To Doodle = To do nothing

For the past few days since I started a 365 days of copic challenge, I have taken my tools to work to continue the challenge.

Reason being is that, 

1. It helps me think
2. It keeps me alert and formulate ideas for my other projects
3. It keeps my thinking gears going

Now, popular belief dictates that when you doodle at work/school/seminar/meeting, you are always seen as somebody who is :

1. not interested
2. doing nothing
3. a waste of company money

It irritates me to the bone of being seen as such above. Numerous times I have already discussed to my boss that it is not "doing nothing" it helps me with stress in work and in thinking.

But then again, since somebody higher above than him thinks that doodling should be discouraged and that it is not acceptable in the workplace, he has nothing to do but warn me again and again and again not to do so.

I am really glad to stumble upon this TED video discussing how doodlers are helping the business and it also tackles some popular beliefs about the action itself.

www.ted.com/talks/sunni_brown?…

I have nothing else to post this rant since almost all of my social websites have connections to people in my workplace that may trigger a flag.

Phew.... so.....

What do you guys think?
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Actually, doodling while working is pretty productive.
Well, that's how it is for me. But still, they think having multiple cigarette breaks are better than doodling.
I think eating cheesecake is the best solution.
That we can do in our station while working~ Llama Emoji-37 (Teehee) [V2] 
Mindless doodle increases productivity. If you have a subject in mind and doing the challenge, then I see why they're not happy.
Yeah I guess so. Thanks
You'll probably have to do as you are instructed. They hired you expecting you to work when you're at the workplace. While it is understandable to want to de-stress because of work, you are expected to do that outside of work hours(or at least on your breaks). The only way you're going to be able to pull off doodling without getting warned by anyone at work is if either most other employees are doing the same, or if you're doing great at your work already.

Most workplaces are similar; You wouldn't want your employee watching cat videos to de-stress at work right? It's kind of the same way for you doodling. If you want to prove them wrong, make yourself an employee that they want to keep. Unless your job is actually related to art, drawing in any form that isn't relevant to the work at hand is generally unacceptable and considered unprofessional.
If you have breaks, fine. Otherwise, work. And Imma going to artwhore my cute little baby dog!
Charlie the Snowy by KittyNocturna Charlie the Snowy by KittyNocturna Charlie the Snowy by KittyNocturna
despite being frustrated today, this made me smile. Thanks!
My dog's second main purpose in life is to bring smiles. Even if he has to go up to any little kids he spots during park walks. His first purpose is looking for trouble.
You're expected to be professional at work. Keep the doodling to your break.
You can slant in one bias or another. The republican style that work work work rigid structure and the pretense of productivity. Or you can get touchy feely hippy and hug the trees half the time at work/school.

I think the only truth of what is the best way to consolidate efficiency and sustainability is not done with pretense or wishful thinking. I do think that bureaucracy and authority structures of all kinds tend to be extremely inefficient, on the average. But power never budges through rhetoric or claims, only consequences. I don't think there is any hope or reason to try tackling established power structures. You have to take away their fuel as you implement better options that eclipse their productivity. It's sure easier said than done, esp. when the game is rigged, but that's the only way.
You go to work to work, not doodle, unless you doodle at break times.

They don't pay you to doodle.