Voicemail Telemarketers

Many times, I get a call from an unknown number. I always choose not to answer. Yes, that's trivial, but sometimes they leave a voicemail! I need to dial voicemail, listen to it for a few seconds, listen to the same old call about cruise to Bahamas, and discard the message. What a waste of time.

But recently, their tactics are changing. I'm getting more and more local calls where the caller's first 6 digits are same as my cell phone number's digits. And the last four digits are different for each call. From other's speculations: The telemarketer is using disposable phone numbers to make it harder to be blocked, since some people block unknown numbers outside of his/her region.

Unknown numbers do bother me. The only way to learn who's calling me is by Googling the number. If it's a spam email, at least I can look at the email address the spam email is from and its SMTP headers to figure out which country it's from and which technologies. (and of course, spam are easily taken care of by filters)

On the lighter side, the eerie trend of adjacent phone numbers calling me is less threatening than I expected. It's not a targeted attack at me.
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I hate the fact they always seem to ring at dinner time, and then when you ask if they are selling something THEY LIE, and continue with their sales pitch >:(
Ask them what they're wearing. :joinme: 
do not call registry :nod:
I keep getting calls for some old man. Even texts from his family at Thanksgiving. I should really do something about that, since it's been 2 years now. :paranoid:
My cellphone number used to belong to some girl in Tennessee. Used to get voicemails from churches, Delta Airlines asking about unpaid fees, and her bank.
You would think they would have caught on at some point that they are texting the wrong person :XD: 
Clearly not. I'm waiting for this year's text, and maybe even a voice mail. :la:
I never answer my cell unless you are saved in my phone. I also have visual
voicemail so I don't have to dial anything to hear/read my VM. 

I used to answer them and ended up verbally abusing the stupid people trying to 
convince me to fall for their shitty college scams.