Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
September 25, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 86

Can my parents force me to get a job I don't want??

:iconkijo-tokoyonokuni:
Kijo-tokoyonokuni Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
Yes, I've googled it, but all that seemed to come up was "Can my parents force me to get an abortion" and "can my parents kick me out"

I'm only 15, 16 in a couple of months, haven't even filled out my work permit yet, and I think my parents are seriously going to make me work at some sort of fast-food restaurant soon.
It's not that I have a problem with getting a Job- but I feel like it should be MY choice where I'd like to apply to work at. There's a party supply store that I wouldn't mind working at, but my parents say it's "too slow" and i need to learn how to work somewhere where I'm not going to like it. Yeah, i get all that, but still, they can't legally force me to work somewhere against my will, can they? And if I purposely try to get fired or something I'd be in a world of trouble at home. I don't like the Idea of working with food, or a bunch of grouchy customers telling me to hurry up with their food. I've never even heard that before, someone's parents forcing them to work at Mcdonalds or something. I know at this age my job choices are very limited. But I'd rather work at a store than at a restaurant. I don't see what the big deal is. It's very upsetting to know my very first job would not even have been my own decision.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondayslikejanuary:
dayslikejanuary Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010
Why don't you apply to the places you want, and your parents want? It's hard enough to get a job in the first place without limiting your options.
:icong-r-a-c-e:
G-r-a-c-e Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're lucky to get a job, many adults are unemployed and they /need/ a job. It will only be part time and not all customers are grouchy. You're getting paid to cook and serve food, so I don't see what the problem is. If you don't like working with food for any reason, you don't have to eat at McDonalds if you don't want to. And I'm sure you're hygienic. =P

I'm 14 and I want a job but it's ridiculously difficult to find one at my age (laws, recession and such) so I've turned to online marketing/business (my website is still under construction but I've set up Offerpal and gWallet and I'm set to get Adsense when the site's complete) until I turn 15. I'm a vegan but I'd definitely work at McDonalds. :thumbsup:
:icong-r-a-c-e:
G-r-a-c-e Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Necro-ed thread, sorry!
:iconjenniferlover:
Jenniferlover Featured By Owner Oct 1, 2010  Hobbyist Photographer
Your parents can't force you to get a job you don't like, if you just act bad at your work - they will kick you out.

So just find yourself a nice job, and your parents should be happy.
:iconhajdarevic:
Hajdarevic Featured By Owner Sep 29, 2010
They are your parents. They can do whatever they want! Try talking to them about getting a job you want. Since you are willing to work I don't see a problem.
:iconsinnyfreak:
sinnyfreak Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
they can force you to work and make you do whatever they want. their house, their rules.
:iconiraincloud:
iRaincloud Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
I'm sorry, but the holidays are coming, so if you're worried about fast-paced work and angry customers, retail won't be much more of a happy place to work soon enough either.
:iconxadeus:
xadeus Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
I'm guessing that what it will take to dissuade them of this is to find another job you would actually prefer, that isn't dead-slow most of the time.
you obviously have the kind of parents that search for their idea of specific character-building attributes in the decisions they make for you. yer almost out of their range though, just a couple more years.. unless they try and decide your career too, and you actually listen.

hey, don't get me wrong, i agree with you. :nod:
fast food specifically.. that's just so weird.
Kijo-tokoyonokuni Featured By Owner Sep 30, 2010
And you're right, my parents are all about character building and getting me ready for the world..and they just NOW decide to do that :roll:
I probably would have been better off now if they had began teaching me better work ethic when i was younger.
I just don't feel quit ready for that yet, so when they suddenly start pushing me forward like this it's kind of scary. I still feel like a kid.
:iconyitzin:
Yitzin Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
From my point of view, I think it must be your choice. Not only who are you going to work for, but also where will you live.

