Why Do Women Have To Shave?

Now, I'm not a feminist. I'm not someone who thinks that being pressured or influenced into doing something is the same as being forced to. I'm just... I'm confused.

Why is it that if a woman has body hair, it's considered gross, unattractive (or unsexy) or just "manly"? What's the difference between the hair growing on her head- which is almost always seen as beautiful or feminine if it's long- but anywhere else on her body and it becomes the opposite? And why is it totally acceptable for a MAN to have hair on his legs/underarms/other areas, but I get weird looks for the exact same thing?

Not all women like to shave! I, for one, hate it. It's uncomfortable, time-consuming and ultimately useless because everything grows back right away anyway. :P

Mind you, I am NOT saying that women who don't shave should flaunt their hair like it's something to be proud of. It's just kind of unfair that men have the advantage of not being seen as strange or gross if they don't shave. Why can't women have that too? :(
Comments366
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Personally I've always found body hair on myself, other than my eyebrows and the hair that grows from the top of my head, just disgusting. I don't like the feel nor look of it. :shrug: My fiance wouldn't really notice if I didn't shave my legs too regularly, but I, I'd get bothered. I.. I actually go to rather lengthy measures to make sure my legs and all are smooth... :shifty: I think it's worth the effort to feel better about myself, for myself. I once asked my cousin about this, "How obsessed d'you think I am with this matter, on scale from 1 to 10?" Her reply? "How 'bout on scale from 1 to 100?" :dummy:
I guess there are some women who don't like doing it though, and that's fine for them. And I guess there are men who prefer to be more... smooth... as well. :shrug: Each to their own! Like my fiance, he shaves his head because that's an easy hair-do lol, and keeps his beard trimmed, and on hot summer days he may even shave his arm-pits to reduce perspiration effects in that area (he has to wear white shirts for work and all). :shrug: He says it helps, anyway. :lol: IDK. 
It's just a thing that young people and those who don't think for themselves have, after you actually start growing up you don't really care that much anymore.
I don't shave my legs because the hair there isn't very visible and i hate the feeling of shaving.

Armpits on the other hand, yes, shave them.
Just don't shave them every time you shower.
They don't have to but they should. A little hair isn't so repulsive but hairy humans look disgusting. 
Hey, guys.  I just started using Nair, and it works wonders.  My body hair is almost completely gone, and I didn't get razor burn like I get from shaving.  The best part is I no longer have a disgusting forest of pubic hair in my ass crack.
body odor associated with other areas... ???
I wonder what will come first as a new norm in a few decades...  Women having to shave their heads for that smooth feel or styling of the body hair, with dyes, straighteners and fancy cuts.
Honestly, I think both sexes should shave.
Body hair is disgusting on guys and girls.
Body hair is just completely unnecessary, we have clothing to keep us warm.

Everybody should shave every body hair from their bodies from the sideburns down..
But hey, that's just an opinion, MY opinion, thanks for reading!
(Game Theory reference ftw)
I heard that women in the western world shaving their body hair was a trend instigated by the razor companies during ww2 when men weren't available to buy their products. May not be true, but if it is, it makes a lot of sense.

I stopped shaving my legs, pits and happy place because it's a waste of time and money. My leg hair is also quite sparse and light. We have body hair for a reason - it's there to conduct moisture away from the thin and easily irritable skin in the areas. So it's more sanitary to leave the hair alone than removing it. :)
You don't "have to". It's a free choice. And if you think the society forces you, try to think twice who is driving your live: the world or yourself. 
Personally, I think both men and women should shave.  Body hair is gross, and it doesn't make sense that men are supposed to be hairy gorillas while women have to be completely hairless.  We have the technology now to get rid of body hair without having to shave every day.  I'm saving up for No! No!  It's a pain-free laser hair removal device that removes hair permanently if you use it enough times.  I would suggest you look into it.
we don't have to! ok? ok. Hair is hair like we are mammals, gtf over it people!!!!
Stop cutting your hair, wearing clothes or brushing your teeth. It's unnatural.
well I'm a nudist and don't think we should have to look like (what society thinks is beauty, so all you did is proof my point :) BUT i do think hygiene is important, be clean but you should have freedom to do what you please to your own body :iconjakewiggleplz: 
That's retarded.  Do you really think you can undo millions of years of human evolution and redefine what is attractive and what isn't?  I'm somewhat of a nudist myself (within the limits of my living situation of course) and I don't buy into this whole "Taking care of your appearance is unnatural." bullshit that gets perpetuated by the American nudist community.  On the other hand, I think it's stupid that women are expected to do all this hoop jumping to make themselves look beautiful while men are allowed to be fat, hairy monkeys, and if we are at all devoted to taking care of our appearance or having good fashion sense, we're assumed to be gay.  I guess I'm just a rebel.  That and a metrosexual.
What if I don't want to be clean? Stop oppressing me.
its just what i think, but be dirty if you wanna, you know what ever floats your boat lol
=P I agree. I don't like body hair and I think it's ew. But do whatever you want with your body.
I don't think she got the joke.
View all replies
you don't have to shave, but if you're hairy gtfo that shit's gross

this applies to all genders
Lol men look as disgusting as women who don't shave gross
You don't have to shave at all. I honestly don't save in the winter often, at least my legs. Personally I just don't like hair so that's why I do shave. :\ 

I honestly don't find hairy men attractive. It's really a matter of to each their own. I don't believe in shaming people for it but there are personal tastes out there too.
Honestly, you don't have to shave if you don't want to, you can find partners that don't care, and for the most part, in my experience, people don't notice that much. I am a woman with mostly blonde body hair though, so if you have dark hair that doesn't blend in with your skin people may react differently. I still shave my pits on rare occasion, but that's just a personal preference. I gave up shaving my legs because I frequently would cut them and I was scarring up my legs, mostly my ankles and knees. I also don't shave my vagina regions because the few times I have the results have been rashes and ingrown hairs which are painful and not sexy. So along with not liking frequent injury, I also hate the amount of time it takes, when I would shave my showers would jump from less than 15 minutes to an hour plus.  Now other women don't have the same amount of issues I have and enjoy the feeling of shaving, and I can't blame them because shaved legs against any fabric is a magical experience, and that's fine for them to shave. But not all women have to shave. What I'm saying is you do you and don't worry too much about how people will react.
How many men actively freak out that a woman doesn't shave? Because I know some of that is self-perceived or from other women. I'd rather find a dude who didn't give a shit than conform for some asshat, it's my body.

That said, I cannot with hairy men. Metrosexual FTW.

PS. Waxing P: