December 14, 2009
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Do dreadlocks make you go bald?

:iconkaozwashere:
KaozWasHere Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009  Student Digital Artist
Hey.
So I've had dreadlocks about 2 years ago, I was thinking of getting them again but I heard the vocal from P.O.D. along with some other people had to cut them off after a while because they were making their heads go bald? Not sure if this is a urban myth or not.

Does anyone know enough of dreads to tell me for how long is it humanly possible to keep them? Or the bald thing is just a matter of keeping and maintainig them right?

Thankyou in advance! :bow:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconohsnap9292:
OhSnap9292 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009
If they're not done correctly and you don't wash your hair and stuff then they can but if you follow the proper care instructions then you should have no problem. If you have fine hair or blonde hair you may be more likely to sensitivities though.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009  Professional Traditional Artist
I doubt you'll ever get a solid answer, especially here since not everyone seems to even know what dreadlocks are. Might want to try an actual dread-related forum.

Personally, I'm pretty sure they won't make you go bald.
:iconjesidangerously:
jesidangerously Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009  Hobbyist Photographer
If I'm not mistaken, I think the "they make you go bald!" rumor came about because whenever you take dreadlocks out of your hair, a good bit falls out in the process. But it's hair that would have fallen out naturally without you noticing had you not gotten the dreads. Then again, the dreadlocks add more weight to your hair, and you lose more hair because that weight is pulling some out. You won't go bald, but you should be prepared to lose some hair if or when you ever decide to shed the dreadlocks.
Mmm, good points, still the question remains tho' XD thanks for the opinion!
:icontakahashidemon:
TakahashiDemon Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Aren't dreads where you burn the end of your hair when you make them? not too sure, that could be some other hair style I'm thinking of, but if that is the style, then maybe, yea.
Some people do that because it's harder/they are lazy to 'bake' the end tip of each dread, but you don't have to necessarily do that.
:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes.
:icondotzip:
dotzip Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009   Traditional Artist
I had dreads for 3 years in high school, and I am nowhere near balding. I can imagine it having an effect on someone who is already going bald though. They do get pretty heavy in water.
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009
They can I think because you're pulling your hair away from your head.
:iconelectronic-fox:
electronic-fox Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2009  Hobbyist Digital Artist
when i ask how dreadlocks are made people say "dont wash your hair"...is this true?...sounds gross
Add a Comment: