Ever feel like no one wants to be around you?

I've been feeling really cut-off from my friends lately, new and lifelong alike. I understand college is stressful if you take it seriously, that people change, and so on, but it really sucks when you begin to feel lonely.

I have always been an endearing, honest, loyal, and all-around great friend, someone who is always willing to do something with anyone who asks, but lately I've felt like everyone is shutting me out of their life. Friends that I used to hang out with don't contact me anymore, or when I ask them if the want to hang out, they usually decline. It's also becoming a trend for people to make plans with me and then "silently" bail out, as in I'll be sitting around waiting for them and they never show up. I'm a pretty patient, forgiving person when it comes to that sort of stuff, but the fact that it's become consistent is what's bothering me.

Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, or maybe I'm over-analyzing everything when they're all probably just coincidences. I have no idea. All I know is, my friends are hurting my feelings perhaps without knowing they are, and what they're doing hasn't seemed like a big enough problem to confront them about until now (It's never the same person).

So on top of having parents who find solace in solitude and thus can't give me ANY advice on how to deal with being lonely, having maybe one or two friends who have the courage to apologize for not meeting up with me, etc., and being single, there's really nothing else that could possibly make my situation better....oh, I mean WORSE.

I spend my nights alone doing what lonely people do (study, play video games, watch the same movies over and over, sleep) because either no one has responded to my texts or voicemails when they're at home OR they're working, and for a really social person, it's REALLY easy to begin taking these things personally...whether I want to or not.

So what the heck is going on? What can I do to put up with this crap, since I really don't see how it can be "fixed"? Can anyone relate, and if so, how did/are you dealing with it?
Comments77
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It tends to happen to some people...I know what you mean. It's like because you are such a great friend...that people only rely on you or want to be around you when they need a shoulder to cry on, but when you need them they just kind of shrug it off. I figure friends like that need to be confronted and if things don't improve then it's better not to have friends like that.
What I found works out good, is instead of sitting at home waiting for people or just playing video games and stuff, I go out and do things that don't really require a group of people. Go to a cafe and study there, that way you can actually be out in a new setting and sometimes you meet some great people. Maybe that will help you meet some people that will actually want to be your friends for you. I find that there are some crafting classes around where I live so it allows you to work on something you love, or learn something new, and if you want to make more friends then usually there will be more people there. Personally I find it's funner to coordinate volunteer projects for the community or go talk to old people in a retirement home...I am weird but usually old people want to talk to you because they are lonely too. Sorry I am sort of ranting..I am having the hardest time forming words and sentences as I want them to be...It's just one of those days.
Awww...no, your suggestions are great! I never would have thought about visiting old people..hehehe. That sounds like a really good thing to do for someone else as well as me. :)
It's really fun to do, though I found that some retirement homes won't allow you to visit any senior citizen in their care unless you are family or a health care worker, also some only let you go if you get a pass to do so. I would try and talk to a manager and see if you could volunteer your time just to sit and talk with the seniors about anything they wish to, like how those high schoolers do for that program which I think is called 'adopt-a-grandparent' or something like that. With how things are now they are making it a bit difficult to get in but not too much. A lot of the old people I talk to don't have their family visiting them or they are put there because they don't have any family so it really does help them. It's one of those things that--if you choose to do--when you are old and are looking back, you most definitely won't regret.
That really sounds like such a rewarding experience... :love:
I used to have somewhat of the same problem of keeping friends.
Although, my experince was kinda different. My friends would either move away about a year or two after I met them, or we would grow apart.
But, that was when I was in high school =P

I have learned some things though. If your friends are in college and they seem to ignore you, part of that could be becuase they are usually too busy with college.
I also learned that having friends in the same neighborhood, or somewhat close by, really helps. And having trustworthy friends who will let you get to know them helps, although having a similar or the same hobby helps too.

Honestly, I can't say that I have had the same friend experience as you, becuase I just got out of high school earlier this year =P
But during high school, I made friends who are older and younger than me. Since some of my younger friends are still in high school, they have more time to hang out. But, sometimes I don't, becuase I have college that gets in the way of that.

Although those friends of mine have more time on their hands, they usually don't text or call me unless they want something from me =P
So, what I usually do is sometimes I go by their house and ask them if they want to hang out. They usually say yes, unless they actually are busy, but it's real easy for us becuase we usually just stay at their house or go to my house, and play video games and stuff =P

Or, if going to their house doesn't work, or if their not in the same neighborhood, then you should try joining a club at the college that you go to, that you think would be fun, and then you could start socializing with people, starting with small-talk. (that's what happened with my in the games club at my college) But, if there's not a club that seems in your taste at your college, you could try starting a new one.

