. and get a job? go ahead and say that to all the other unemployed people out there who are applying everywhere they can. so far i wasnt able to get a job because my mom never let me nor i had prior job experiences (so i gathered money through gifts, selling art, secret moolah from relatives, etc)

she has no idea about my college stuff or how much i loaned (and tada, only from the government), nor does she care. so dont think this is "mommy dearest" that i am against. she DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT. and SHE is the one who's digging into more debt. when did i say i am using my loans on EVERYTHING?

i still respect her. but i have boundaries and she is breaking it. i'll 'appreciate differences' as long as she doesn't use violence against me (there are police reports). and what, you're glad that your mom passed away? :slow:
There is no way to can make anyone do anything. Just as your mother can not make you go to the camp, you can not make her save her money.
yeah that's what i thought. :(
I hate to say it, but your mom sounds like she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Go look it up on google, and confirm.
That being said, you are an adult, but so is she. You CANNOT stop an adult from making any decision they want. However, you may be able to contact your local court and see if you can invoke the Baker's Act to get her put into an in-house pychiatric center for eveluation, even against her will. This will stop the spending, and may even help her, although if she does have NPD, probably not. Good luck.
someone else actually said that to me too. everyone thinks they're right to an extent but my mom is VIOLENT about it, so maybe

wouldn't the baker's act cost money? and i think that would be a horrifying experience for her because
1. she thinks the law and the government is a huge conspiracy, so anything they do, she'll think they're evil
2. you can't change the unwilling. she'll probably never change and begin thinking she's a martyr or something if she goes to a ward

i think its better to just have a restraining order against her and warn my dad about my mom's behavior
I do to. I was just trying to figure out a way to stop the money spending.
Baker's Act can cost money, depends on your court system.
Oh yeah, she's NPD. Sounds like one of the malevolent NPD's to me.
Good luck hun!
Thanks but its still.... idk. overdone?
It sucks yes, but sometimes you have to sit back and let events unfold as they will. The only person you can help is yourself by washing your hands of it, if need be. Just be ready in case your dad needs you.
augghhh....
fuck it, $500. fuck it.
even though some commenter said that i should just go to camp to 'get the money's worth', i rather have money wasted rather than have both money AND my time wasted.
i mean like, if your mom paid $500 to buy a pile of horse shit for you to eat, would you eat it to "get the money's worth"? i hope not.

and this place is a fucking cult, they're actually designed to mind control people so i wouldnt know what they would do to me. i rather not go. sounds dangerous
Very good point. Ppl who say stuff like that are either being sarcastic or got off the short bus this morning.
500 bucks is not worth this anguish and pain. Just back off, babe, I'm telling you. My mother is NPD with an enabling husband too, and I finally had to step way the fuck back just to keep my sanity.
Who knows, maybe you can turn it into a funny story one day...or a kick ass piece of art! Pain is inspiration after all! Let me know if you want to talk more hun. I am always here.
View all replies
Well money is short in my household. So if I found out that my mom or dad deposits a good $500 I would freak out at her and threaten to tattoo a naked mermaid on my boob and pierce my belly button. Because money like that should be better spent on something useful.