Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
July 11, 2008
Link

Statistics

Replies: 77

a polite way of telling parents to fuck off?

:iconcody-senpai:
cody-senpai Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
well, im 16 and so getting my license is coming up soon.
the thing is, i dont want my license.
i dont feel comfortable driving, nor do i feel safe. i have my moped license and no worry at all riding that, its just cars. my parents are split up and both have partners, and all 4 of them keep pressuring me saying that i should get my license! if i get into the car with my mum, she will get the L plates out. they keep coming into the room i am in and would sit next to me and tell me i need to get my license. everytime they see me they litteraly keep pressuring me and not just saying, "you should get your license".

i spose my fear of driving could be because i got hit by a car recently, but im not sure.

i may sound like im whinging, but all i wanna know is how can i tell them to fuck off, in a nice way?

has anyone else been through something like this?

>.<

gah its so frustrating!!!!!

sorry for typo's.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlinzoy:
linzoy Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
Maybe your parents don't want you to ride your moped. They have no airbags or seat belts. If you crash, you go flying over the handlebars and WHAM.
:iconprofessorpumpkin:
professorpumpkin Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
Don't do something that you don't want to just because you're pressured. Plenty of people wait till they're 18 to get their license. Just don't let it cripple your experience; you'll probably need to be confident with driving a car at some point or another.

It's cool that you can drive your moped :3 And they're really handy, but if you need to go on a long trip, your moped won't be the best choice. All I can offer as far as advice is practice driving until you're more comfortable with it. I've been driving with a license for 2 years and I still really dislike driving, but most of my hatred for it has subsided :3

Good luck!
:iconulilliaka:
ulilliaka Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
From personal experience, there is no polite way. Usually, when parents want their way, they'll get extremely butt hurt if they don't get it. If they're the open minded type, you could calmly express your fears to them. If not, which is most probable, I'd get your license anyways just to shut them up, and just not drive anywhere. But I'd still bring up your fears and stuff if they expect you to run errands or something.

There's no point in waiting, no matter what path you chose. Just get it over with! :nod:
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
Write it in a fancy typeface.
cody-senpai Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
:XD: :XD: :XD: :XD: :lmao: :lmao:

i laughed so much just then..

*wipes eyes*
:iconstraightjacketred:
StraightJacketRed Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
dont worry, i got the same thing, though my mom has yet to find a partner, i found getting it over with is the best thing. ive already got my learners permit! how about you?
yeh i have my learners, because i only needed to do a theory test to get it. i got 100% on the test aswell. i just hate practical.. :|
:iconstraightjacketred:
StraightJacketRed Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
go get that motha! get it over with! you drive once and your done! you wont have to drive for another 10 years!
:iconhammer-princess:
hammer-princess Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, it's your decision in the end, but you've got two options.

1: You could go ahead and get your license anyway (you don't have to use it)

2: You could calmly explain to your parents why you don't want your license.

I'm not all that good with helping with real life problems, but I hope this helps anyway.
:icondragstripdemon:
dragstripdemon Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008   Photographer
you say "fuck you dad"
truths, works every time
:XD:
:iconqueenofraisins:
QueenOfRaisins Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
I was nervous, and waited three months after my birthday to get my permit.
I didn't hesitate to get my liscense. I honestly can't imagine living without it now. I've put 11,000 miles on my car in just about a year. You're afraid but go for it.

You need to face your fear head on. And trust me. Once you get it, you'll be putting the miles on your car in no time. =p

Just take baby steps. Practice driving in parking lots, until you're comfortable enough to take on the road.
:iconmixedpie:
Mixedpie Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008  Hobbyist Photographer
Just get it. It's good to have, even if you don't drive. Then you can be an extra driver in an emergency. You have your moped to get around, so I don't see why you'd really need to drive the car a lot. I'm going to be 20 in a little over two months and I just got my license today (couldn't afford insurance/had no need for it until this summer).
:iconfinalcross31:
FinalCross31 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
At first I was pretty nervous to drive, so my parents took it nice and slow. They started by driving me to a large parking lot with scarcely any cars, and then I got behind the wheel and just drove around the area. Driving nice and slow and with no other cars to pressure me, I felt really comfortable. The chances of me having an accident was little to none. It also made me feel better, knowing my parents were in the car with me. :) I knew they would never let anything happen.

Once I got used to driving around in empty parking lots, I started driving around the streets near my house, where the speed limit wasn't as limited as the parking lot, of course. Still, I was a little nervous to go too fast, so my dad had me turn on the hazard lights so the cars behind me wouldn't pester me to speed up. I'd practice like this daily (or at least I tried,) gradually driving in the same areas but for longer periods of time.

It wasn't the car I was afraid of; I was afraid of getting lost regardless of the street signs posted for me. :P I'm also afraid of getting stopped by the police, which is why even today I only go 5 over (on a 55mph zone, I go no faster than 60) to play it safe. Also there are a lot of deer in my area, so I'm always prepared to kick the brakes when necessary. In fact, just recently, I HAD to stomp the brakes because a baby deer had ran onto the road! Thankfully I never hit it.

If your parents are willing to help you, let them. You might be surprised at what they can do. :) Take baby steps like I did (and sadly I still do because I still can't seem to park properly, and it takes me at least 2 tries to get between the lines.) :(
but even i was uncomfortable driving in a completely vacant parking lot :( i just dont like the fact of not being able to se all of the car and where it is etc. moped are nice and small, cars are way too big. =P

but thank you immensely for the long post, and when i eventually do get my license i will do it like this :D

thanks! :heart:
FinalCross31 Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
"i just dont like the fact of not being able to se all of the car and where it is etc."

Trust me, once you drive in the same area over and over again, you'll start to feel better and learn that you DON'T need to see all of the car. :) I feel the same way as you, though, especially when I park in a crowded lot. I have a Mitsubishi Lancer 2008, which is a beautiful car but not exactly tiny. I have a horrible habit of leaning off my seat when I drive because I'd feel like I need to see the whole front of the car. I get even more paranoid when I shift into reverse. I'm trying to shake off the habit. :(

"moped are nice and small, cars are way too big."

Well, you could always consider one of those Smart cars. [link]) They're pretty small in size, making it easier to park and would hopefully lower your paranoia for accidents and whatnot. :) I'm personally a little nervous to ride a moped in traffic, being surrounded by all those big cars. That's just me, though.

Oh, and I thought I'd mention this, but... Whenever I'd drive around with my parents, they would always try and stay quiet just so I could "concentrate." But I realized that kinda thing makes me even more nervous because I literally feel like I'm being tested. But if there's casual conversation going on in the car, I feel more comfortable and I feel like my parents trust me more behind the wheel. Don't be afraid to crank up your favorite songs, either :)

Stay away from road rage. Don't let the driver behind you pressure you into speeding up. If they decide to get in front of you, by all means let them.

Sometimes waiting for a signal to turn green is like watching paint dry, so just be patient about that. Use that opportunity to relax a little. ;)

My best friend would always do the driving whenever we'd wanna go somewhere, but the thought of her paying for all the gas just made me feel selfish. That's what pushed me into dragging my ass behind the wheel :XD:
wowwwwwww long and great post :D thank you. ill try these next time i get into the car.
i think my main problem is i just need to relax A LOT more :|
thank you so much :D
FinalCross31 Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
Well, you don't seem TOO pessimistic about driving, so you'll do fine. It takes some people longer to get used to driving, and there's no shame in that.

Maybe having a friend sitting with you will help you calm down, too. Just make sure he or she is willing to take it slow, though, or else you'll kick them outta the car. ;)

And it's all right to be so nervous and on high alert; that's a good thing. Personally my area is surrounded by overly relaxed assholes who just love to cut me off and who just love to NOT use their blinkers when changing lanes at the last frickin second.

