Was that *really* necessary?

So my wife and I watched the latest Steven Universe a few minutes ago, or tried to.  My wife has a gun phobia and we are generally restricted in what we watch to more children-oriented shows and even ones with serious overtones such as Steven Universe, Adventure Time or Gravity Falls still leave guns out due to their target audience.  Well, couple minutes in to "Onion Friend" Onion's mother shows up with shotgun in hand.  It was completely unnecessary in a community that has not been shown to be big on guns, there has been no indication of guns in Onion's family in particular and the gun was not fired or even aimed, so really it could have been replaced with a baseball bat and noone would have been the wiser.

To make things worse, after the gun was set down it was literally not animated in the following scene where it should have been located in the room.  It was so unimportant, so completely unrelated to the scene that the animators didn't even bother to continue including it.

I'm not mad persay, but I am disappointed.  This was a show that my wife and I could watch freely without worry of gun displays or use.  Now my wife is suffering from a massive panic/anxiety attack which is amplifying the pain of her fibro. 

Was it really worth it guys?  Having Onions mom show up with a gun that she didn't use, was quickly forgotten about and whose character wasn't shown as paranoid or gun-crazy in the slightest?  Even Mayor Dewey's security guards don't have guns.  I'm just really disappointed.  Now I have to screen every episode of Steven Universe as well.  An 11-minute-long kids cartoon.  This is just kinda absurd.
Comments123
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I support the depiction of guns in children's cartoons as I feel that you should educate kids early in age that having a gun is the most awesome thing in life that they can look forward to.

Steven Universe is awesome!
A gun in a cartoon is triggering? :stare: Your wife needs therapy desperately.

Also, while you say it is unnecessary, a LOT of things in cartoons come and go. I bet the gun was there for humor (looking at Steven Universe's animation style it seems that way.) A one-time visual joke or something.

One more thing, you have no reason to be a total dick to everyone in the comments. "OMG reading comprehension you idiotic bitch!" obviously if you're spouting this to multiple people then maybe you're the reason why your actual point is being lost on everyone. :roll:
Ugh....so don't like the word triggering.

Or a lot of people don't bother to read.  This is not uncommon here.
We do read. We just don't like what we read most of the time, and we most certainly do not read stuff posted by people who are acting like total dicks to be people like a whiny man-child.
You're welcome to not reply of course.  I'm fairly certain that people on this website are pretty big on the whole "if you don't like it just click past it" motto.

It's complaints, if I wanted your fucking help I would be posting in Help With Life.  Jesus fuck.
I didn't say anything about getting help besides therapy in my original comment. :lol: You sound like such a whiny brat right right now. It's your reading comprehension skills that are the problem, not ours.

And you are welcome to not reply as well. :lol: It goes both ways buddy.
I can sound like more of a whiny brat if you'd like.  You must have quite the ego if you think anything I've written comes across as bring a whiny brat.  Did you anticipate I would thank you for your insight, your glorious vision that somehow sees what noone has ever seen before?  A little asspatting and ego stroking tonight?

I made this thread to:
1: complain, as is such the nature of this form.
2: potentially discuss the matter of the unnecessary insertion of guns into media
3: generally just talk to people.

I'm not looking for help with the issue, we're doing what we can.  If you don't think it's enough then I really don't care.
:lol: I have no need to have asspats because asspats are for whiny teenage brats who don't get their way. And how the fuck does my ego = thinking your current attitude is shitty? No no, no ego is needed to detect whiny behavior. You're the one asking for asspats in a forum that is hostile towards hostile people. Lurk more next time. If you want to generally just talk to people then stop being a dick to people then maybe we want to talk to you.
If she's terrified of an animated gun on a kids' show, I suggest she sees a therapist or something.
Sure, but we do what we can in the meantime.  Even if she was in therapy, we'd still be spending the rest of the time at home where we would be attempting to enjoy our lives as much as we can. 

And to be frankly honest after not watching gun-filled programming (NCIS, SVU, etc...) for a long time I've actually gotten more sensitive to it and it makes me a little worried that perhaps gun-activity in cable programming is a little too prevalent.
The world isn't going to stop having weapons and or guns in television just because you and your wife are sensitive to it :P
:iconsamuelljackson: Reading comprehension motherfucker, DO YOU HAVE IT?

I never asked for that.  I don't even want that.  Jesus christ.
No, I never took a class on reading comprehension.
Well surprise surprise the world ain't gonna go easy on you buddy just 'cause you're "triggered" by proper grammar and the use of the English language!  Guess you better get some therapy!
At least words can actually hurt me... unlike an animated gun in a kids' show Laughing 
View all replies
Talk about a... trigger warning. 

:fart:
HA!  My wife made the same joke when she started feeling better later and we were talking about it.
i have a big baby phobia; your wife would give me a heart attack.
You won't be missed.
your wife is a big baby.
Troll harder.
i dont think you know what trolling is. im just telling you that your wife is a baby.
Sure, and you're trying to get me riled up over it.  I know my wife isn't a baby though and I know having phobias is nothing to be ashamed of.  So you're either spamming poorly or trolling poorly. 

Don't you want to succeed in life? 

Succeeding in failing doesn't really count you know.
View all replies