For example, this december I will finish college, so I expect to be working next January. But I'm pretty picky: still haven't decided about a specific company, but I do want it to be away from where I live now, and with enough income to live well by myself.. Probably you can't decide here because it might not be a priority for you.

My parents say OK, as long as my decision doesn't revolve around leaving them just for the sake of it (long story, though it's more about where we live). I just hope they will eventually support my decision...
yeah, my parents will leave me alone when I'm 18/ in college, but for now, my dad says I'm a minor and don't really have a choice even though i wonder if that's legally true. My mom always says I can do whatever I want when I'm 18 if I move out, so I'm not extremely worried about it then...but yeah, I hope it works out for you too :)
:iconyitzin:
Yitzin Featured By Owner Sep 30, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It might be the same everywhere, but in Mexico if you study college in the same city where your parents live (like me) you still live with them, not many of them have a high population of out of town students and most of those either rent or live with a relative. And in some family traditions you're supposed to continue living with your parents until you get married, it's OK as long as it's by my own choice rather than theirs :nod:
:iconyvonneflorentine:
yvonneflorentine Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
No, they can't force you. But you know they can make your life living Hell until you change your mind.
Working in fast food industry sucks but I think you should give it a try. Having a job you hate will make all your future job seem less annoying. But if you really don't want to do this, talk with your parents about that. Tell them you really appreciate the fact they care and they're trying to prepare you for the life but you want to do something else and they should accept it.
thanks for all the help, I've gotten a lot of good advice on here about it and i think I'm a little less afraid of the whole fast food idea, though I'm still kind of hoping to avoid it all together. :)
But if I can't i guess I'll just have to get over it and conquer my fear :/
:iconyvonneflorentine:
yvonneflorentine Featured By Owner Oct 1, 2010
No problem :hug: Usually, working in food industry makes you less afraid of people and so. It magically worked for everyone I know :)
:iconrainbowbarf:
rainbowbarf Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2010
they probably want you to experience working at a big, fast paced company so that you dont grow comfortable with the slow but steady traffic of a dead-end mom and pop shop. big companies tend to treat their employees better (they dont want to get sued!), are a lot more official and orderly with their habits (billing, payroll, etc), and if they say they will give you a raise in three months, you will see that raise. slow mom and pop shops are chill, but its easy to get caught up in that. your parent's arent being too unreasonable, you're just failing to see the bigger picture. they want you to grow accustomed to a more professional work environment with strict rules as opposed to a slack shop.
thank you, ahhh, I see, that makes a lot of sense. Honestly, i do see what they are trying to do, I just... never wanted to do it. really, i still see my self as a kid. I couldn't imagine myself even working at all even though I want to. I don't feel like an adult even though I'm getting older. But i guess it's the whole process of starting to be more independent and ready for the world :/
:iconrainbowbarf:
rainbowbarf Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010
i know what you mean and believe me, you'll feel like a kid all the way through your 20s if you let it happen. but, it really is to your benefit to grow more accustomed to a steady work environment so that when its time to grow accustomed to your career, you'll know exactly how to fit right in and get moving. if letting go of your childhood is something you fear, try applying at a toy store. better yet, apply at an ice cream or candy shop. and dont worry! the sooner you find yourself immersed into a work environment and start producing your own money, growing independent and ready for the world just comes.
:iconyellowmelle:
Yellowmelle Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2010  Professional Traditional Artist
I felt the same way, though I hear it's actually not that bad of a job. Plus it's apparently very easy to work up the ladder. And with all of the benefits you get at fast food (or so I hear... ), in a way it even trumps most other entry level jobs. You won't find too many real-restaurant or retail jobs that will do anything but try to screw you.
Kijo-tokoyonokuni Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2010
you know, I'm really hoping that's the case because I don't want to be, you know COMPLETELY miserable every time I have to work. I wouldn't want to get in trouble for having an attitude... I'll have to see how things work out i suppose.
:iconyellowmelle:
Yellowmelle Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2010  Professional Traditional Artist
Ugh yeah I hate having miserable jobs. Actually all the jobs I've had have been miserable, I just hate job hunting and end up at these places for 3 years at a time :(
:iconpot-kettle:
pot-kettle Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2010
they can't force you to work but they could cut you off financhally and ask you to pay your own way whihc will force you to work.
:iconanon413:
anon413 Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010
Take the job it'll be the best decision you'll ever make. I wish I could go back and start work when I was younger. Now I have to work with kids (probably your age) and it's really embarrassing. Two more months hopefully I can get an internship with older kids.
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010
They can't force you to work, but they can tell you to gtfo if you insist on being a lazy twat.
Kijo-tokoyonokuni Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010
yeah, i know that. My parents will probably kick me out at 18 if I don't have a job still. What i was wondering was if they could force me to work at a specific place.
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010
What do you mean IF?!