I think you'll be just fine. Just remember, the car is your friend. :XD:
:iconlvt123:
lvt123 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008  Hobbyist General Artist
My reasons for a license:

You can get something really good & cheap & cool for under 2000$ a 90s Bmw 5series, or a black 89 Mercedes :) Just imagine, having one on a track or airfield. Old Golf GTI's are great fun too. With a car you can make roadtrips with your friends, you have a place of your own to mess around with ur GF at the seaside ;)
i didn't get my license when i was 16, biggest mistake ever :P
well.. mopeds are uncool... and bikes are not for everyone. So.. Cars Rock.
Fact is, all 4 of your "parents" are right :D "you should get your license"

Just take a look and drool at this marvel [link] :groucho:
wow, best post so far almost. :XD:

:iconyellowmelle:
Yellowmelle Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008  Professional Traditional Artist
I kinda wish I'd gotten mine when I was younger. I didn't want to learn because I didn't want to contribute to the problem of congestion and pollution... but in reality, it's hard work to take public transit. A moped would be cool, but it still wouldn't carry the groceries. It would be nice not to carry things up hills, especially after a long day at work. It would be nice to be able to get a fifteen minute drive away in less than an hour. Apparently, if you have your license earlier, it will be cheaper for you in the long run to own your car when you finally decide to use it.

I waited. Now I've got this learner's license I can't even use because my parents no longer live here and can't help me get the experience needed to take the test. I've had this license for almost a year and I've only got about six hours out of sixty. Do whatever you want, but you might be kicking yourself later when you become and independant adult and find out you have responsibilities other than just getting to your friend's house.
:iconjamaisxvu:
jamaisXvu Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
The fact is that someday you'll probably need to drive a car. Whether it's to transport something or someone, or to help out a friend, or to get a job. The only way you're going to get past this fear of driving a car is to DO it. You're comfortable on your moped because that's what you're used to. You get used to a car, too!

If you're afraid of hitting someone, find an open parking lot and drive there. I learned to drive at my elementary school. Then try back roads that aren't busy and that you are very familiar with. Gradually you'll get more comfortable.

So, in conclusion, don't tell your parents to fuck off. Theyare truly just looking out for you. Just tell them your fears and they will help you overcome them.
:iconpaigez:
paigez Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
I know how you feel. I am completely and absolutely terrified to learn to drive. I've never driven a car in my life. Now that I'm 18, though, I have no excuse. I say just get the license. Like others have said, you'll regret not doing it later. I'm beginning to, seeing as how the majority of my friends can drive and I can't. I just want to get the license and get it over with, even if I don't use it much.
:iconvoiceofmadness:
VoiceofMadness Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
Just suck it up and get it. They're useful even if you don't have a car or don't drive regularly.
its to suck up thinking your going to hurt someone everytime you get into a car.

i have a moped license.

thanks anyway. :)
:iconchrisbucks:
chrisbucks Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
Oh and as an addition, whilst I am one of those cautious and to the rules type drivers, I actually avoid driving when I can, you're going to be loads safer in a car than on a moped in the event of a crash.
I think you should get it anyway. You say you don't feel comfortable, ... which is why you should probably practise and get it =p so you do feel comfortable.

I can think of a bunch of situations off the bat where you might have to drive a car...

work (employer asks you to use their car to go get something?)
friends (go to a party with a friend who ends up drinking, and you have to drive them home? it's happened before...)
I could go on, but there are going to be times in your life when you're going to get asked to do something, and if you don't have a licence/know how to drive, it's probably going to shaft your opportunities.
by not feeling comfortable, i meant not feeling safe :(

i definitely will be getting it when i am older, but just not at the first opportunity to get it.

but yeh, the only thing that would really affect me without a license is weather. it's really dangerous on a moped when its raining :(

and i know a car is safer if i crash, but ive been in a car crash already and i guess its put me off :|

thank you so much for the reply.
:iconakida20:
Akida20 Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2008
You want to get it when you're older, why not just get it now? Chances are if you wait and wait you wont get around to doing it.
However, don't let your parents pressure you into it, my mom tried to pressure my brother into passing his test but he just said he didnt want to and eventually the subject was dropped.
I hated learning to drive, for many of the reasons you do, but stuck to it and it was the best thing I ever did.
What about driving makes you feel unsafe? becuase you'd be safer in a car than on a moped if you were in a collision.

