Cats on Marijuana, bad?

I'm not asking is it ethical, because I believe if a cat likes getting high then there's no ethical dilemma.

I want to know is it bad for their health? Can the smoke hurt their lungs? And if it IS alright, will repeated exposer cause any damage or behavioral changes?

I ask this because I'm a pretty huge stoner, and a pretty huge cat enthusiast. If I rub my hands on my cats' faces after smoking, they get a contact high. My cat likes it, and will even sniff me down and find me when I'm smoking.
I blew smoke into my cats' faces out of morbid curiosity, and found the reaction to be stronger. The cats became paranoid and the male wouldn't stop licking his lips. I can't read their minds, but I don't think they enjoyed it very much.

I'm having trouble researching this, as with any search for marijuana info I've found more opinions than facts. I just wanna know if giving my cats a contact high from time to time will mess them up or change them, or if it's chill?
Comments40
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Cats metabolize THC in a different way than we do. The effects are slightly harsher [as in acting drunk rather than high, and more fatigue and confusion] and much shorter, with the THC getting out of their system within 24 hours. Contrary to popular belief, they do not remain stoned for the rest of their lives.

However, it is actually better for a cat to "absorb" it through the exposure of veins on the ear, rather than inhalation or digestion. Digestion is actually the worst way for cats to process anything.

However, most cats and dogs don't really enjoy the experience, as it isn't as pleasant for them as it is for people. I wouldn't toke up your cat anymore, plus you said you couldn't tell if he enjoyed it. He probably didn't. Plus, it's really hard to focus the smoke on the internal ear structure without it being inhaled. Despite the fact that marijuana hasn't been shown to be detrimental to human lungs [again, contrary to popular belief], it may still be to pets because their organ tissue genetics are different than ours, and they don't have proper THC receptors in their brain like we do. Because they process it so fast, it can be taxing on their system. Therefore if you just had to smoke him out, the less often the better to give breaks between the work his/her body is doing.

Overall, your cat isn't in any major health risk right now, but I'd suggest you'd stop smoking him out since he didn't like it. You wouldn't pin someone down and force them to inhale stuff would you?

[Vet student btw, ask if you have anymore questions. I researched this because one of my good friends frequently smokes out his cat, and I was slightly concerned. Plus I was curious.]
Yeah, it's hilarious to smoke cannabis with pets, but I wouldn't do it often. Although, I've read most of the harm cannabis smoke causes is due to the temperature of the smoke, so it should be cooler after leaving your lungs. Remember cats have much smaller brains... so one hit of second hand smoke is enough to make them stoned lol

I'd stick with catnip >.>
It's probably a bad idea, especially if your cat doesn't seem to like it. Just give the kitty catnip or something. It seems that the main danger from marijuana ingestion for cats (judging from a link someone else posted in this thread) is that it can cause them to vomit, and that, combined with marijuana-induced lethargy, could lead to choking and suffocation. I'd say that there probably isn't any research into long-term effects of THC consumption on cats, so no one can say for sure what the long-term effects might be. If I were you, I wouldn't chance finding out with your cats.
This troll is more obvious than a pride parade.
You have a responsibility not to give a pet anything that you wouldn't give to a baby.

---
Drug cartels do a lot of funding for programs to keep drugs illegal.

White Noise
i wouldn't give dog treats to a baby. :shrug:
Why not? You ever try a teething biscuit?
No too much diff.
can't say i have. does it have mechanically recovered meat product in it?
Not as much as your last hot-dog.
They're probably better for the baby than chicken Mcnuggets and lots of babies eat that.
actually, you're probably right on that count. :O
As long as you buy the "nicer" stuff, it's probably safe. Otherwise you might risk getting stuff made of bones or other such "garbage" parts. It's perfectly safe, usually, but has a higher fat content and low nutritional value since they're soaked in oils and salts to make the pets want to eat them.
If I shot you in the face, do you think it would hurt? I can't read your mind and I don't speak stoner, but my inclination is that no, it wouldn't.
inhaling burned plant matter isn't good for anyone, or anything.

but if your cat likes getting high, let it, it only lives for a few years anyway, may as well give it a good time while it's around.

my friend's cat can't stand the stuff. but a guy on the internet i sometimes talk with claims that his, like yours, will seek out the source of the smoke and meowl and paw at him until he blows it some smoke.

another one of my friends has a bird that loves it, who will squawk and carry on and get angry if my friend doesn't let him out to join in on a session. the same bird eats stems and seeds, preferring them to his bird-seed. my friend also has two other birds that aren't interested.
"Can the smoke hurt their lungs?"

Yes. It's smoke.

"will repeated exposer cause any damage or behavioral changes?"

Yes, just like it does in humans.
Yes it's bad. But the damage is minimal and non-permanent. Aslong as they aren't smoking bong or blazing themsleves.

Long term effects are bad. But you're going to have them, not your cats.
once I gave my raccoon to chew a cigarette...nothing happened -____-
my cat only has a crack habit, is that bad for his health?
No, if rock and roll has proven to me anything, its that you only come across problems when you get into heroin.
What about a dog? :iconhighplz:
[link] this article seemed reasonably informative.

seems to indicate that futher exposure is probably a bad idea.
i think i read anythime, anywhere that cats can't geht the thc out of theyr blood anymore-> stoned forever.

i don't know if this is true... but from my point of view its really poor to stone your cat.
the cat can't say no thanks or anything simmilar. she(he?^^) can't decide on her(his?^^) own.
you "own" the cat, so you should care for her/him,... not give her/him drugs.

...and have you ever seen a cat, smoking pot by herself? ;)

oh...i just recogniced that you dind't want to hear anything about my ethical viewpoint... xD

so just forgett the part above.

i don't think that it's healthy... and you also wouldn't give you cat alcohol to drink...right?

so... why don't you just smoke the weed by yourself, ... would be better for the cat & for you :D :D :D

:weed: legalize :weed: ... i hope i didn't wrote too much nonsense :)
I think if you're not sure, it's better to be safe about it. I mean, it would suck if your were trying to get high one day and then all of a sudden your cat suffocates.