Shaky-cam

Cinematographers and directors who use shaky-cam in any context other than simulation of amateur video, "on the spot" news coverage of some emergency, or some other situation where we the audience are supposed to be looking through a lens, should have botox injected into their necks until their heads flop around like the cameras they jiggle.

James Cameron even used shaky-cam in Avatar, in scenes that were entirely CGI. Ridiculous.

The audience is not supposed to be aware of the camera. Shaky-cam makes us aware of the camera, AND it give me a headache. Whoever invented it needs to get dickpunched.
Comments13
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I get motionsick in video games... don't think I've ever bothered with a movie that did it. Avatar included.
A whole 3 hour movie all shot by a shaky cam, think about it.
Yeah, I've hated shaky-cam ever since I saw Gladiator, that overrated sack of monkey shit.  The only time shakey-cam is "convincing" is when it's some goddamn founded footage movie, and THOSE are a problem all in their own category.

And SPEAKING of overrated monkey shits, James Cameron isn't exactly known for having good ideas.  Even his good movies like Terminator were blatant plagiarisms, which he even admitted to stealing from Harlan Ellison on an episode of Outer Limits.  So Cammy-boy can shove avatar up his unoriginal colon until it solidifies as blowitoutyourassium, or whatever bullshit placeholder name you want to call the substance.
I hate that you can't really see what's going on. If you're making a movie and there are some parts the audience is unable to see, then what's the damn point?
It gives me a headache as well, especially in the cinema.

It's a shame. :B
In Mad Max the Road Warrior it was acceptable and really quite impressive, for everything else?

D E A T H
Then too, back then it might have been a valid artistic choice. It was unusual then -- and to an extent unavoidable, if a film's budget wouldn't allow for a Steadycam operator. But now it's everywhere, and it's lost what use it may have once had. It must stop.
Yes. Someone said it.
Nothing like a rushing action scene with a shaking camera trying to distract you.
If it's supposed to make me feel like I'm actually there, it fails. I've rushed into a number of action scenes IRL. Your brain filters out your up-and-down movement, and you perceive everything you're seeing smoothly. Shaky-cam doesn't look like anything but incompetence -- only it's not because they do it on purpose.
If I'm running away from something, usually I like to be able to see what's going on...
I was usually running toward something, but yeah.