This is probably the best advice I can give you.
Thank you for reading
That's the best advice I've received! :D Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to type all that out...it means a lot and I'll for sure look into trying clubs out!
You're welcome ^_^
...honestly, I don't really know how to share my thoughts any other way ^^;
I usually use a lot of details so people can understand what I'm saying. But once when I did that, like with my last journal post(and the next deviation that I will be posting), and one of my friends was like, "Sheesh! That's a lot to read!"
I'm somewhat of a philosopher, psychologist, and a Christian. So, I have a lot of thoughts in my head. That's why I've been thinking about making a book someday.

...sorry if I'm rambling ^^;
Like I said, I like to include a lot of details...
Writing a book is a fantastic way to get all those great thoughts on paper! :D I wish you luck with that! :hug: (And don't worry, I didn't think you were rambling. My responses to some threads can be just as long and academically complicated). :meow:
I recently came out of a funk very similar to your own, my friend.

It seemed that all of my friends- whether they were mere acquaintances, or people that I'd shared my entire life with- had other plans or were leaving for college [I still reside at home, you see], or just simply didn't wish to spend any time with me. And, as luck would have it, I'd lost my job, meaning I got to spend all day by myself with nothing to do.

If there is any advice I can give you, it's this:
Forget the fair weather friends you may have met, and keep your eyes peeled for the ones that can and will really make a difference in your life.

Remember that whatever faults you may have [or think you may have ;)], you are your own, wonderful person. True friends are very hard to come by, and it may take a while before you can find someone you really connect with.

It can be very difficult to move on from a past group of friends, especially when it seems that they've all already moved on from you. But I have confidence that you can find a brand new group to hang out with.

I know how much loneliness can hurt. But you owe it to yourself not to let yourself get bogged down in the middle of it.

I hope you can find someone that completes you as much you complete them.
~anonymous.
Of course, friend.
I'm always happy to help where it's needed.
=]
Huh... A guy I know is having that same problem. One of his close (I guess former) friends has been compleatly blowing him off not returning calls and all that. The guy went off to college I suppose and he has been trying to call and catch up with the so called friend thats still in high school but this jackass won't return any of his calls. And the jackass isn't returning his calls on purpose I know he is because I'm the jackass.
Rent new movies, and chat on the internet?

I'm really no help. I have the same problem as you, but I'm okay with being alone. For a little while, anyways, not for years or anything...
I can deal with being alone, just not for hours at a time...and not every freaking day, which is the case.
Yeah, every day would be a complete drag... :(
well first tell them, make em feel bad about it and then stop talking to em for good
next find an extra activity, it will occupy ur time and u'll find people that are not ass
Haha right on!
I'm sorry about your situation, but in my experience, I did tend to grow apart from a lot of people I was friends with in high school when we all went our separate ways in college. People get busy, people move on. However, that is no excuse for them to treat you like that. Make sure they understand that you are disappointed. Hey, maybe they didn't realize and it was all just coincidence.
Perhaps try to find a new group of friends? If you are in college, it shouldn't be too hard. :hug:
Making friends isn't hard--it's keeping them. Like, half of them are acquaintances and any effort I try to make to hang out, or host something, or invite them to come with me somewhere (swing club, Minneapolis, etc.), they either decline or say nothing at all. It makes things a little difficult...
Hmm, that's strange. Do you have any roommates or dorm mates? You guys could all get together and do something, I suppose. Perhaps join some clubs- then they have no choice but to hang out with you- or better yet, start one. Get involved with stuff that interests you and I am sure you will meet people with similar interests.

I was in an outdoors/travel club, and we went all over the place. It was great fun and I made some great friends. (Granted, I was also in a juggling club- really cool people were in that club... lol) You could join a fraternity/sorority of you want to meet people as well.
Thanks, I'll give those a shot!
You're not alone.

But, there are a pile of emotions that I feel about different things that are similar to that lonely feeling.

You have to want to do more with yourself first. You have to want to get yourself motivated and ready for bigger and better things.

You have to stay positive. There are some people are better off by themselves and there are those that aren't you don't have to beg for someone to be with you. You don't have to succumb to thinking that you need something or someone.

It's become addictive and unhealthy. More than anything, you have to fight. Fight for your goals, fight for yourself, fight for what you believe in and go for everything you ever wanted.

spend more time with your family. on the phone, in letters, small gifts, it doesn't matter. try to get more honesty out of life, instead of thinking that you have to have a million friends.

Hope I helped.