So you want to be an proffesional artist?

Don't do it, man! I'm warning you!
Find another dream job while you still can!

Come BackI wish I could quit you, game industry..  

There's always a million people that are better at it than I'll ever be.
I can't keep this job because it barely pays enough to live on and I'm doing other stuff than art 99% of the time anyway and that makes me a sad panda.
But I can't find a better job either because I'm not the very best, like no one ever was. And I have no experience in any other field. I've been doing this since I got out of college.

Sometimes I wish I would have just listened to myself when I briefly wanted to work with kids or animals, or be a cop, or to be a taxidermist, or a coroner..

So don't become a professional artist, kids! Just draw for fun! Get into a less stressful career, like law enforcement or the medical field!

TL;DR: Skunk can't handle rejection very well and is tired of being dirt poor. 
Llama Emoji-08 (Crying) [V1]

P.s. Anyone got any advice for me to improve my art fast?
I have to mainly improve my color, lighting and contrast.
Comments687
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you seriously want a comfortable life for your pets/wife and to pay your rent, work on making your art independent from your main source of income. Nows the time to really evaluate how much you really enjoy art. Having to keep on doing something solely to just survive is bound to drain the life out of the activity itself. Since youre saying you have no experience in another field or anything, Id say your best bet would to become an entrepreneur, since degrees these days arent the most promising things themselves. 
Being and entrepreneur is risky and stressful. I'm okay where I am. I make due every month.
I'd just like a little more space to afford things that aren't necessary to stay alive.
I got a slight increase in salary this year, so that's good. 
I do like art, but I think everyone comes to a point in their life where they question their choices sometimes. 
「 I'm okay where I am. 」 The tone of this thread implies otherwise. 

Thats alot of peoples reason for not wanting to become entrepreneurs. However, the riskier things in life tend to be the most rewarding. 
This was written one and a half months ago, when I got 10% less pay than I get now, just received a whole bunch of rejections and didn't know where to go from where I was. I'm a little more positive about it now.

It either ends up being rewarding or you end up on the fucking street. Not willing to take that risk. 
o-o cant the same be said for a job? 
No. I have a contract and they can't just fire me.
not exactly what i meant but alright. >w>;;
View all replies
It seems the biggest people now are the ones who have never done it for the money...and it seems those people don't exist anymore. 
I need money to pay my fucking rent, bills and food.
I never expected to get rich doing this, but I just want a comfortable life for me, my wife and our pets.
Should've picked a different career coz I only know of 1 really rich artist even on DA, like millionare rich.
Like I said, I never expected to be rich.
Tho many people don't become a career artist coz they expect it to lead to poverty.That's why I chose not to pursue an art career.
Ah well. I'm technically living in poverty, but I'm alive.
Are you one of the stereotypical artist that lives on instant noodles and charity food banks?
View all replies
I actually gave up writing because of that. Although I still dig into my so-called trilogy every once in a blue moon, it's not my favorite hobby anymore.

I wasn't as good as people kept telling me I was either. :paranoid:

Now I'm going to college in May (hopefully at least...I may have to wait until August when Fall semester starts) to study Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. I just hope that plan doesn't fall through too. :stare:
That sounds like an awesome plan. :) I hope that works out well for you.
Most of those kinda suck a lot.. >_>
Oh. Looks like I picked up the wrong course. :noes: Well uh...

YOLO
Get out while you still caaaan!
I could do that. But I like to take dangerous paths :eyes:

regrets my decision
I think I need to start linking people here when they say that I "need" to do professional art in the future because it's a "waste" if I don't and I could "become famous" and make "so much money"  roll eyes by Krissi001 I have no interest in going into any such field because I wouldn't enjoy it anymore
Yeah, if you don't really really want it, then don't bother trying.
And no one should expect to get rich with art. :XD: