My Fish Died

I had two neon guppies and have an angel fish. I had just fed them last night and was passing the tank to head downstairs when I saw something floating in it.

One of my neon guppies, Bob, was doing the doomed float!

He was all chewed up and looked like he'd been dead for the whole day! Crying 

I thought my angel fish, Pixel, was the murderer but my mom told me that fish nibble at the dead when they've been in the tank and left untouched.

So now I don't know if I have a murderer fish or if both Jerry and Pixel were nibbling on a dead body. 
WHAT DO THEY DO?! ARE MY FISH MURDERERS OR CANNIBALS!? Cry emote 

:icontealdeerplz: :iconsaysplz: One of my fish died and I may be housing the murderer/cannibal fish who did it.
Comments159
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm very sorry for your loss,it's very sad.
Yea, it kinda sucked at first. I was just disappointed that it happened and didn't realize that I was making some pretty common mistakes for beginners. ;w;
It's sad,but we all learn taking the mistakes.
Well if they are not of the same species, then they arent cannibals to begin with :D
Ah it s just what they do^^ My neons once ate all the eggs my catfish layed Shrug

But if it makes you feel better, you could hold a fish trial ;)
Oh, I know they'll eat the eggs! My ma used to have to separate the eggs and babies from the other fish before they got eaten. ;w;

My sister already had a trial! She said Pixel did it! In the end, it was not the correct answer. Ammonia killed the two neons. Crying 
ammonia as in the chemical
or did you actually name a fish ammonia?^^

I never bothered with sepperating them, except for once, when my black mollies had babies.
But they poop out so many that you dont even have to protect them, for atleast a dozen to grow up
Ah, the chemical killed them. I went and got the water tested a local pet store where I got my fish and the levels were so high, he recommended a partial cleaning a feeder fish to dirty up the tank. ;w; Both of which have worked marvelously well until I could buy ammonia tablets!

Ah, right, right. Can't save them all but at least you managed to see some of them grow up! Black Mollies are really pretty too! La la la la 
when they are small they really look like poop :D
I'm sure they do! XD
because of that I tried to fish them out at first :/
then they moveed and I was like
ARRGGHHH DEMON POOP
View all replies
It's okay. I made my tank better so it won't happen again. ;w;
I want a small aquarium but cleaning tanks suuuuuccckkss :crying:
That's probably the only thing I won't like about it. ;w; That and hauling water upstairs to add water back to the twenty gallon tank. 
Update since I can't edit my original post.

I bought a twenty gallon tank, Ammonia tablets, PH Down since that was high, a filter, and a heater. My fish are already a lot more active now that they have more room to swim in. They're doing marvelously and I'm very grateful to the pet shop owner for giving me a few discounts on the tank~. He's a very kind man!

Now the only remaining piece is a light. Thankfully, I found one on order as well, so it'll be here within the week. None of my other fish have perished due to my stupid mistakes. I am a dummy! 
Oh wait, I got the fish type mixed up (Neon Tetra's are a different kind of fish) but the same rules apply since both fish types are roughly the same size.
Neon Guppies (well, I always call then Neon Tetra's) are your typical small, fragile fish that do die pretty easily. I tend to buy them in batches of 10 at a time since I enjoy seeing them school together, but there's always that one that's dead within a day of introduction, sometimes I'll actually buy 11 because I just expect one to go the following day no matter how much or how few I get :stare: The remaining gradually go over the following months until I'm back to zero again. Good thing they're actually cheaper than goldfish. I heard that a similar fish - the Cardinal Tetra is a bit more hardy, but since they're more difficult to breed they're a bit more costly, and if the killer is another fish then no amount of hardiness is going to stop it from becoming its larger tankmates lunch :hungry:

In fact I don't have angelfish because the people at my local aquarium supplier said they're a bad idea in a tank full of smaller fish like those. They said angelfish can be quite aggressive to smaller fish (since I have a lot of platy's too - I choose them because I can have a lot and I like their bright colours :D)
I'm finding fish are very weird animals! 

I digress though, I know what you mean now! Both my neon tetra's are dead but my guppies and angelfish are fine as well as my goldfish that I put in to dirty the tank a little. The tetra's did the exact same thing to my mom when she started out. She had a bunch of them and they all ended up dead within a few days. She never made that mistake again and was careful about the tanks and what fish to own.

Like I said, my angelfish seems oddly passive so I have no idea what that's about! When I get a bigger tank, I hope that he remains as such. I'll keep an eye on him though just in case! I don't want him killing any of my fish!
I'm very sorry for your loss and I'm sad with you.
Angel fish are known for being aggressive. But I have had guppies die on me  when I used to buy them in hopes of breeding them. I had a family friend that raised Angel fish and they had to separate them sometimes. My guppies never fed on the dead fish from what I remember. Though I had a couple other fish that would nibble on the dead body now and then as well as a snail to clean up the mess if I didn't get to the body in time. 
Hopefully if I get a larger tank and clear up the water, everything will work out for the better. My angelfish has not been aggressive at all but I've read some can be. Surprisingly enough, it's my fancy guppies that are a little aggressive. I suppose personality in some fish vary. 

Regardless, I'm keeping an eye on the situation and as soon as I get paid next week, I'm going to try and invest in something better.
Murderer fish! :noes: I hope they don't get legs and come to kill you!