My dog's fur won't grow back??!

I have a pure bred pedigree Japanese Spitz and she got spayed over a month ago. For some reason they shaved her entire underside (and did a shit job while they were at it, all crooked) and it won't grow back properly. The new fur is sparse and thinner and looks weird. The fur they shaved on her front leg for the drip has also grown back weirdly.

Does it improve with time??!
She's a very beautiful dog, but she looks weird, all hollowed out from the underside. It's been worrying me a fair bit more and more. My very expensive dog might be ruined.

We have another dog (Cavalier Spaniel) who got done at the same time and you could never tell. All his fur is back exactly the same.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I seriously hope you'd still love the poor thing even if she was "ruined" by fur that wouldn't grow back :|
could it be an infection prehaps? From the spaying?
Definitely not infection. Her wound healed beautifully! It's all flat and perfectly fine ... just the fur is not the same as it was before :(
The vets shaved her whole underside to keep the incision clean, which is more important than how the dog looks afterwards. My guess would be that the spitz's fur is growing back differently from the spaniel's because the spitz has a thick double coat of fur. What's grown in is the underfur, and the guard coat is taking it's time. (Spaniels only have the underfur, not the guard coat). The only other thing I can think of would be a horomonal problem, which would have taken the same toll sooner or later and wouldn't be the vet's fault.
I wouldn't worry about your dog being 'ruined', I'd worry about your dog being 'sick'. But just about the only 2 things you can do are wait it out or take the dog in for testing.
Lol. Okay, okay. Maybe 'ruined' was a bit strong a word.
It seems to have made a lot of people annoyed.

Thanks for the advice, though. You're right. The undercoat has grown in, it took a month but it's there. The guard coat is very slow. I'll stop worrying about my NOT ruined dog.
Well, I understand that having an awesome fluffy dog that is no longer fluffy might get on your nerves a bit. It would be like if you had a spouse with a funny haircut. Like 'I still love you, but put a hat on or something'. I don't know how long it would take the guard coat to grow in, just be aware that there are several health conditions that can cause the hair to grow in funny.
Also, you picked two awesome breeds. Just IMO. Almost as awesome as mine.
Ha! The spouse with a funny haircut analogy hits the nail on the head :D

Thanks :D Yeah, I fell in love with the Japanese Spitz mainly because of the oodles of bushy fur, those big black liquid eyes and the sweet nature. My dog is so friendly. My mum chose the 'ruby' Cavalier Spaniel coz she likes the floppy ears and the companionship. Both breeds HAVE TO be around people all the time, something we like to come home to after a long day at work. My grandmother is retired and always at home, so they have human companions 24/7. They are the most spoiled dogs in the world.

What dogs do you have ? And why did you pick them ?
I have an Italian greyhound, because they are sporty and efficient and naughty, and a sort of sausage with legs attached that we got from the pound, because he has funny ears and an excellent sense of comedic timing. Actually, neither of them have much in the way of hair on their tummies.

A word of warning, please do not let your cavalier get overheated in the summer!
I see Italian greyhounds sometimes when i take my dogs for walks, and I usually comment to the owners how beautiful I think they are. Very graceful and elegant. Doesn't your dog need a heck of a lot of exercise with it being such a sporty breed?

Ah yes, and the mutts are also fantastic :D My little Spitz also has exceptional comedic timing. :D

I have read that Cavaliers are susceptible to overheating ... But do you know more than I do about this ?

My spitz seems to suffer a little in the heat, but I always make sure she's got heaps of cool fresh water and lots of cold tiles to lie on.
IGs are pretty adaptable to whatever amount of exercise they get. If they just get a few short walks they're cool, but they can walk miles at time and not really complain. She does enjoy running, but it only takes her a few minutes to get all tired out doing that. And she's 8 now so she takes a few more naps than she used to.
My mutt really looks like he's part of a breed that doesn't exist. Like there should be more of him.

**WARNING DEPRESSING STORY**
Up until a few months ago I worked at a dog kennel. There were two cavaliers who boarded there and they were the best dogs ever. You didn't even have to put them on a leash, they would just follow you. And they loved hugs. One of them, Frankie, always had problems with congestion, he would always cough and snore. One day, last summer, he seemed like he was having some trouble catching his breath after we took him in from being outside (the kennel had outside runs but we didn't leave dogs outside for more than 1/2 hour if it was hot). It was a warm day but not too bad, about 85, and I was always careful to make sure that they had some shade. Because they were fat. Anyway, he seemed to get better and I didn't really think about it. Then we took them outside again, and not 5 minutes later we look and he was lying kind of funny on the ground. He was completely non-responsive. We rushed him to the vet but it was too late when we got there. The vet said he had a congenital heart condition and probably wouldn't have lasted the summer anyway, but I still felt really really bad. I guess in that dog's case it was kind of like an XBOX 360, the heat made it worse but it was going to go bad eventually. This dog was 5 years old. I think the dog's obesity didn't help too much either. So that's my point. I actually really wanted a cavalier before that happened but now I'm not so sure. But they're so awesome I might break down and get one someday. Be careful with the cavalier!
View all replies
Dog fur generally grows only twice a year, for the summer and winter coats. You may need to wait for the growth cycle. When my rabbit got spayed it took forever for her to grow it back. I've noticed if the fur is plucked or ripped out it'll grow back pretty quick, but if you just shave it the body doesn't recognize that it's gone.

And it's really nice that you're thinking of your dog as an investment and not as a friend. :P
That would make sense ... The growth cycle occurring twice a year. Thanks for the advice. I guess it's just a waiting game.

Look, my dog is not an 'investment', else why would I have her spayed? Kinda shooting myself in the foot there, hey? She's my best mate, best dog I have ever had, I'm just worried about her fur ... It looks odd.

And the missing fur makes her look all thin ... Coz underneath all the remaining fur she's a tiny skinny thing.

Thanks for the info, though.
You wrote, "My very expensive dog might be ruined."

As if you were trying to match it to your Prada handbag.
lol. Yes, I own a Prada handbag. Lol - I wouldn't know Prada if it hit me between the eyes.
Okay, dont freak...
first off, it might just be the breed of dog, some toy dogs are like that...my pekingnese never fully grew hair back and that's been done for four years.
second, maybe you should switch the dog to another feed. Something that helps with smooth coat, it helps rid of broken and hairs grow some healthier ones. It will also smooth down any of those hairs growing in now. Slowly switch the brand wait about a month, maybe less, and see.
You should also contact your breeder, since if ti's just something that would have been genetic, bad hair growth or really slow hair growth can problem in toy dogs.
Other than that, consult the vet and stay calm, some dogs can be like this. If you're worried about looks, brush her coat differently, at least until all of this is okay again.
Cheers for the advice! ... I might try the food supplementation, although, as it is she gets THE VERY BEST and gets brushed and walked every day. (She's very spoiled)

I guess I must just be patient. As someone suggested, it might just be the wrong season and her body has not registered that her fur has been shaved. Makes sense to me :D