Fucking Nintendo 3DS...

So I decided to buy a Nintendo 3DS today because I really wanted to play Omega Ruby (Groudon FTW). I originally didn't want to buy one for a long time as 170 euros wasn't worth the two or three games I'd play on it (Pokémon games), but I finally caved as the Pokémon nerd in me remembered all the nostalgic memories when playing on my favourite Pokémon games, which is the Ruby/Sapphire generation.

So I go to the website of a game store nearby and find out that they have a Pokémon sale. For 209 euros I'd get a white Nintendo 3DS, Pikachu cover plates and Alpha Sapphire already downloaded. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. But at the store the clerk told me that I wouldn't get a charger as it wasn't included (apparently they weren't included in the regular Nintendo 3DS either). He asked me if I had any other charger and I answered that I had a charger from my Nintendo DS and he said that those should work. I knew that if I wanted a new charger I would have to buy one and I didn't have enough money on me for that. I had brought enough with me to buy the Nintendo 3DS and Pokémon Y, which was around 255 euros in total mind you. Not exactly cheap...
So I come home, go about my daily routine of school work and other stuff and when evening came I decided to play Pokémon Y. After about three to four hours the batteries start dying on me, so I get my old charger to plug it in and recharge the thing. Turns out my old charger isn't compatible with the latest Nintendo console. It turns out that only the Nintendo DS Lite has a charger that is compatible with the 3DS...

So now I'm going to have to go back to the store and shell out another 8,50 euros to buy something that I feel should be included when you buy the damn thing itself. I'm not entirely sure what kind of sale tactics Nintendo is having here, but this is bullshit...
Now I would understand if the 3DS was only around 100 euros, but this thing was more expensive than the Nintendo DS when it was new... AND I got a charger with that.

Fucking greedy Nintendo... No wonder they're losing customers left and right...

TL;DR: I bought a Nintendo 3DS, they said that my old charger would work and it doesn't. Now I need to spend another 8,50 euros on something that should've been given with the Nintendo 3DS in the first place...

Anti-complaint: At least the game store isn't that far. It'll take me half an hour to go there and buy the damn charger if I bike there.

Question: The Nintendo 3DS as I got it lasted for about three and a half hours before I had to recharge it. Is this the usual amount of time that these things can work before you need to recharge it or does it last a lot longer after your first recharge?

EDIT: I've bought a charger by now, so I guess my first world problem is over. Time to continue training my Braixen.
Comments187
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My 3ds came with a charger... 
So that all sounds really weird. o.O
That's weird DSi chargers should work for 3DS, and also sorry to here
The 3d mode really kills the battery for the most part which is why I usually stay on 2d besides one or two great games at a low brightness if I can.
I have 2 views on this:

1 - Maybe they assume most people already have one, and don't include it because it would cost more for them to produce chargers people won't need, and some people would save a few bucks bc the charger price is not included.

2 - They're greedy.
Trolling Nintendo: Earth's worst hobby since killing people for sport. :B
I got a DSi when I was in fifth grade, and I have to say that I had a lot of fun with it. Ny brother got the 3DS this year, and we too were surprised that it needed another charger. It works with the DIs charger too. I agree, it should be included.
The DSi lasted for 6-7 hours, actually, at least for me. But I think the 3DS burns up more battery.
Yeah, I've been playing in 2D mode today and I'm only at 50%. I started playing at 3pm and it's 7pm right now, though I took breaks to cook and help my grandma move some stuff.
My DSi charger works for my 3DS. :shrug: I have the first gen 3DS and it came with a charger so I have 2, but that was back in 2013. You probably have the new one or they don't give out free chargers in their boxes anymore.
Oh, the horrors of Nintendo these days....
I got my 3DS when they first came out and it did come with a charger.  But yeah, it is weird that the "New 3DS" doesn't come with one, and the older 3DS models don't seem to come with them anymore either.

Moral of the story: Nintendo is greedy and wants your moolah.
yes the older 3DS and 3DS XL models all come with a charger(I have about 4 models) just not the new 3ds that came out this year which is ridiculous :no:
The reason I was given is "they're trying to focus the marketing on people who already have 3DS systems," though even with that it's still bullshit
Apparently Nintendo has some issues with the distributors or the like.
:shrug:
I dunno what the deal is
I've bought one myself a while ago and had to buy a charger seperately aswell -.- I bought mine for 199 € with New Super Mario Bros 2 preinstalled and also bought Fire Emblem Awakening.

The first charge seems to last for about 3 to 4 hours but after charging it for the first time it can be up to 8 hours depending on your settings. I usually have it with brigthness on 2, 3D (wich strains my eyes massively anyways) and wireless switched off and about 30% volume. It usually runs for about 5 to 6 hours straight with these settings. If you want to have the full 8 hours you need to put the brightness on 1 (if you play in a well lit area it's not so bad), turn off 3D and wireless and have the sound at most on about 10%.

I was a bit peeved by this myself (especially since I've found my old Game Boy after many years and the batteries where still working) but it's still better than an smart phone wich runs out of juice after like 5 minutes.
Yeah, I've noticed that playing around with sound, 3D and the brightness affects my batteries. I play around with a brightness of 2, 3D turned off most of the time and with the sound on. Although chances are I'll turn the sound off once I've finished this game.
I do the same with my smart phone, only turning on wifi when I need it, and it'll last me for a week.
I worked in a gameing store, and I got some complaints that the charger was sold separately -- everytime I told them, they'd accuse me of ripping them off. 

I guess Nintendo assumes that most who buy the newest 3DS will already have a charger for it because they played the previous consoles. Even if that's true -- they will probably trade their old one in. It's quite stupid on Nintendo's part.
Yeah, I feel you. I don't really intend on filing a complaint to the game store, because I know it's not their fault. This is Nintendo's work.

Apparently they've got problems with the EU when it comes to chargers.
Yeah, 3 and a half hours is the right amount. You can fiddle with the light and some other settings to make it last a bit longer.
No sound for me. :(
You can turn off wifi and 3D as well. There's also a power saving setting, but I'm not sure what good it does.