I'm sorry that your were in a car crash and hope it wasn't bad, but dont let it put you off something that could bring you a lot of fun!
cody-senpai Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2008
the subject hasnt dropped yet :( the thing about cars for me, is just not being able to see the whole thing. i'm used to riding motor bikes. with a bike, i feel like a have a lot more control over the situation. thats my personal opinion though. i'm kinda uncoordinated so not being able to see my feet and which pedal there pushing or not, makes me really nervous. on motor bikes its just a flick up or down to change gears, the rest is done with your hand, where i can see them.

thanks so much for the reply, i really appreciate it :) :hug:

oh, and with the car crash, the car hit me and i rolled over the bonnet and hit my head :(
ouch.
:iconakida20:
Akida20 Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2008
That sounds rather painful :(

I didnt like the idea of doing so many things at once, the worst part for me was changing gears, and the pedals! I actually used the wrong feet at first and got so confused.
Like anything though the more you practice the more it becomes second nature, I honestly think very little about what I do now and do just drive.
The thing most people told me is you only learn to drive when you pass your test, it was a year before I felt comfortable in the car on my own.
Anywho, If you do decide to do it then do it in your own time.
Hope it workd out for you :)
Yeah when everyone starts out they feel scared, like they're going to cause an accident or someone else is going to hit them, and it goes away with time. Just practising and making everything a normal reaction. Besides, it's good to feel scared, that's the feeling which makes you behave and not be a useless twat who likes to tailgate or overtake who are going the speed limit.
wow.

i love you. :|

haha thanks =P
:iconpoetry-noodle:
poetry-noodle Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
I advise you go ahead and get your license anyways. Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to use it, and circumstances may come up where having it will be darn useful, whether a friend has an emotional emergency and you need to rush over to their house or because you eventually get a job. It's a discomfort you'll have to get over eventually to be functional, so why not start now?
i already have my moped license and a moped, which gets me around anywhere i need to go. so techincally i dont need a car license.
and to go and get it anyway means learning to drive = hell
test = hell x 50
do an additional 125 hours of driving before i can go onto my provisional license = apocalypse.

if you get what i mean.

thanks for replying anyway.
:iconmondayskies:
MondaySkies Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008
Come over to WA. You only need to do 25 hours of driving before you can go for your P's.
i am in WA. i got a letter in the mail saying that there maing it 25 hours, but then you have to wait an additional 6 months :|
:iconmondayskies:
MondaySkies Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2008
You've passed the theory test before June 29th 2008, yeah? Then the new laws won't apply to you.

"Learner Drivers who were issued their Learners permit before June 29 2008 will fall under the ‘old system’ and will NOT have to wait six months between passing their Practical Driving Assessment and taking the Hazard Perception Test. They will only have to do 25 hours of supervised driving and be a minimum age of 17 before completing the Hazard Perception Test.
[link]

But yeah to answer your question, don't let your parents try to push you into getting your license. I'm 18 and I got my P's a few weeks ago. I probably won't be needing my license seeing that I'm moving to Perth soon and I heard that the public transportation up there is pretty good, but it might come in handy. Also it's probably better to drive a moped since fuel isn't getting any cheaper...
cody-senpai Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2008
O.o

public transport in perth is amazing, you can go anywhere almost anytime.

and moped = $6 to fill it up. lasts a week riding quite a bit.
:iconexplosionanomaly:
ExplosionAnomaly Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2008   Photographer
ROAD TRIP!!!!
:iconpoetry-noodle:
poetry-noodle Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2008
The test is common sense, and while learning to drive is terrifying (I know, I went through it), it's going to happen sooner or later, and you'll be kicking yourself in the ass if you hit the twenty or twenty-one mark and still don't know how. I know - I've had friends, and they've hated themselves for it.

All the same, it's your decision.
i will eventually get it, i just dont feel safe driving at the moment. ive done the theory test already which i got 100%. im just not too fond on the practical test.

thanks for posting :)
Add a Comment: