Why do I love Gothic girls?

I've been trying to figure out why I'm so attracted to goth girls. I'm a clean cut, athletic, suburban guy and my friends always feed me grief about liking goth girls. Even harder, is when I actually have a chance to hang out and chat with one, they blow me off. I think it's probably because I don't wear eyeliner and black clothes from head to toe.

Then again, this isn't about why Goth girls aren't attracted to me, it's about why I'm attracted to them. Maybe its the good/bad girl thing? Maybe it's because I'm depressed a lot and can relate to the darker, emotional side of the goth "culture"? I'm just having a hard time putting my finger on why I think goths are so damn sexy and hot. I'm actually more attracted to these kinds of women than the standard blonde hair, blue eyed party girl I meet in the bars.

I don't know - just looking for some help and maybe some advice?
Comments55
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
When people first asked me why I enjoyed wearing black and red so much, I told them that the aesthetics of such a contrast amaze me.

I figured that when I find other scene people attracting, they are usually much different from what I am used to. You see those blonde girls all day. You are used to that. But you are not used to alternative girls. It is a new sensation and as such arousing.
Come to think about it, it is a contrast of sorts as well.

There are specific psychical traits linked to their physical appearance, such as nobility (all these accessories), mysteriousness and willpower (Just look at how much time they spend each day just dressing up!).
The black hair against white skin is very striking...high contrast. I imagine it is sort of like preferring black and white photos over the colored ones. Nothing wrong with it.
You think goth girls are hot because of one simple fact: They are hot.
Simple answer to simple question.

Actually it is a very complicated matter based primarily upon self-concept (hers and yours), most of which is subliminal, you may not know you're affected by it, or that you are even picking up these things, but they are a great factor in how everyone finds a mate. Either way, it doesn't matter, goth chicks are hot, accept it, enjoy it.
Maybe its cause most goths are more down to earth, creative and just be their selves.
Does the why really matter? Just enjoy them I say.
:shrug: Everyone likes different people, it's not like it's a problem or anything. Well, for you it doesn't sound like much of a problem. I like hipsters, I'm in a much worse boat than you.
Maybe you just have really shallow taste no offense.
Your "type" happens to match up with what goth girls tend to look like, probably.
It's because they put time into their appearance. When I see a goth I see someone who cares very much about the way they appear to others so they have the opportunity to excel in finding clothes that suit the look they're going for. Unlike me who just looks for any clothes that are appropriate for work and won't give me a label. I wish I would start dressing like a sexy goth girl, dying my hair and showing some skin.... until then! Labeless!
I hope this entree got you a sexy goth girl!
Unfortunately none have come knocking but you bring up a great point about the importance of the visual way they dress. And I'm a person who notices a lot of the details. a particular necklace, the way a woman cares for her nails, the way she wears her hair. Those are the cues which tell me a lot, but most guys miss. I guess studying Cultural Anthropology will do that to a person. You become a master of observation since it's all you do all day long.

Close circuit to any goth girls, if you're in Murderapolis anytime soon - look me up! ;)
I'll look you up and we'll go pick up on goth girls! Attention to detail is key! Don't be discouraged!
It's different and new to you.

you describe yourself as "clean cut". Goth is about as different as you can get.

That, and they have something of a reputation.
Everybody - thanks for all the advice. It truly makes a difference and I've read, and taken to heart all the comments. I'm really surprised (although I shouldn't be, I know) at the outpouring of great comments and advice. This is precisely the reason I keep coming back here. DA is such an amazing community and the people here are genuine.

Thank you again for giving me the courage to ask a question I felt strange talking about. It has made all the difference as I sort through my feelings and emotions surrounding this.

If I could, I would hug you all.

:hug:

K
that goes away after knowing them...
It's completely normal to be attracted to people out of your stereotype. I'm pretty feminine but I've always liked guys with piercings who are more "punky" than not. I also like the "nerds" and the "hicks" although I'm not really labelled as either one myself.
Maybe you feel they somehow seem to be more exciting, having darker, stronger emotions and what not.

My advice: do whatever feels good. Of course most people, to whatever subculture they belong, are not able to look beyond their own little world. If you really want to date one, you should at least have some things in common except the 'I think you are mysterious and strangely attractive'.
It's a matter of contrast. They are an opposite to who you are and the kinds of things you're 'supposed' to go for. Maybe you dig goth subculture... maybe not in the sense that you would want to join right in but enough to find it, and the people within it, interesting.

Do some research, try to understand and get to know it better. Ask questions and don't assume anything about them or the subculture they run within. Also, NEVER sound condescending towards the person who's subculture you're trying to understand.

It really doesn't matter who you're attracted to at the end of the day, as long as you aren't rendering yourself into a pool of idiocy. Also... don't worry about the ones that blow you off, you'll eventually find one gracious enough to talk to you about it. If all else fails, join a forum, that might help...
"It really doesn't matter who you're attracted to at the end of the day, as long as you aren't rendering yourself into a pool of idiocy."

Love this quote and a great point.

;)
Why should it matter who you're attracted to? Don't think too hard about it. XD At the end of the day when they wipe all of that make-up off and take those black clothes off, they're girls underneath all that. You should be happy you're attracted to girls. XDDD
Because you're young. Why is it a problem?
becus they draw in darkpowers and use vampiric abilities on your mind
Because they're dark and mysterious?
And somewhat aloof and complicated? Absolutely! You think its what you don't know that's exciting? Hmmmmmmm, another good point.
I don't know what to tell you dude, I'm in the same boat.

I'm going to guess you're probably a 130+ IQ genius too who also happens to be athletic? I would probably be more "goth" myself if it weren't for having grown up with a jock brother who tried very hard to get me involved in the fraternity scene in college etc etc.

I've never been able to explain it fully. Probably my best guess for me is that "goth" type girls tend to be more intelligent, creatively inclined, and also more anti-conformist in nature and I find those all to be attractive qualities. Don't know if you feel that same way towards them, have you asked yourself these kinds of questions? Hope that helps bro.