a polite way of telling parents to fuck off?

well, im 16 and so getting my license is coming up soon.
the thing is, i dont want my license.
i dont feel comfortable driving, nor do i feel safe. i have my moped license and no worry at all riding that, its just cars. my parents are split up and both have partners, and all 4 of them keep pressuring me saying that i should get my license! if i get into the car with my mum, she will get the L plates out. they keep coming into the room i am in and would sit next to me and tell me i need to get my license. everytime they see me they litteraly keep pressuring me and not just saying, "you should get your license".

i spose my fear of driving could be because i got hit by a car recently, but im not sure.

i may sound like im whinging, but all i wanna know is how can i tell them to fuck off, in a nice way?

has anyone else been through something like this?

>.<

gah its so frustrating!!!!!

sorry for typo's.
Comments78
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
"Fuck off, please."
Just tell them that you aren't comfortable, and will get a license whenever you damn well please! You're only 16 after all, it's not like your moving out right away and NEED a car to get places. Plus, with the price of gas what it is, it's much smarter to just keep riding your moped.
Two holes in your argument, first off. One, when you raise a child and they take on your traits, whether it be your personality, the way you smile, your attitude or interests in things, do you think even as subtle and polite as they could be, you'd accept the idea they just told you to fuck off?

Secondly.

That makes no sense. You'll drive a moped but not a car? If you get hit by another car while you're driving one, and I don't mean a love tap, I mean actually get hit, you actually have a much higher chance of not even getting hurt that madly. Do that driving a moped, and quite frankly, you're screwed man.

Everyone has to know how to drive and have their license. Jobs require it, good paying ones at that, and it's a part of life. So dodge it all you like, you really do need to get it.
nice argument but,

i didnt actually mean to tell them to literally "fuck off", just a way of saying i need them to stop pressuring me etc.

on my moped, i can go the back ways with little to no other cars what so ever. i actually have been hit on my moped by a car, when i was in the right. a car may seem safer, but it still is just as dangerous considering legs getting trapped in crushed steel, glass smashing in your eyes/face, whiplash due to seat belt. in reality it isnt all that much better than a moped or motorbike. i may sound pedantic but im just stating that it is possible.

and no, not everyone has to have there license. i know how to drive perfectly, i grew up on a farm. im quite a good driver! its everyone else on the roads that makes me uncomfortable. and good paying jobs require a license? what about in the city? bosses hire other people to drive them around, or walk to work! cheaper and healthier for you and the environment.
finally, a license is not a necessity, it is an option, choice if you may, that people can decide on there own if they would like to get it.

i thank you kindly sir for posting this reply.
:)
Don't get me wrong, licenses aren't mandatory, but they do help immensely. Now, if it's safety you're concerned about, do what I did, get a 70/early 80's model car made out of steel. People will actually avoid you on the road ;)

In all seriousness though, it's a fear you'll have to learn to overcome. You can't travel backroads for all your life.
Do your parents know that this is how you feel? If not, talk to them, tell them your worries and they will be able to help you through it.
They're trying to help you by advising you to get your licence, so I highly doubt telling them to fuck off will do you any favours. Just tell them you're scared, or that you're happy with your moped for the time being and I doubt they'll be mad or anything, they love you and are there to help you through these things, you just need to speak to them about it in order to get the support you need.
ive told them all of this. every single time they talk to me about driving i tell them.

they just say that they dont understand me :| -.-
i dont say that, they do..

hmm

thanks anyway :hug:
I didn't get my license till I was almost 19, I just never had the need to. I recently moved to a big city and after watching people drive here, I said FUCK THAT to getting a car. Now I'm saving up for a motorcycle of some sort.
thats what im doing :D

i can actually drive a car, very well tbh. i grew up on a farm. i just dont like driving with the other idiots on the road who cant drive!

im telling my parents im gonna get my 250 license instead of a car one.
It was fun to drive in the small village where I grew up, everybody had a lifted truck, we would go off-roading and shit. But in the big city, people are always late for something, hence they drive like assholes and to be honest, I was afraid to ride passenger here.

Oh, and I grew up on motorcycles and ATV's, so I never feel as comfortable in a car as when I'm on a bike. Two totally different feelings.

What kind of 250 are you looking at? Sportbike? Cruiser? Enduro?
dirt. maybe a yamaha wrf to start with. i dont really travel that much so itd be good.

judging by your avatar, your a rider?
I mostly ride mountain bikes now (freeride, with a little cross country and downhill. Hell I even ride street and park. I basically do everything). I ride an Eastern Slash 5.

But I used to be way into dirt bikes. I personally had a Yammi YZ80 for playing around and KTM MXC300 for serious mobbing.

The WRF is way too high-strung for use as a daily rider. You'll be coming off a moped, correct? It will throw you on your ass as soon as you get on the throttle, it's basically a full-on YZ250F motocross four-stroke with headlights.

