Why does some users get emotional when we comment on their artwork?

Comment section are for "comments", not an "insult section" or a "praise section". By opening the comments section in your artwork, you are considered willingly to accept any kind of comments. Users also have the option to disable this section if they just want to display their illustration and not willing to accept any kind of criticism.

Then my question is why does DA users get so emotional and offended when other users comments on their artwork? Not including those really rude "This sucks, you should die" comments which is clearly just bullying and pointless. But the constructive comments like "I think it will look better with cleaner lines" or "I think this color is..." are also not well received. Sometimes I see the artist replying back to those nice comments with;

"Well it's not my fault I have school/work",
"It's not like I have a lot of free time like you to draw 8 hours a day",
"That's not fair you're a professional artist. I'm just a ..."
"My pet just died..."
"I just lost my car..."

I've seen a man without arms and draws with his feet takes comments on his artwork better.

If the users themselves admit that they're not professional artists, why do they put "Professional artist" at the deviantID section?

I'm also a student and I never used that to defend myself from the comments of my illustration.

Some replies are also sour like;

"Well it took me 2 days to do this. I challenge you to draw this exact same illustration if you could do any better!"

And some are just asking for trouble. Like sending private messages or notes to other artists and request them to comment "sincerely/truthfully" on their artwork. When people do give constructive criticism, they be all;

"You're a horrible person! I just lost my...! It's not my fault I...! I didn't go through art course!"

I sincerely request to those who are not emotionally and mentally prepared to accept comments or criticism to not request it from other people, and disable the comment section.

Happy illustrating :heart:
Comments206
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Thats why I usually fave and run here. Its terrible but its true. People seems to dont like honest feedbacks. just the "I LOVE YOU" part.

To be very honest I was going to ignore this but man, I almost killed myself not much time ago, I was very sick physically too, besides a lot of real shit that happened and after that too... And after another hard day I decided to coment something that I did not understand in a comic I liked from here at not much time ago.  One where I just said positive things before on the coments. And the author seemed to be very nice and even playfull with the coments before.

Then after that the person were rude with me with no valid reason in that reply, (just because I ASKED) said that if i had asked that on a note this would had happened. (LOL?)

Then even after the shock, tired and feeling sick (because of real life problems)I still tried to be racional, said that I had no idea of that, that it was impossible to gess all that because there was NO place in that page who said or specified that questions about the comic should goes in private notes, not in the coment scection. (Still what beautiful attempt to justify that huh?)then after that, the person just said something like " Well, sorry, I was in a bad day, lot of work on real life :3"
---
Aaaand this is not the first time that happened...

What I noticed is that you need a bit of skill and understanding of drawing already to separate useful critiques from not-so-useful ones. Some people seem to want to try make artists draw more like their favourite drawers instead of giving actual critiques.
I like comments of all kinda I think its encoraging athough someone telling you your art sucks is not encoragable at all. You should not say "this sucks" a better way would be "Study the anatomy more or use these colours etc" is more useful :) Some people though believe they are glorious and wont take any critique whatsoever.
Receiving critiques is not always easy, though useful. I think there's people who thinks that a critique to their work is a critique to themselves. So that's why have that kind of reactions.
Also you did a commission for me like a million years ago! :) Hello
Ah hello! ( ^ ^ ) Good to see you again. Yes you did. It was in 2013.
I certainly get some unreasonable critics of my art (mostly, people who go back to something i drew months or years ago and point out mistakes I have clearly improved upon in recent works.) But 99% of people who offer me constructive criticism are just trying to help. Regardless of whether I take their advice or not, I always try to be polite. Honestly there is no reason to be rude or defensive, it's so much easier to just be nice to people.
I take criticism as a tool of its own.  It helps me grow and get better and I encourage it on everything I upload (written works or drawn works).  It's all very helpful for me to make something better and improve anything that people criticize.  I'm always happy to be criticized, whether it's good ("I have no complaints!" are decent but rare, although they don't help much because they ignore whatever flaws may be lurking about) and bad ("It's too difficult to tell what's going on..." or "You should pick up an anatomy book to get those proportions right..." etc.).

Good stuff.
I'm pretty chill about comments on my work. I know that there're people who I never can make satisfied, so I don't really care.
As for me , being an artist you just have and must to open your heart and mind, accepting all kind of of insultation/ criticsms / advices/etcetctec which is good or bad. And never feed the troll learn that. This is internet sometimes we need not to look pathetic by 
reply those kind of statements negatively, its not just impact our work but also ourselves.
There is also an option to request a critique besides the comments, I see some use it.

Critiques are needed to evolve as it is impossible to see your own mistakes all the time. Though I have not ever run into anyone who just rages and foams at the mouth if you tell them what could be changed to improve, most of them just say "oh ok" but do not really listen. They simply want instant recognition.
Deviantart is filled with people who only want compliments. If you try to say anything critical they'll call you a hater or a troll. I run into people like this all the time and they have no understanding of why anyone would want critique. I really don't like being around people who give compliments like that so I'm desperately trying to distance myself from those people. I do not appreciate compliments and would rather never receive them. 
I'm strictly here for critiques and most of what I get are compliments. If I complain about my own work people seem to flock to tell me not to be so harsh.  I'm tired of it. I would do anything for the types of critiques these people complain about.
I enjoy all comments. Even the Trolls.
I dont get any comments :(
Some people are just too damn delicate.
If you are gonna make it in the art world, you're gonna have to take some criticism whether you like it or not.
One of my favorite webcomic artists just posted on twitter-
"The thing about becoming better is facing the fear of failure or receiving negative feedback. They aren't GROWING PAINS for nothing."
and to that I say AMEN!

I can understand if one person is constantly picking on every little thing on ALL of their pictures, yeah that can be annoying, especially when they nit pick about things that really can't be helped, but even that isn't that bad.
but yeah I agree, they shouldn't ask for criticism if they can't take it.
Personally I would be incredibly grateful if a professional took time out of their day to comment on my work.
Commenter: Neinkat, ur art needs more effort...
Me(neinkat): *crys in a corner
A nice rule that I like to go by is that if you can't handle constructive criticism, then you're not an artist. Grow up or gtfo.
Critiquing some nutjob's artwork harshly ended up in a massive drama saga spanning multiple sites and and ED page written about me + two other girls on DA.
This is DA. No one wants critiques.
I want critiques! :ohnoes:

I think Coffee--Pot has been the only person to offer me any since I got back on this poxy site though.
I'ma bitch though, most peeps are like OMG EVEILZ. 

Someone was asking about what she should make a tutorial on and her art was terrible. Child, you ain't ready yet, just keep practising. 

Naaah, I'm the bitch. 
Was it wank-tier animu art? I bet it was wank-tier animu art. They only would've been teaching others their mistakes.

People who don't listen to valid advice are the worst in general though.