Post-surgery pain

I had a tubal ligation done last Tuesday. I don't at all regret getting it done and I would do it again in a heartbeat but god damn does the pain suck!

The funny thing is that the pain is hardly from the incision sites or my belly. My stomach's just sore and I can barely feel the incisions. When you get any kind of laparoscopic surgery done they pump CO2 gas into your abdomen to make it easier to see/move around. Some of that gas gets trapped after the surgery and gets all cozy between your liver and diaphragm and holy balls does it hurt! 

Ever get that random really sharp stabbing pain in your ribs when you breathe for no reason? It's like that, but all along the bottom of your ribcage. I could feel the gas bubbles shifting with each breath. Because human biology is so lovely and perfect, the pain travels up a nerve and hits your shoulder. So the gas is in my diaphragm but if I move, breath, or laugh wrong it feels like my right shoulder is broken! I've barely been able to eat anything either for the past 3 days since the gas makes it feel like I've already overeaten. =/ Oh and one thing they forgot to mention. If you have a catheter placed during surgery you may not be able to pee for like 8 hours once it's out. No clue why.

I've been sleeping on the couch to make things easier (my fiance rolls over in bed like a dying bear). This morning I got woken up at 5am by one of my ferrets having a scratch-attack in her cage (they get super itchy while sleeping for some reason). I'm just about to settle back down when a dark blotch near the ceiling catches my eye. It's a huge ass fucking cockroach! Oh the joys of apartment living....

Right as I see what it is, the damn thing decides to fall off the wall and land in the couch! :stare: So in a vicodin/pain induced haze I  leap off the couch and spend the next 10 minutes hunting the little fucker down and killing it. I am not becoming another one of those "roach in the ear" stories. 

So just venting while I wait for all this to get better. On the plus side having a couple sleepy ferrets with me means I have fuzzy heating pads I can pet!

Just a few useful things to have with you if you ever need surgery that I wish I'd had:

A dry-mouth rinse, listerine breath strips, and water for the drive home. You might get unbelievable dry mouth and your mouth will taste absolutely disgusting. Just keep eating ice chips/drinking something while you're in recovery. Get to dried out and it's gonna feel like you have strep throat.

And my fellow ladies, if you ever get this specific surgery done, bring your own pads. The hospital ones fucking suck!

Ok, rant over. I'm gonna go take some more vicodin and cuddle the ferrets.
Comments88
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hashae has post-surgical pain now that I've surgically removed his testicles with sick burns.

I hate him even more now that I know he watches his anime dubbed.
Oh jeez hope you feel better T.T normally I don't post in the forums (i just look) but man I remember a similiar feeling after I had my daughter via c-section. Oh ho ho that took a bit to stop feeling pain without medicine!

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

I personally went for a IUD since we want another x_x damn thing causes cramps beyond hell...
Thank you! :hug: I think I've finally turned the corner as far as pain goes. All I've got left is this annoying as fuck sharp pain on the right side below my ribs but even that's starting to fade too!

My gyno would even consider giving me an IUD since I'd never had kids. Apparently placing those things can be severely painful. I hope you find a solution for the cramps! Don't periods usually get milder with time with most IUD's? I hope it's the case with you!
Hopefully by now the pain is really subsiding!

It isn't recommended for those who haven't had kids I guess o.o but then again every doctor is different. It wasn't painful for me, the worst part was it actually going in, and because I didnt' deliver my daughter naturally but through a c-section, it had healed up quickly. Thankfully the pain itself didnt' last long, it was just the cramping after that got me. 
They do actually! Mine thankfully have, it's just THOSE cramps now :P I just prefer this birth control since my little girl was early and it's easy to just have it put in and not have to think about it for five years. Besides right now isn't a good time to have another lol xD I wanna spoil my current baby!
I'm all better! Still get the occasional shoulder pain but I'm more or less back to normal!

I'm considering Mirena right now since I'm just fed up with periods in general and want them to stop completely (PMDD is not fun at all). Trying some other BC options first but I've been getting  soooo many recommendations for Mirena!

Happy Mother's Day! :dummy:
That's good! :D Well you getting better anyways!

I have the Mirena! And I do recommend it! I haven't had a single problem with mine, just the typical things that come with having a IUD. Another way to stop them, well it worked for me, is to go on the Depo Shot. Mine was stopped for at least 3 months longer after I stopped it when my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby. The only thing with it for me was I hit every side effect x.x

You too! :D (a day late X'D)
I had that kind of surgery except that it was a total hysterectomy because I had cancer. I guess having a spinal cord injury is good for something. It didn't hurt me as much as it should have. The cancer actually hurt more. Hell, the knee surgery I had a few month before that hurt worse.
I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that! I've heard the gas pain can be pretty much eliminated if they use warm, humidified CO2, it's when it's cold and dry that it irritates everything!
Seems like an easy fix, why didn't they do it?
I have no idea. I wasn't aware it was that easy till I was looking up about it after the surgery. I'll definitely be requesting they do that though if I ever need that kind of surgery again!
I so know how you feel. Wisdom teeth pulled and period in the same day.
Ouch, that sucks!
I was glad that I had a tv nearby.
I vaguely remember lots of ice cream and moving my desk right next to my bed so I could keep netflix on without moving!
Lucky! I couldn't have ice cream.
I was told no ice cream too but I was in college and my dad left once he dropped me off so fuck if I was listening to that!
Who would ban you from ice cream?
View all replies
I just had my appendix removed in March:w00t:

Was that your first surgery? Because your survival kit was terrible (you had nothing).:meow:

Yes, recliners are better after having your abdomen invaded.
Getting into and out of bed was hella suck and impossible for like 5 days.

Pain pills for bed time, that's the secret:P

Get better!
It may be a general thing concerning female stuff surgery. Some of the women I talked about this issue encountered the same problem concerning supplies, me included. They give you stuff at the hospital that may not be what you need, because they expect you to go home fast, but ugh

Before my surgery they told me how to prepare myself regarding eating and drinking the previous day, but they did not tell me that after a surgery I needed certain things, hell, I went there nicely dressed and collected and came out like a war victim...Those ambulatory surgeries can be rough as hell
I'm a surgery veteran so I have a duffel bag with everything I need.:bucktooth:
That way if I get stuck overnight I am good to go.

I guess it differs from system to system. My sister had a pretty comprehensive
list of things for her surgery. She used Virtua in NJ.
It was my first "cut-me-open" surgery but I've been under general anesthesia before. I'd asked nurses/doctors if there was anything I should bring with me and they said no... Won't be making that mistake again!