Guess what, daughter? You're gay!

Surprise!

:iconwthplz:

Thank you, father. I would have lived my entire life without knowing.

You see, my father has this weird paranoia that I'm secretly a lesbian. His obsession with this assumption started out as being comical, but it's gotten to the point where every decision I make about my appearance is somehow linked to my "surpressed feelings".

Most recent is that I chopped all my hair off. I've wanted to do that for the longest time for many reasons, but sexual orientations is not one of them. For God's sake...

This (and the subject of clothes, footwear and the lack of make-up recently) has driven my father to initiate a heart-to-heart conversation with me about my feelings toward other women. Of course, I tried to explain to him that it was meaningless, but he persisted nonetheless.

Dear dad: Tomboy =/= Lesbian. Not too hard to understand, m'kay? :bucktooth: Your fears of me being 'abnormal' are not justified by stereotypes. Seriously, you and mom are always questioning my motives when it comes to how I look and what I like. You prematurely write me off as a lesbian or a transgendered individual because I don't fit in the mold that you have set up for my sister and I. It's unnecessary pressure and, quite frankly, a little hurtful. You'd think you would know me better than that.

I'm sick of being mislabled by, well, a lot of people. I get it, I don't "act straight". I like girly guys, but not girls. I don't crush, or drool over men. I haven't had a relationship yet and I mostly attract other females. But I am heterosexual. It may not make sense to everyone but it does to ME.

This is the opposite of what usually happens. You're forcing me out of a closet I never was in to begin with.

I want you to believe me when I tell you how I feel, not mistranslate my actions to fit your prejudice of what you think I am. It doesn't help me or actual lesbians/transgenders. Just stop it.

I must, has this happened to you? Or has it happened the other way around?
Comments540
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Maybe he wants you to be his winglady for picking up women.
Haha. If only.
this is weird. there are PLENTY of tomboys in the world. and you don't even sound as extreme tomboy as some people I know. strange but the upside is that you're like 18ish right? off to college and you won't have to deal with it anymore
16, but I am on my way out.

It is strange, yes.
I don't like gays.
You don't like a lot of things, it seems
Gays don't like you.
:lol:

This is going to be my response to every one of his/her I don't like X comments from now on.
You could start interpreting things your father do as gay and give him a piece of his own medicine. "Are you really going out with THAT shirt? It looks a bit gay, that's all. Are you and mom having problems in your relationship?"
He'd get pretty pissed... I'll do it.
You do sound pretty gay.
I do. But I'm not.
Why do you feel the need to defend your sexuality so much?
Well, it's most times confused, so I need to state it bluntly and repeatedly.
Or you could just not give a fuck, like anyone who isn't an insecure kid that just hit puberty. :B
its not nice to talk about yourself like that.
Hah. I hit puberty over 5 years ago. And when your orientation and your identiy become the same thing, it's hard to ignore. It's even worse when the only time your father wants to have a serious conversation with you, it's about a trait you don't even have. Pretty fucking annoying, and it won't end. Nothing I say affects the outcome.
Is it wrong to care about what your dad thinks of you?
In this situation, yes.
View all replies
Guess what.
There isn't a gay, lesbian, straight, cis, trans box.

Its a SPECTRUM.
One can have breasts and like wearing guys clothes without it affecting one's choice in sexual partners or one's gender identity.

I'm mostly cis, mostly hetro, and I like wearing clothing that society labels as not 100% feminine. We have choices. The rest of the world needs to chill. If other people insist on a label try saying that you are androgynous (not to be confused with asexual which is also a valid choice.) It means that you are comfortable having traits and choices that society labels both masculine and feminine.
Having so many combinations, it's hard to get an accurate picture of someone you don't know well :o Choices indeed