No.
Nah, no, no, scratch that, I'll have a job >_>
Unless I was going to school- I think that'd be the only exception.

good, I'll make sure to tell them that they can't force me....well I hope that actually makes a difference.
:iconphildog:
phildog Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Try for the job at the party place, but accept the job offered at the other one.
:iconladysuzaku:
LadySuzaku Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
While you're parents can't force you to take the job they want you to take, it might be good to check out if you can legally work at the the fast food place they want you to work. The laws very by state, but I'm pretty sure that most fast food joints won't hire someone as young as yourself. Child labor laws and such, you know.

However, should a job come along, I advise you to take it, even if it's not your 'perfect job'. I should know; I was looking for quite some time before I found work. Work experience is good.

To other posters: Read the OP'S original post again; they are NOT ADVERSE TO WORKING, they just want to find a job they'll like. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get so agitated for one reason or another.
thanks! My dad is pretty smart and will probably find one fast food place for me or another. I am just so against the fast food thing because it sounds intimidating and I'd like to work somewhere not as fast paced and pressuring to get people's orders done right and quickly. Like the party store I mentioned. It has a very nice atmosphere and a moderate amount of customers. But if it turns out i HAVE to work at a restaurant, i guess I'll just have to try....
:icondorkally:
dorkally Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010
You do realise that you have to be fast and will be pressured to put people's orders through quickly in a retail store, right? You'll also be pressured to sell more to the customer or have a target you'll have to meet. You will still get just as many bitchy/rude customers and shit managers. Just because there's less customers doesn't mean you're expected to work less or work slowly. Retail can be just as hard and as stressful as fast food.
great, so I'm screwed either way? Sucks for me... but I guess all i can do is see if working in a restaurant isn't as horrible as I'm imagining.
:iconladysuzaku:
LadySuzaku Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
While I can understand your Dad's view on needing to work fast, that takes time. I worked at a Papa Gino's for a few weeks before I was let go because I wasn't working fast enough.

That's the thing. You have to be on top of everything when working in fast-food. And (no offense), but I doubt someone your age and overall inexperience will be able to handle that.

If you want to work at the party store, apply. And, just to show your parents you tried to, at the very least apply at the fast-food place. If you get a job at all, they'll have nothing to complain about.
I think that's what I'm going to have to do and hope I get into the party store. Even though it wouldn't have been the job they wanted for me; you're right, they couldn't have anything to complain about. And If I have to end up working at Mcdonald's then...just...sucks for me.
:iconandaltno:
Andaltno Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010  Hobbyist Writer
Get over yourself-- the fact is, your first job isn't going to be your decision. At all. Your first job is going to be whoever takes you. And let me tell you, it is HARD to get someone to accept you. I've been searching for a second job for a while and would love to have the luxury of a job my parents can hook me up with-- fast food or retail or even janitorial work, I don't care. It's a paycheck. My boyfriend has applied at hundreds of places in the last TWO YEARS and hasn't gotten a single callback. You should be grateful :|
of course I know that it wouldn't truly be MY decision to work wherever I want- I meant in terms of whether my job would be fast food or retail oriented since that actually would be a decision. There's lots of different stores I can apply to. I know what crap other people have to go through to get any kind of job, i understand that. But If I actually have a choice to which type of work I'd like to TRY to get into ( fast food or retail) I don't see why I shouldn't be able to take advantage of that. My parents, that's why.
Andaltno Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010  Hobbyist Writer
Fair enough. If your parents say you must, apply to the places you want to work and try hard to get in. If nothing else turns up, you'll just have to take the job they want for you. The good news is you won't have to stay in it too long- you can always keep applying and looking for the better job.

