Closed to new replies
July 1, 2016
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Building iOS apps.

:icongrayda:
Grayda Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2016  Professional Photographer
I'm writing a mobile app using Cordova / Ionic. Building for Android was stupidly simple, as I could build on any of the machines I have, there was one command to test on a real device (and if I needed an Android device, I could buy one for ~$50), a one-off fee of $25 to Google for a developer license and push notifications were incredibly simple to implement (just make a new project in Google Cloud and an API key. API key to Ionic, project number to your app)

iOS is a different beast. For something like push notifications, you have to generate two certificates (one for development, one for production), import them into your Mac, export them as P12 files, give those files to Ionic and hope for the best. If you want to get it into the app store, you have to pay $149 AUD a year, PLUS the cost of buying a Mac ($1000+ if you buy new, $400ish if you buy a second hand Mac. I got a 2009 Mac for $170. You can't build an app without a Mac, seriously) PLUS an iPhone or iPad if you want to test on a real device.

Then on top of all that, Apple has to approve the app, and they literally get rejected for bullshit reasons (I speak from second hand experience, where I witnessed a Sydney-based company get their app rejected due to not sending a video of the app in action to Apple, and when it DID get approved, it was for limited beta testing only)

Apple needs to take a lesson from Google. I'm almost tempted to just not build an iOS version, or release it at a later date, but that's a fair chunk of the market right there.

TL;DR: I'm writing an app. Android makes it easy, Apple costs a fortune and is way too complex.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2016  Hobbyist Writer
IOS has been showing its age over time as well as the problem's of being a first in an industry. Apps are supposed to be designed in a linear model (hence the lack of a proper back button) and it relies on things being hard coded and a given, which makes things weird when Apple starts adding new things to it. Google seemed to have found a majority of the problems with iOS and solved them in their own OS (including supporting any device, though they had to add new stuff to deal with tablets.) If they had to redo it, I'm sure Apple would change a lot of things (maybe. Lately it seems like their UI designers went to the same school as Samsung's.)

Why do they require you own a Mac to make an iOS app? (other than keeping you within their ecosystem)

Outside of forcing you to buy their computers and use their IDE, probably because OSX and iOS both share a kernel. You can actually see the difference when trying to run an iOS emulator versus the official Android emulator which doesn't share anything with the OS it is on (because Java.) Google even admits that you should avoid using their emulator as much as possible.
:iconsoulrenturns:
SoulRenturns Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's a different device with a different interface and design. It's not going to be easy anyways.
:icongrayda:
Grayda Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2016  Professional Photographer
With Cordova and Ionic, it actually is very easy (the design / code bit anyway). My app is written in HTML / CSS / Javascript (i.e., it's a website), so a good 75% of the code that runs my website (my app is basically a portable version of that website) transferred over. It was SO much easier than having to learn Java AND Objective-C.

Different interface or not, if Google can make things like push notifications super simple (yet super secure), why can't Apple? Why do they require you own a Mac to make an iOS app? (other than keeping you within their ecosystem)
Add a Comment: