I see images when i close my eyes. Am i crazy?

Lately i... well i got the impression i get crazy, when trying to fall asleep. It is a very troubled time.

I react negatively to the little images that appear when you close your eyes. It's random stuff usually, and i don't like this. I would rather only see pitch black when i close my eyes.

Then i usually become anguished, because i'm recently afraid to become mentally ill, so i stay awake, because i don't want to see images anymore. Then you know, in the dark, there is some kind of... blue..dots, static.
That's normal, i think. But then the static becomes scary. I see shapes of worms, of small objects. And it's driving me crazy. I hate this hyperactive imagination.

Eyes closed or open, i see those strange artifacts, so i have to open the lights or i really believe i am getting crazy. Sigh... that's why i hate the night. I rarely get enough sleep, i didn't sleep at all this night.
Comments33
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You probably just have strong reactions to sensory deprivation. When one of your senses is not getting any input, your brain becomes hyperactive and reacts more strongly to the smallest of signals. People have been known to have hallucinations and hear things when they are alone in a dark room. Best not to worry about it.
... that's called having an imagination, surely?
yeah, i have to say that i think that's normal. do you stare at a screen for most of your day?
yes i do , rainbowbarf, i stare at a screen most of my day.
Hey, I get this too! Only I don't see negative things. I normally see faces. I wouldn't worry at all. I normally even try to have fun with it. Who says worms are bad? I sort of lie back and just watch whatever images are being produced. I would also recommend, however, eliminating/decreasing any anxiety-producing activity during your day or allowing yourself to wind down before bed. While the images are still coming, however, just take time to sorta get a kick out of them. Honestly, I've been "seeing" things with my eyes closed before falling asleep since I was like 3... I thought it was normal. (Maybe it is) Good luck!
It might sound like jibberish, but sometimes I get the same thing.
I love to read horror and sometimes I read stuff that can get itno your head. Not as in "She died. The End." But as in scarier. If you go to my devArt there are some examples.
Anyways, after erading these I sometimes see these things. And you're right, there is this static blue thing when you stare into darkness!
But I don't get it ALL the time. Seriously.

I'd try yoga or something to calm down. Tell yourself, it's your imagination and try to do things to take your mind off it. Watch something funny or do something you enjoy before going to sleep. I'm sure everything will be fine.
If things don't imporve I say you should tell someone. Parent, friend or someone.
If things still don't improve, see a councillour. (sp?)

I'm sure everything will be fine hun. :hug:

♥,
Posebud
oops, damn enterkey
and so on and so on,
but better catch some sleep otherwise they'll come to life and stand next to you xD
I went without sleep for 3 weeks, then I saw these things like they were real and had to take antipsychotics ^^
FUN!! :P
I've got the same, nothing to worry about. Look at the bright side of it xD when you'r on the train, having nothing to do, you close your eyes and look at what your mind brings you now :D
What kind of things do you see?
I saw a little girl rotting away at speedtempo, a fiery phoenix poking my eyes out, a devil laughing with me, a pile of fish (?!), a lion ripping someone to pieces, really bloody ^^, a man with a
If it's adversely affecting your functionality in day to day life, it's probably something worth going to a docto over. If it's just kind of a troublesome annoyance, it's probably some sort of guilt/fear that's just sitting in your subconscious that just appears when your mind wanders, in which case you might consider getting counselling for.
I see strange things when my eyes are closed too, the images used to always be frightening.
Try and just observe the images rather than react to them, or try tiring yourself out mroe before you attempt to go to sleep.
Unfortunately for us, we're rather visual, but hopefully it'll stop soon.
I think it's normal to see shapes, but your reaction to them is not.
Sleep with a pillow over your head so that the dots don't join together with other shapes in the room. I'm serious.

Also try making the static into shapes that you find more comforting. If you can control it then it can't hurt you.

And if it forms a shape you don't like, imagine shooting it.
It's normal, doesnt mean your crazy, has actually nothing to do with anything in your mind but the way your optical cortex responds to the lack of light occupying the receptors. Think of the rods (receptors of light in the eye) firing off the last few messages down the optic nerve (wire from your eye to your brain-which interprets the light messages) and that its just firing off the last of its transmissions before the feed of transmissions (light entering your eye) stopped (when you closed your eye)
It happens to me too, the only diffrence is that I see green things
yea that happens sometimes too. i was freaking out when i saw my cat turn green.
Dont worry, you'll get used to it, it's not as bad as it looks
It's pretty normal to see things when you're just falling asleep.
:O I had the same problem too. I thought I saw demons walking around. lol
Your eyes hold on to more light than most people. What you are seeing is 'leftover' light from things you've looked at during the day. You know like when you stare at a light bulb and close your eyes and see the wire thing in the middle? It's the same concept. Your eyes just trap more light. As far as I know, theres no way to really stop it, aside from knowing it's scientific rather than you going crazy.

Hope that helped.
Oh, wow! I can't believe this would happen to someone else! :lol:

It doesn't happen to me anymore, but it always happened when I was a little girl. I thought it was normal back then, and enjoyed it, even! Of course, it freaked my mom out big time, she took me to the doctor, who said I must be making things up. :roll:

Seriously, it's nothing to worry about (I think.) I would see them when it was pitch dark regardless of whether I opened or closed my eyes. Try sleeping in a room with a little bit of light, or, like I used to do, just look at them. When I was little they helped me fall asleep.

I would see all sorts of things... geometric shapes, colorful dots, animals, all in colors that were bright but didn't exactly bother me.
haha same thing happened to me when i was young its like a mini light show in ur head but then i got older and it went away :'(
I don't regret that mine went away. But it didn't really bother me. :shrug: I wonder why they stopped, though.
me too thats was the only reason i wanted to go to sleep lol