Sorry for coming off as strong... it's just been pretty hard finding work, and so this topic struck a chord in me. No hard feelings against you though.
You know, It's fine. I understand that with people getting laid off, the unemployment rate, the jobs being shipped overseas and stuff... the topic of work can be pretty sensitive to some people. We've actually had a few suicides around where I live for it. People who kill their whole families because they've lost their job. It's hard. Whatever happens I'll just have to hope my parents will be happy with whatever job i get :/
Andaltno Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010  Hobbyist Writer
Good luck.
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010  Hobbyist Writer
Quit your bitching and take them damn job. What possible benefits could NOT working have? At least you'll learn to be less lazy, and hopefully to take less for granted that any enjoyment you have in life comes from the fact that there are people who get forced to take the absolute most shitty jobs on the planet just because someone has to do it.
ok, the whole point of this was not to rant and 'bitch' about my parents forcing me to work somewhere I don't want to, it's to find out whether they can legally do that or not. I'm fully aware that there will always be things in life that suck and I won't want to do, but at the same time it's stupid that I should be forced to work somewhere I don't actually 'HAVE' to work at. My life doesn't depend on it. There's plenty of places I could apply that don't involve working with food.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
Apply now to the places YOU want to work at. Do whatever you can to get a job where you want.
If you land a job you like/want your parents shouldn't be that upset.

If you really want to play hardball with your parents, you can tell them you'll call social services and report abuse.
:iconashewednesday:
AsheWednesday Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
At 16, companies have to hire you part-time only because of child labor laws. Your work won't be very difficult/strenuous either, again due to the child labor thing. They're your legal guardians, they CAN make you get a job you don't want. Once you're not a minor anymore, you can take whatever job you want...
:iconstykera:
Stykera Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
This begs the question: Are you capable of getting a better job, but your parents still insist on the fast-food position?

If not, take the damn job already: the national unemployment rate is 9.6% and you should be thankful for anything you can get.
See, the thing is, I don't HAVE to work in the fast food industry. There's plenty of other businesses where i live that i could work at, but no. My parents insist that having to work quickly and under pressure with hungry, rude customers will 'help' me. Generally because my dad thinks I need to learn to move faster and deal with people. But I can do that at a store, so I don't see the problem. :roll:
:iconstykera:
Stykera Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2010
That doesn't really answer the question.

I bet if you went out, right now, and got a better job, your parents would be happy. Will you go out and get one of those jobs?
if i went out and got a job in general, yes, i suppose my parents would have to be happy enough. But I bet they wouldn't be as happy unless I got a job at a fast food place. Either way I'm going to have to get a job eventually. So i guess I'll have to see what happens.
:iconavalsadavida:
AValsaDaVida Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
I got a job at 16 but refused to work at any fast food place. So I got a job at a grocery store and have been there ever since. Pretty good job and it pays way better than any fast food place, plus you can train to work in different departments and gain experience in a wide range of jobs. Just be very willing.

If you don't want to work at a place of your parent's choice then apply at all the places you are willing to work and call them to ask about openings once a week, at least your parents will see that you are trying
you know, that actually sounds pretty good! The thought of being a cashier kind of scares me because of all the codes you have to learn, i think, but maybe i could throw that out at my parents to see if it would change their minds. thanks :D
Add a Comment: