Closed to new replies
December 29, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

I think I am obsessed with black people

:iconbrandonpilcher:
BrandonPilcher Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2010   Photographer
I am a white guy, but unlike most white people, I have a strong interest in things pertaining to black people. It shows up a lot in my creative output; most of the people I draw are black, and most of my stories feature at least one major black character. I frequently listen to black music and read books about black people and Africa (Charles Saunders's Imaro books are my favorites). Also, few things piss me off more than racism against black people.

I think there are two reasons I am so fascinated with black people. First, I am particularly attracted to black women. The second reason is that I feel that black people are not appreciated enough by our society. Someone needs to advocate for black people and it might as well be me.

However, I am worried that my interest in black people is at least bordering on an unhealthy obsession. If people felt the same way towards the Japanese that I do towards black people, they would be branded as weeaboos. Am I an "Afroboo"?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontwenty6twelve:
twenty6twelve Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
proud afroboo here

you have brothers bro (:
:iconriiz:
RiiZ Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Afroboo" haha cute. xD You have no problem my good man, keep doing what you do. Brofist

~From a black person
:icongriffinr:
Griffinr Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010
LOL what are you on about son
:iconguyandamick:
guyandamick Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010   Photographer
To clarify though... African-Americans dont really have a different "culture"... The United States of America is one culture, with small little differences. Its in the context of history that African-Americans and other Americans seem different.
:iconguyandamick:
guyandamick Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010   Photographer
You'll be surprised how many white people are experts in black history, including music, food, religions, etc.

Its sort of interesting to find how many white-haired old white guys who wear tweed pants and teach at universities happen to be experts in African-American studies and cultural anthropology. Guys you wouldn't look at and think "Oh, they know every song by Notorious BIG!" but they do, because they know everything about African-American influences, and they're doctors of their field.

The more culture, the better! You aren't limited to ANY sort of culture just because you are or aren't born into that group.
:iconkathofel:
Kathofel Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
I see no problem with that.. :P People are attracted to different people/like different music/have different interests.. Yours just seem to evolve around black people, but hey, I bet there are tons of people who primarily draw white people, primarily listens to "white" music and is interested in European/American culture.. ;) Even some black people..
I mean black people are really beautiful, I think so too.. :) And I actually think it's great that you want to raise appreciation for black people.. :)
:iconsatoshiando:
SatoshiAndo Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010
I don't see what's wrong with that. It's not like you're imitating the lifestyle or trying to claim you were "born the wrong race" or some bullshit like that. People are going to be drawn to cultures different then their own, especially if they don't feel a strong connection to their own.
:iconmissdigitalis:
MissDigitalis Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010
what's the difference between an afroaboo and a wigger?
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010
Do whatever you want, it's a free country. Nothing unhealty with a preference or even a fetish, as long as you don't idealize your object of desire.
:iconvickietrivellas:
VickieTrivellas Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2010
Nothing wrong with it, it all just comes down to personal preference.
Add a Comment: