I am filled with death

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in about 4 years. The idea was to meet with a trainer to set up a workout routine, but due to email address confusion he didn't think I'd confirmed the appointment. So I let him talk me into participating in the sports fitness class he was about to start.

Today, I feel as if I had been beaten with long, hard sticks on every square inch of my body that's ordinarily capable of movement. I'd planned to at least try to get a run in, but the muscles all around my waistline are too sore from the deadlifts even for my usual walk.

Oh God. Why.
Comments50
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I know that feeling! 
If it hurts that bad you should take it slow. Dont jump into somthing knowing your body wont handle it. Its like going into crossfit. Dont do it unless you want to feel what hell is like
This was taking it slow. I only did half the reps.
It is good for you! :meow:
I watch these people jog by my house knowing full well that in a few years they'll probably all need knee joint and hip replacements.

So I suppose the object is to move your body enough to gain some healthful benefits from it but not too much or for too long that you'll need to replace or repair parts of it.

Exactly where that healthy medium lies I have no idea.
My mother ran 5+ miles every morning until she was in her 60s. Then she switched to walking, and now walks the same distance instead. It was at THAT point she needed to go easy on her joints, but a reasonable amount of distance running is the opposite of bad for you. It's something we've evolved to do, which is why we're among the few species of predator that can make use of endurance hunting.
a reasonable amount of distance running is the opposite of bad for you

I suppose 'reasonable amount' is up for debate.

And maybe we're just living past the expiration dates of our joints.
About 500,000 knee replacements and more than 175,000 hip replacements are performed annually, and those numbers are on the rise. In fact, hip replacements are expected to increase 174% in the next 20 years, and knee replacements will rise even more -- 673%, according to a study presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons' 2006 annual meeting.

Blame it on the lifestyle of the baby boom generation, says Mathias Bostrom, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at New York's Hospital for Special Surgery, where total knee replacements were pioneered. "They're not willing to be sedentary or change their lifestyle," Bostrom tells WebMD. "Their joints are beat up and they're living longer, and they want joints that let them do the things they're used to doing."

This also means that younger people, in their 50s and even 40s, are demanding joint replacements, increasing the market for the surgery. It's a trend that Bostrom sees mirrored at his hospital, as well as throughout the U.S. and in Europe. "A hundred years ago, maybe we did more manual labor and worked our joints more, but we also didn't live nearly as long," Bostrom says. As our life expectancies increase, we're putting more demands on our joints -- and perhaps, hitting their sell-by dates. "Maybe our joints weren't designed to last as long as we're living these days.

Source: www.webmd.com/arthritis/featur… - Hip and Knee Replacements on the Rise
Most people I know who have had hip replacements have had them for the opposite reasons: Insufficient activity, and weight gain with too much resulting strain on the joints.

Since it's anecdote vs. anecdote, and no real data either way -- clinical experience in medicine can be VERY misleading -- I have no particular reason to change my opinion. Besides, with the example of my mother, she did slow down. I'd say Bostrom was dead wrong by implying a recommendation for older people to be sedentary. There's a lot of real estate between joint-damaging extreme sports -- or even long-distance running -- and being sedentary. Sedentary lifestyles are extremely unhealthy at any age.
I know people who have played racquet ball for a couple of years and it harmed their knee joints and people who have spent years jogging and harmed them as well. Anecdotal of course, but yeah, sedentary isn't good either.
Racquetball is inherently damaging, because of the quick direction changes putting lateral stress on the knees that they weren't designed to cope with. And it is, of course, perfectly possible do overdo jogging.
Once you get to where you can move around comfortably just ease yourself back into exercise and slowly do more and more each day. You don't have to workout like One Punch Man everyday, but maybe just walk/run everyday and strength train a couple times a week.
Just decide you'd rather look like a hobbit than an elf, and you need never suffer that pain again.  Worked for me.  

Of course now the only anime character I can cosplay is Totoro....Totoro 
But elfies are so pretty...
Grinnocent Can't deny that.  Good luck working past the "My body doesn't want to do this" stage.  
Before I decided that round was a shape too, I found that cycling and swimming were good ways to alternate the exercise regime, to get the muscles past the ouch point.
I love both, but I don't presently own a bicycle and don't have a pool available. I'm gonna have to fix that.
self love in the long term...your short term self however, has issues to get over the meantime....keep it up! the gym that is
What's really the problem is the SJWs that think obesity matters.
I scarcely exercise and eat little junk food, and I have a medium weight.
The funny thing is that those skinny people who drink tons of Mountain Dew will probably get diabetes before I do :lol:
The mistake is, that you're doing it at all. Just say no. Be strong and say no and everything will be possible. Even not going to the gym. And the reward will not amke you wait, I promise! It will be the wonderful lack of pain.
But then I will remain fat.
That cannot be. I imagine everyone as their icons and you are a slim anime boy.
At one time I looked startlingly like that. Even now I'm probably only about 20 lbs off.
Psha, then your 'fat' is probably not even worth being called fat. Even though those units are alien to me. But google tells me it's ~9 kg. That's not much. I really do think it's nothing you ought to go through pains for. I know I am not doing it for a measly 10 kg.