I dislike the jpeg compression

I wasn't aware Sketchbook android app could only save in JPEG files. You dont get a choice of format to save as when you export it to your device or upload it to DA. I suppose I could export it to .PSD format, plug the tablet into my computer, find the file and where it's saved (and maybe make a shortcut to it) and open it up in photoshop or Gimp and save it to PNG that way, but that adds like 5 or 6 extra steps to submit what would likley be just a doodle I did in half an hour watching TV

I used the app to make a color pallete based off the Copic color palletes the pro version gives you, and then uploaded it to DA so that I could download it and use that to fill the pallete on Medibang with those colors. 

now it's been like 6 years since I've done anything in JPEG, so I had forgotten that the format tends to compress a bit to reduce file size, usually making the colors a bit fuzzy if you zoomed in all the way... Nothing too bad from what I recalled. A little fuzzy around the outlines, which I never liked as a kid when I saved my MS Piant doodles, but overall fine

I was not expecting the simple colored circles I made for the pallete to be covered in this sort of dusty looking pixel compression that made it annoying to pick out the color from the circles, that were like 20 pixels in diameter and once just one simple solid color, but now have specs that range from just a few bits more or less saturated, to a rough 10 degree shift of hue in the color wheel.

I always hayed the fuzzy look JPEG gives once you save in that format. I'm sure it's absolultey fine if you're making something for print

Okay. I complained about a thing that fustrated me. I feel better now. 
goodnight everybody! *sleeps right here :sleepy: *
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Stop being lazy, even if it's 5 or 6 steps, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes :<
I've always saved with PNG, so I don't know the pain :0
This is why we save in glorious png, like so: Edgegif by Chronokinetic-socks . If you don't have a program that can save in png, get one that can! It's that easy! 
Comment Flagged as Spam
But it's the best drawing app (in terms of the ones on the Android marketplace) I've used!
I did the same thing just the other day. ;-;
JPEG is shit and looks like shit!
jpeg is awful, all around. maybe you need a different app that can save pngs.
Saving pics on mobile :icontheresyourproblemplz:
Stop using JPEG. Use PNG, it looks better. Only use JPEG if you're sending your work to a printer.
I've been using PNG exclusivley for the past 5 or so years.
Aside from the long method I mentioned, there is no other way to get my Sketchbook doodles into PNG format.
autodesk needs to add that option to export to PNG
png is better for printers too, it's lossless.
There's almost no artifact with high JPEG quality levels, but you can only control it with Photoshop or GIMP.
and MS Paint is a crime against humanity, aside from saving as low-quality JPEG, it also made the Internet a bit worse place when I see a meme or comic made with MS Paint.
But MS paint was all I had as a kid
MS Paint isn't that bad, but most people who use it use shitty bases and say that they're 'artists'.