Math class frustration

I'm only on the first work problems and such and I'm already frustrated, so you know it's a college algebra class. Why people insist to teach advanced math as a means of logic problem solving is beyond me, what's it's making me do is vent frustration with imaginings o both destroying my stuff and self harm. >:-(. If I don't end up withdrawing or not failing I can hopefully take a more useful math class after this and for a good while be done with that demon.
Comments93
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ugh, math can eat a giant can of Froot Loops! :stare:
Mathematics by Sekrain

^ This right here is pretty much my life when it comes to math. Just no.
I'm taking classes on basic math and even that makes me go cross-eyed.
I don't really like math. I do have a couple of things that I like in them though.
like what if I may?
Indices. 
Algebra.
Geometry.

Only those three.
algebra (like the one you're thinking of) is the EASIEST math course in history
wait until you do linear algebra (with eigenvalues and matrices and multiple dimensions), then the running joke is that you need hard drugs
or until you take discrete math-- which everybody kinda thinks is pretty awesome
or just differential equations. It's highly annoying when the computer says the answer to a question is 'complex infinity'

basically, the math you're taking is SUPER easy compared to any other math class (STEM student here, not the arts), and the most useful. Seriously, when will you require matrices with ten dimensions in the real world? never
when will you require the volume or solving for x? a lot of times.
STEM told me they wanted me so badly (A's in Math and Science), and then they told me to fuck off because I said I like digital arts (ya know, art on the computer).

I know a lot of kids who sucked ass at algebra 1 and yet, they were a hell of a lot better at Geometry. :stare:
I guess linear algebra would be a lot more applicable in information technology. Then again, I don't know too much, but my linear algebra professor, who also happens to have an amusing Slavic accent, mentioned that every time a Google search is being performed, linear algebra is being used.
Truly accurate. 
Stick with it. Math is a matter of patterns. When you see the patterns you got it licked!
In my first semester at my new university, I took a course called "Topics in Finite Mathematics" because it's required for my double major. I had no idea if it was another Pre-Calculus class or a Calculus class, but I was taught linear equations, conditional probability (such as Bayes' theorem), combination and permutation and anything in between. At first, it was easy, then I noticed that I began to struggle because my professor wasn't good at explaining the material. Every night, I find myself teaching myself what I had learned in class. All of my homework were done online, and I open up the example window, replace those numbers with the ones in the problem I had to do, and worked my way there. Then the fucking tests. Oh lord. I flunked every one of them. Then the final exam, I got a big fatass F on it. Since my professor was generous enough, he didn't count it as much, along with the other tests I have flunked.

The surprising thing is, I got a B in the course, the lowest grade on my report card. I think my homework brought up my overall grade. 

When a professor doesn't thoroughly explain the material or is overall bad at doing their job, I tend to struggle. Luckily, all of my professors now are nice and are able to do their job, so I'm not struggling as of now.

And you know what's weird? I'm in business school and I have to take a science course. I know which one I want to take (Chemistry), but I want to know why I, as a double major in Global Business and Global Marketing, have to take a science course? I'm not trying to object to it, I'm just curious. 

Page 29 by SprinkleKrisKris

Here's one page of my upcoming series, Belonging. Page 29 baby!
damn

hell if I know
I read that as 'meth class' and I wondered what sort of accredited school would offer such courses. :lol:

The unfortunate thing is that nearly every single career I'm interested in requires extremely advanced mathematics, and I'm not particularly good at said advanced mathematics. Guess it's time to call a tutor.
shit

that would be an interesting class, could fit with either drug week in health class or a day in chemistry
I read it as meth class too.
What exactly is algebra about, if I may ask? What's the difference to this calculus I'm hearing about in this thread? I'm not familiar with the terms that are used in English. It's all math to me.
Algebra is kind of like the base of all math courses I believe, deals with different variables and stuff like x and equations. Kind of useful..sometimes.  And calculus I believe is probably the most advanced math course you can take and it basically talks about the accumulation of quantities (linear distance,volume displaced).
Calculus isn't the most advanced math course. There are plenty others that will drive your head against a wall.
Hm, okay, thanks for the explanation. Then I don't understand how anbody could have problems with that.