take this complaint to tumblr

This complaint involves triggers and the fact that real life doesn't have trigger warnings. Also, the reason I'm not posting this in HWL is because I'm already getting a lot of help for this in real life and this is mainly how annoyed I am with this.

Our choir concert's tomorrow, two of my school's choirs are performing and I'm in one of them. I would normally be excited except for the fact that the last time I performed with a choir, someone collapsed on stage and died. That was over 4 months ago and you'd think I'd be over it by now, but recovery from tragedy isn't really a quick process and I still cry at night, get flashbacks, etc.

But tomorrow, I have to wear the exact same dress I was wearing that night, sing with a bunch of people that have never had something like that happen to them, and be joyful and happy and not have a panic attack. The worst part of this is that some of the music we're singing is about death. (it's a popular subject for musicians) And when someone close to you has just passed... let's just say that I've had to leave rehearsal a few times because of the fact that I was crying. I'm terrified that I'm gonna panic on stage. Not to mention, I'm afraid of people dying on stage.

But the actual worst part is that I have to stay to watch the other choir perform even more songs about death and how much they miss those they've lost, and I already know that at that point I'm gonna be crying enough that I'll just wanna go home... but I can't because if I don't stay for the whole show, they'll count me as absent. So I have to choose between emotional torture and getting a B in choir, which SHOULD be an easy A.

But the actual worst part is that the girl standing next to me stands way too close to me and breathes down my neck, and is also flat half the time.

tl;dr: wow what a loser get over it triggers dont exist go back to tumblr you special snowflake
Comments52
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Update: I did it, it was hard and I almost panicked a few times, but I pulled through and I'm really proud of myself.

I'm gonna close this thread now because people aren't gonna read this post and keep replying.
Triggers are no joke.  They jump out of innocent words and slap you upside the head 20 years later.  If four months is too soon, then four months is too soon.  The only cure for grief is to grieve.
In your case you have a pretty legitimate reason for feeling anxious about the performance. If you feel that you are not ready to preform after your experience then don't. Inform the school of why you are unable to preform ( you don't have to give every detail) as well as a letter from a councilor. The school shouldn't be able to mark you as absant if you have given notice. Four months is a very short time when it comes to things like this. You will be able to preform again but not when the image is still so raw in your mind. The performance is not worth your health.
How I deal with health problems and schooling :p
... You could just quit choir?

Damn you kids today and your extracurricular shit. I didn't do ANY of that and look how good I turned out.
and we're all very impressed :nod:
I'm a music major so I have to take choir.

Although I don't have to take it next semester, and I might not...
Escape! And never look back!
If youre just going to be a wreck, rightfully so, they might give you a B anyhow for poor performance. But idk your school, it just already sounds assholish not giving you space
I hate to put it this way, but if you're serious about singing you need to be able to deal with this.

I'm not a religious believer anymore, but when I was I sang in the church choir and eventually was ordained to minor orders. I've been to a lot of funerals. And this was a church where the entire service is sung or chanted, so I've also done an awful lot of singing.

In the funeral service, there were always two hymns that got me, one in the middle and one right near the end. It was hard enough to get them out even when they're just for the regular sort of memorial service you might do after a Sunday service, but when you have to sing them at a funeral, when you're about to close the coffin forever on someone you've known for years, and who you love... It's hard to keep from breaking.

But you have to. You honor the people you miss by singing through your tears. Think of it as singing for them. You honor them and their memory by sending out your voice to be heard. It's not just for a grade. It's for them.

As far as the girl who always sings flat, step on her foot.
What a load of crap.
Hey, she wants the complaint taken to a tumble dryer.
No reason to spam garbage.
You must be new to the complaints section, lots of things go on here for no reason or simply done out of boredom. That's why the rules tell you to lurk before posting. Otherwise you enter at your own risk :shakefist:
We spam on shit threads.  Spamming on a legit complaint where the OP is in need of emotional support just makes you look like a moron.
Except not everyone in complaints cares, I see it all the time. 
I still think spamming shitty art or spamming anything in general is still bad.  Really, I don't know why it doesn't break any rules.  You're just spamming.
View all replies