Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
September 25, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 86

Can my parents force me to get a job I don't want??

:iconkijo-tokoyonokuni:
Kijo-tokoyonokuni Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2010
Yes, I've googled it, but all that seemed to come up was "Can my parents force me to get an abortion" and "can my parents kick me out"

I'm only 15, 16 in a couple of months, haven't even filled out my work permit yet, and I think my parents are seriously going to make me work at some sort of fast-food restaurant soon.
It's not that I have a problem with getting a Job- but I feel like it should be MY choice where I'd like to apply to work at. There's a party supply store that I wouldn't mind working at, but my parents say it's "too slow" and i need to learn how to work somewhere where I'm not going to like it. Yeah, i get all that, but still, they can't legally force me to work somewhere against my will, can they? And if I purposely try to get fired or something I'd be in a world of trouble at home. I don't like the Idea of working with food, or a bunch of grouchy customers telling me to hurry up with their food. I've never even heard that before, someone's parents forcing them to work at Mcdonalds or something. I know at this age my job choices are very limited. But I'd rather work at a store than at a restaurant. I don't see what the big deal is. It's very upsetting to know my very first job would not even have been my own decision.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondayslikejanuary:
dayslikejanuary Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010
Why don't you apply to the places you want, and your parents want? It's hard enough to get a job in the first place without limiting your options.
:icong-r-a-c-e:
G-r-a-c-e Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're lucky to get a job, many adults are unemployed and they /need/ a job. It will only be part time and not all customers are grouchy. You're getting paid to cook and serve food, so I don't see what the problem is. If you don't like working with food for any reason, you don't have to eat at McDonalds if you don't want to. And I'm sure you're hygienic. =P

I'm 14 and I want a job but it's ridiculously difficult to find one at my age (laws, recession and such) so I've turned to online marketing/business (my website is still under construction but I've set up Offerpal and gWallet and I'm set to get Adsense when the site's complete) until I turn 15. I'm a vegan but I'd definitely work at McDonalds. :thumbsup:
:icong-r-a-c-e:
G-r-a-c-e Featured By Owner Oct 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Necro-ed thread, sorry!
:iconjenniferlover:
Jenniferlover Featured By Owner Oct 1, 2010  Hobbyist Photographer
Your parents can't force you to get a job you don't like, if you just act bad at your work - they will kick you out.

So just find yourself a nice job, and your parents should be happy.
:iconhajdarevic:
Hajdarevic Featured By Owner Sep 29, 2010
They are your parents. They can do whatever they want! Try talking to them about getting a job you want. Since you are willing to work I don't see a problem.
:iconsinnyfreak:
sinnyfreak Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
they can force you to work and make you do whatever they want. their house, their rules.
:iconiraincloud:
iRaincloud Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
I'm sorry, but the holidays are coming, so if you're worried about fast-paced work and angry customers, retail won't be much more of a happy place to work soon enough either.
:iconxadeus:
xadeus Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010
I'm guessing that what it will take to dissuade them of this is to find another job you would actually prefer, that isn't dead-slow most of the time.
you obviously have the kind of parents that search for their idea of specific character-building attributes in the decisions they make for you. yer almost out of their range though, just a couple more years.. unless they try and decide your career too, and you actually listen.

hey, don't get me wrong, i agree with you. :nod:
fast food specifically.. that's just so weird.
:iconkijo-tokoyonokuni:
Kijo-tokoyonokuni Featured By Owner Sep 30, 2010
And you're right, my parents are all about character building and getting me ready for the world..and they just NOW decide to do that :roll:
I probably would have been better off now if they had began teaching me better work ethic when i was younger.
I just don't feel quit ready for that yet, so when they suddenly start pushing me forward like this it's kind of scary. I still feel like a kid.
:iconyitzin:
Yitzin Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
From my point of view, I think it must be your choice. Not only who are you going to work for, but also where will you live.

For example, this december I will finish college, so I expect to be working next January. But I'm pretty picky: still haven't decided about a specific company, but I do want it to be away from where I live now, and with enough income to live well by myself.. Probably you can't decide here because it might not be a priority for you.

My parents say OK, as long as my decision doesn't revolve around leaving them just for the sake of it (long story, though it's more about where we live). I just hope they will eventually support my decision...
Add a Comment: