"That's not art!" blah blah bah...

Is there any widely agreed upon set in stone definition of art? I hear people bitching about various things and their complaint is ____ isn't art.  Are these complaints remotely valid? 

Food for thought: Art @dictionary.com 
1.the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

can anyone find a more vague definition? 

If you post "not-art" art here, your awesome!
Comments170
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
This is the world's biggest trick question because anything that one considers art is art.
people spreat this idea don;t do shit themselves
your probably right. 
The only definition any amount of people will ever agree on is their own inherent narcissism. Some days I don't know what's worse; people who flaunt around their stylistic prejudices or people who get butthurt about people having stylistic preferences and insisting everyone has to like their art. 
Who cares what art is? xD As long as we enjoy doing ( drawing/ painting / etc. ) and there is anyone who like what we're doing it should be fine for everyone. 
Of course we should try to don't show for example Satan killing Jezus to christians and leave such things for ppl who won't be angry after seeing our masterpiece xd You know what I mean?
When I see art defined in these ways that you just described:

quality

aesthetic 
principles

beautiful and appealing

...I think it really puts into question a lot of those Flash animated cartoons that are passed off as "2D animation" on television today, because one of my main beefs with today's cartoons is that I think a lot of those kind of shows look terrible! Look at a cartoon like Total Drama Island for example and tell me that the aesthetics of that show look appealing, or that a cartoon like that really shows any quality in how it looks or how much it's been animated. As far as animation in the actual industry goes, that's one example I can give for defining art.
I've already whored in a couple of threads last night, so I don't feel like doing it again right now.

That said, there are some "art forms" I don't get. Most abstract art like you find in "prestigious" art museums confuses me, and I suspect that's intentional. I am also leery of people who depend on pre-made bases or doll-making websites to make the majority of their art.
Riding your comment because the OP abuses the blocking system like the coward.

Art whoring!
gif happy halloween by 6l33  Pixel Castle in the Sky by Goodlyay  n o c o l o r e s by ra-gro  Porth Cywfan Sunset by Photosbykev  RAWA girl by FPesantez  Puck, at Twilight by kolaboy  Headquarters by sakaaali  Spirited Away by CaffeTylo  
Wow am I famous
Nice stuff! I like the RAWA character the most.
Undiscovered gives me great art to fave :nod:
I don't totally understand photo-manipulation of pictures someone else took. I've done a few myself but haven't posted them here, I was mostly just doing it to play around though.  I have much more admiration for photo-manipulation if the artist took the picture themselves then manipulated it. 
I have done photo-manipulation a few times, but not very often. I understand your feeling though.
its still fun and can look good but its just part of the work
 This thread almost makes me miss illastrat. Almost

THAT ISN'T ART! by illastratsWigplz
Goddammit I was gunna post that. You beat me to it. :<
 I think it comes to many minds when we see " That's not art!" :XD:
Indeed ;^; complaints is duller without its shining dumpster fire
 There's a few shining dumpster fires that I would kind of get excited when they write a thread because Im a terrible person .

But things have gotten slow and empty lately.
Illastrat and that Asian cosplay nutjob spring to mind
 hmm

I can ship it. It would be the sort of ship that makes you end up on some type of anti-psychotic medication but..

Illastrat x ProudAsian

MyLittleSchool x Silversongwriter

Ive got to take a half hour to write some fanfiction...
dooo iiit hahaha MLP:Evil fluttershy 
He did provide ample art-whoring opportunities.