Is 21 too old to learn new languages?

I've been kind of bummed, you see there are so many languages I want to learn. Spanish, Italian, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Russian, Cantonese... It would be a dream come true to learn even half of these. However, I grew up in a very rural, "YER IN AMERICUH, SPEEK ENGLISH, FOREIGNER" backasswards town. I was lucky to have access to German and Spanish classes in high school, but didn't get to stick with either due to grade problems.

Now, I am in college. The college doesn't have a very good selection either, and I took Spanish a few semesters ago and barely scraped by. I couldn't hear our soft-spoken teacher the majority of the time and so while I did extracurricular work to keep up, I feel that it wasn't the language-learning experience it could have been.

It will be another year until I get into the university a few towns over, where they do offer the language programs I want. However, by that time I may be 22-23, and I feel that each year that passes means I'll be less and less able to speak a second language fluently. It's depressing, honestly. I would love to be a translator, and so I study a few languages here and there on my own-- Spanish and Japanese are my current targets, but these take a back seat to more pressing things like work and classwork.

tl;dr
To those who are fluent in a second language, preferably a non-Roman or Latin-based language. If you learned this after the age of 20, how many years did it take you to become fluent enough to hold conversation, translate, and read books in said language? I figure latin-based languages will be easier, as English is my only language at the moment. So I'm more concerned about others like Russian, Cantonese or Japanese.
Comments112
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Why would it be?
Think of all the people who go to college at a later time in their life. I mean, even 19 (the age you start college in my country) may seem a bit late. But it's not. I learned Japanese at the age of 20 and am currently employed thanks to it (proving that my language skill is advanced).
You just need to find a good teacher :nod:
And when I say teacher, I mean a real person or a study group. Learning a language on your own is rarely effective. I remember that on my first Japanese class the teacher told us that if we've had any previous attempts to learn Japanese on our own, we should forget about them. Turns out she was right.
well, im 16 and currently learning american sign language and my 50+ parents are (very slowly) catching on. however, my 19 year old brother was able to remember a setence i taught him once weeks ago, 'You are a stupid whore'. if you work hard enough a like the language you are trying to learn, then i think learning that language wont be TOO hard.
I know several people who came to Norway (where I live) without knowing a single word of norwegian far up in their thirties, and now it's almost impossible to hear that some of them grew up in another country. It's never to late.
I'd advise you to live somewhere they speak the language you want to learn though.
Never late to learn anything, man, specially if you remain constant. That's the key, pummelling those words and grammar into your brain until it hurts, sleeping well so that your subconscious sponges it. My dad learnt Spanish when he was around 35 or so... well, he knew French (he learnt it when he went to university) so that helped a bit, but he speaks with near native levels most of the time (although with this strange Brit-French accent mixture).
Although it's true that young minds can learn a language with much more ease, that shouldn't mean that you should give up on it (after all, harder doesn't mean impossible). I'd suggest you create a mindset where you enjoy the learning experience, rather than having a mindset of frustration or anxiety at not being able to do well. That should make it a lot more like natural acquisition, and I betcha that you'll be yakking in Spanish in no time! :D
I think that if you have the motivation, you'll be able to do it. That means being exposed to it/practicing everyday. I've been in a Mandarin class almost 2 years now and seen some non-native speakers progress very quickly and are able to hold a basic conversation. Of course, you're immersing yourself in a completely different kind of world so you really gotta have the perseverance to keep at it for years and years. The only thing that might be a bit of a roadblock for non-Latin based language is pronunciation. You learn a lot of the sounds as a child and the older you get, you lose that ability to master them.
I knew several people from Bulgaria who came to America in their 20's with just the barest grasp on the english language, but because they were immersed in the language and tried really hard (by welcoming corrections to their grammar and vocab) they picked it up fast. They worked with me as lifeguards :)

Classes will never be as good as learning from a native speaker and diving in head-first. I know it's a lot to go to a different country but if you're serious about this it will be the best thing you can do.

Another good idea is to find native speakers of other languages here (I'm sure there are websites that can help you) and you can basically trade languages.

It's not too late but like I said (and cannot stress enough) classes won't get you the tools and teaching you need. Go for the real stuff!
I have two words for you my friend. Rosetta Stone. It's amazing anybody any age can learn a new lesson with this program because it's builds it into your mind naturally over time. I would only recommend an hour a day with plenty of review for success.
lech seyen para
thats hebrew for go "fuck a cow"
you uncultured fuck
Why am I an uncultured fuck? o_O
Oh geeze, you're not 12 right?

Like 21 is the end of the world and there's no future?

Find what you want and go after it, it doesn't matter if you're 21 or 67.
You are your own limits.
dude, you are never too old for anything, and dude you just have 21. Chill down
It's never late for learning.It will take you more time,you wil find it harder but you will make it.Think positive.Yopu have to remind that learning a foreign language takes time and constance,perseverance and hard work.Also it is relevant to know why do you want to learn it.Believe in it:)
21?!! New Language?!!
TOO?!!
OLD?!!!
Now, please, calmly walk up to a mirror, look at yourself for a few seconds, then slap yourself.

It's all about immersion, diligence, & brain power, hopefully with that it can take you as quick as a year to be fluent (but that may vary on language).

**Oh, & btw, for general info, Rosetta Stone is Over Priced crap ;) **
:XD: Nice! Yeah, I've heard some poor things about Rosetta Stone. I actually used it on a friend's computer once and it looks like a glorified flash card program.
Yep, & Also,
One suggestion:
SmartFm.com
Good language site thing.
Well, it's been proven that you can teach an old dog new tricks. My suggestion? Learn one at a time, try traveling. And personally, I think your best bets are Spanish and French, since I suspect Canada and Mexico are way cheaper than Spain and Germany, but it really depends on you. I learned English and Mandarin both at very young ages but now I'm currently learning Spanish. While I'm not that great, there's absolutely no way I'll ever get to be fluent without going to Spain. Even my Mandarin is a bit shaky after not going to China for over 2 years, and I've been learning it since birth really.
nope, not at all.

i recommend spanish.
Spanish, I'm actually currently learning. I'm having a really good time with it, especially when I communicate with some of my relatives in Mexico for the first time whom I've never met and understand them. It's really great. :D
you should go to mexico for a while. you'd be amazed how quickly you pick it up.
I plan on that one day, to visit my relatives and get in touch with my heritage. ^_^ I expect that to be an interesting experience!
It's never too late to learn, but know this. The older you get, the harder it is for you to learn things. Aka the phrase "You cant teach an old dog new tricks". How ever 21 is still young, so if you hve time to learn a language, go for it! There are a lot of programs out there that make it easier to learn [i.e. rosetta stone or w.e].
I'm 20, and learning to speak Hindi and Marathi.

But that's because my fiance is Indian, lives in India, and I shall be moving there with him.

So yeah, I kind of have a very good reason, lol.

Still though, learning a language will probably be useful to you, at some point, no matter what you do in life. I say, do it and forget what anyone else says about it.
I think that's a great reason! India is really beautiful and so is the culture and language, best of luck with that and your fiance! :heart:
Oh yes, it is very beautiful. And I absolutely love listening to his family when they're speaking in Hindi. Every time he leaves his house, I beg him to take pictures for me, lol! And he lives in Mumbai, too, the home of Bollywood. Makes me so excited to be moving there soon. :excited: And thanks. :D