Messing with my browsing experience

I was browsing a "top 50" site just now, and went to middle click on a link to open it in a new tab. Instead of opening a new background tab, I was taken to that page. That irks me, as I like to middle click on lots of links, then go through them after I'm done reading the main one.

And one of the tabs I went to (a photography blog) had slowed down the scroll rate AND disabled the middle-click-to-scroll. I use the middle-click to quickly scan through sets of images or find something in the article I'm reading.

And today, I came across a website that featured one of those "video overlays" (where a person, usually the CEO or a female speaker, appears and welcomes you to the site). The difference between that and all the other "video overlays" was that you couldn't get rid of it (no close button), and it stood right in the middle of the screen, so a portion of the content was blocked by this Italian bloke. The irony was, it was for a web design company.

People have certain expectations when browsing the internet. And if something works on a vast majority of the sites you visit, you'd expect it to work on all of them, and to to have it otherwise is like reversing the gas and brake pedals on a car. Sure you'd learn to deal with it, but it's a poor design choice. 
Comments8
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Brain: "Shut it Down Now"
Dammit Grayda, I misread your name.
:eyes:

Bender
: I just know these things. I've got what they call "gaydar"
Leela: There's no such thing.

Bender: No? [He pulls out a machine with a small antenna on it from his chest cabinet. The antenna swivels around.] OK, I got a lock on him. [The machine beeps.] Yep! He's gay!

Amy: Are you sure?

Bender: Definitely. Unless I'm getting interference from a gay weather balloon.

Oh my God I hate those videos. I instantly close those pages.