"look what you did!! you got CREAM CHEESE in the BAGEL HOLE"

two weeks ago, i started working at krispy kreme. it started out okay, and i got to take free doughnuts home to my parents so that was cool. my second day of training, there's a HUGE rush of people. all i knew how to do at that point was glaze doughnuts and clean the bathrooms, but maggie, the manager, insisted i attempt to fill orders and make drinks and toast bagels. i didnt know where anything was, and when i told her it was only my second day of training, she told me to deal with it. she gave me a headset but didnt tell me how to use it, so i got to hear her bitch at me for four and a half hours. she told me to help the customers but then proceeded to tell me i wasnt doing anything right, instead of telling me how to fix it.

when it was finally time for me to leave, she stood in front of the register and refused to let me go home. earlier in the day, she made me put my phone in her office, which she locked and wouldn't let me into. i couldnt get to my phone, i couldnt clock out, i couldnt leave; i got out of there an hour later than i was supposed to and was late for a doctor's appointmemt that i had scheduled since last year. everyone else was allowed to have their phones, and there was nothing in the manual about cell phones. i dealt for the entire week without too many more issues.

fast forward to saturday, where yet again, i was given a headset without any explanation on how to use it. nobody else would show me how to use it so i just sort of brushed it off. i was supposed to be done training by the end of the day, but i had gone over next to nothing in my training manual. everyone was too disorganized to care. i got such complaints as "don't give customers bags even if they have four boxes of doughnuts! what are you even doing?", "you couldn't complete that order in under two minutes, you're too slow!", featuring new hits like "you got CREAM CHEESE in the BAGEL HOLE! what are you doing, who taught you how to do this??" and "you didnt greet them loud enough!", followed by "that was TOO loud. would YOU want to be greeted like that?" everything i did was a problem, and i was very literally pushed aside the entire time.

surprise, surprise, she kept me over an hour later than i was supposed to be there. when i told her about the dentist appointment (that i had set up six months earlier) she said "that's too bad, you don't have any set end time." she told me when she hired me that i had four hour shifts, which is one of the reasons i took the job in the first place. my anxiety levels were through the damn roof, and her nagging me all day through the headset, combined with the fact that she refused to let me go home AGAIN, resulted in my hands shaking so badly that i spilled a customer's boiling hot coffee all over my hands and got second degree burns. i wasnt allowed to take care of them though; she just told me to put a pair of gloves on so the customers wouldn't see.

yet again, my phone had been locked up so i couldn't even text my parents to let them know what was going on and why i was so late. i was late for a dentist's appointmt this time, and after another unbelievably crappy day yesterday, i quit. i tried filing complaints with the franchise owners, but i couldn't get in touch with them and there was no place to leave any sort of feedback on their website.

TL;DR: bossy manager and a disorganized team combined with very little actual training and poor treatment makes me quit my job after only being there two weeks.

anti-complaint: my cousin is the manager of a gym, and he called this morning with a job offer for me. it'll be a lot less stressful with a much better paycheck and more stable hours!
Comments163
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Since she didn't let you leave, wouldn't that be false imprisonment?
I'm pretty sure you could sue for duress, plus the burns thing, seeing as they could have possibly made your burns worse by not letting you go and take care of them. That manager should be reported.
Your phone had been locked up? Did you just hand it to her or did she steal it from you? If she asked me a second time to have my phone so she could lock it up I'd tell her she could shove it up her cunt.
she said "wolf, do you have your phone? it needs to be in the office." i told her it was in my bag on the table in the break room and she made me stop what i was doing to go back there and bring it out to her. i hoped that if i procrastinated long enough, she would forget it, but she wouldn't let me do anything until i gave it to her. :stare: i'm not ever letting that shit happen again. i thought it was some kind of unspoken rule and that everyone had to do it, but i realized something was up when she only ever asked me for my phone and not any of my coworkers.
I don't blame you for quitting, she's a cunt and I hope she gets hers. I hope you get a better job. First jobs can really suck.
i have another job now, which i'm supposed to be starting by the end of next week if everything goes well! i'm confident that it'll be better :la:
If what you are saying is entirely accurate, then not only is this person a horrible boss, but what they are doing is illegal. She has no right to take your phone and lock it up. It is your property and your first mistake was in handing it over to her. The company does have the right to limit phone use and perhaps even ask you to turn it off and not use it during work hours, but her demanding you to turn over you property to her for lockup is not okay( especially considering the same rules are not being applied to the other employees). And refusing to allow an employee to seek medical care when injured on the job is not only illegal, but telling you to just cover it up is pretty damn screwy. I'm going to make a wild guess here and assume that she never filed an official report about your injury? You would probably have grounds for a lawsuit based on several issues you've mentioned here. If you are underage, your parents will need to take action but nothing in your story seems even remotely acceptable for a working environment.

Here is a link with some basic info...you need to get this stuff straightened out. Even if you need to find another job, this person should not be allowed to treat any employees like that.

smallbusiness.findlaw.com/liab…
she's a pretty screwy lady! and yeah that was my thought process exactly with the phone issue. it was ridiculous. even when i just had it in my bag on the table in the break room (i literally never went back there until i was getting my stuff after i clocked out anyway) she would have a bitch fit. i'm not underage but my parents still know and they've got my back. we're in the process of letting everyone in charge know exactly what happened so they can take action. thank you for the link!! i really appreciate it c: it might take a while to get this all sorted, but we're getting there.
Everyone knows you dump a guy who gets cream cheese in the bagel hole.
you got CREAM CHEESE in the BAGEL HOLE

:iconbuenoplz::iconsaysplz: Very Bueno.
Man, before Krispy Kreme closed here, I thought it was the best place ever. :stare: now what do I think??
their donuts are amazing. management, though, not so much :stare: but that was only this one franchise, though. i've heard great things about other ones, though! #notallkrispykremes
Oh good. Now back to my blissful donut-y thoughts.....
the pumpkin cheesecake ones are my favorite !!
She's a ...not a nice person.

I would demand you get overtime pay at least for staying late. That's illegal to not pay OT in some areas. Regardless of your quitting you should get that money you earned.

Yay for your anti-complaint. Best of luck with the new job!
she was intimidating, too. like, one-foot-taller-than-me-and-200-pounds-heavier intimidating.

i'm awaiting my paycheck via mail right now. if i don't get it within the week, i'm going up there and demanding it.

thank you! also, i love your icon :la:
Ugh, I see. That's def intimidating.

Good luck on your paycheque. Make sure to count it all up to see if it matches the hours you actually put in - including that overtime. If not, demand you get the proper amount before you cash it. Cashing it early is basically 'agreeing' to what they gave you. So good to double check.

Thank you! SadistSkunk made it for me via commission. She's really good at these icons. I def recommend commissioning her if you ever want to change your icon again. :)
i have my clock out receipts so i've got proof to back me up if they try to cheat me out of my money! it hasn't come yet though and i'm afraid they'll try to find some reason not to pay me :<

i think i just might do that :la: her icons are great, i've never seen one i didn't like!
Good. And if they ask for them you can give them copies. Save the originals...for court. ;)
that's what i'm thinking :^D i should have gotten it already, but i haven't. i'm going to call there and see what the big deal is. I WANT MY MONEY DAMMIT :stare:
Walk right into the office. You'll put them on the spot. Go with a friend as a witness. Then write down the date time. Esp if they have video surveillance you can verify that you were there asking for your cheque.

G'luck. :hug:
View all replies