What other dealerships are there in your area? I suggest a Honda CRF230 (there's most likely a headlight-equipped version too, can't think of it at the moment), that's a really good do-it-all offroad bike. Another good way to do it would be to pick up a good condition Suzuki DS250, that's one of the best dual-sport bikes I've ridden. Not sure if they still make them, but they were bulletproof and very controllable, and still had the gearing to take on off-road situations and some light to medium highway use. Look for late 90's to early 2000's models, you can probably find one in really nice condition for CHEAP.

Another choice is the Honda XR250 if you're buying old stuff. Again, bulletproof motor, you could not kill the damn thing.

Personally, I like the Honda XR650. Lots of balls, big bike, big engine, cruises at 90mph on the highway with no problems. But that's a little out of my price range.
haha, my brothers already got a KLX250, so it wouldnt be much different would it?

where i live, there's a yamaha/ktm and honda dealerships.

thanks for the info, i'll definately have to look into them :D
Ehhhh. It has more power. Not a bundle, but more. I have heard (heard, not experienced) that the WR series is simply too aggressive for trail riding. I don't know. I rode my friends YZ250F and goddamn, that thing was a monster when you got on the gas. I wouldn't want to take a day-long ride on it, plus the gas tank would probably run dry before you hit the 3rd hour.

Honda is always a good way to go, their stuff is reliable as all-get-out. Look for an aircooled engine, less to break down (less power too, but that's ok).

Does Kawi still make the KDX220? That was a sweet little bike for off-roading, but not something I'd take on the roads, necessarily. I love 2-stroke power delivery and sound, and the KDX wasn't a motocross bike so while remaining a 2-stroke, it didn't have a powerband thinner than a pencil, and wouldn't catch you off guard in some tight technical woods and send you wheelying into a tree.

My KTM was the same way, not so much extreme power as a monsterous amount of torque from a 2-stroke, and it gained revs very nicely too. The YZ80 was the total antithesis of this idea, it would power-wheelie through the first 4 gears, even with my adult butt on it, and hit 6th gear before 7 seconds or so. You could ride trails on it but you had to have a real light hand on the gas, but jeeez it was so nice when the trail opened up and you could punch it, you would automatically pull away from anyone you were riding with, even if they were on 250's and stuff.

I'm looking into a chopper type bike, since it's almost all pavement here. Plus, if I have the urge to hit a jump or drop off a cliff, I have my Slash to do that with. Much lighter and it's free to ride, doesn't take gas. :XD:
View all replies
Ehhhh. It has more power. Not a bundle, but more. I have heard (heard, not experienced) that the WR series is simply too aggressive for trail riding. I don't know. I rode my friends YZ250F and goddamn, that thing was a monster when you got on the gas. I wouldn't want to take a day-long ride on it, plus the gas tank would probably run dry before you hit the 3rd hour.

Honda is always a good way to go, their stuff is reliable as all-get-out. Look for an aircooled engine, less to break down (less power too, but that's ok).

Does Kawi still make the KDX220? That was a sweet little bike for off-roading, but not something I'd take on the roads, necessarily. I love 2-stroke power delivery and sound, and the KDX wasn't a motocross bike so while remaining a 2-stroke, it didn't have a powerband thinner than a pencil, and wouldn't catch you off guard in some tight technical woods and send you wheelying into a tree.

My KTM was the same way, not so much extreme power as a monsterous amount of torque from a 2-stroke, and it gained revs very nicely too. The YZ80 was the total antithesis of this idea, it would power-wheelie through the first 4 gears, even with my adult butt on it, and hit 6th gear before 7 seconds or so. You could ride trails on it but you had to have a real light hand on the gas, but jeeez it was so nice when the trail opened up and you could punch it, you would automatically pull away from anyone you were riding with, even if they were on 250's and stuff.

I'm looking into a chopper type bike, since it's almost all pavement here. Plus, if I have the urge to hit a jump or drop off a cliff, I have my Slash to do that with. Much lighter and it's free to ride, doesn't take gas. :XD:
Just tell them that your not ready to get your liscence. Trust me, it will work.
i keep saying that :( i say i'm not ready and dont feel comfortable.

they just keep pushing it on me :(
Then keep telling them your not ready, after awhile they should shut up. Its wrong of them to keep pushing you like this.
get a drivers liscence, then u could never have to drive, but when u really need to, at least u'd have the ability to

believe me, yer gonna want a car when u get old enuff to move out
I completely understand your fears and insecurities regarding driving. In fact, I feel the same way about driving. Well, at some point in time I'll probably have to get my license between 18-19. Luckily, after high school I have the choice of becoming a Japanese citizen and use the subway instead. :phew:
thats it, i have so much public transport here, along with my moped or friends who live down the road.

i'm studying electronics engineering next year, then moving to japan :D
where would you go over there? :)
Well, if I were to really consider living in Japan, I'll probably live near my relatives (mostly aunts, an uncle, and cousins). As for jobs, I would probably work as a comic book artist & doing CGed prints on my spare time. Depending on how much money I earn, I'll indulge on buy goth punk fashion clothes until my late 20's.

At least I get to visit Japan this year, since my mother has to work there for about a week. I'll seriously consider buying the Death Note notebook, a few Japanese rock band CDs and a few awesome Square Enix products while I stay there. :lol: