Stop Calling For the Love Of...!

Alright, so here's the story:

I'm enjoying a nice little nap, as I've been very busy this week and today and tomorrow is basically the only time I can get a little rest and relaxation. After that, it's back to work. 

Enter the annoying phone call. 

For the last half hour, I have received the same damn call from the same damn number, bugging me to listen to a text to landline message. Now, I thought it over, trying to figure out if it might be my brother calling, and decided to listen. I got a computerized voice speaking gibberish for a few seconds and then the same damn automated voice that I have a text to landline call... and the cycle continues. (I ruled out the possibility of it being my brother after that.)

So, after receiving the tenth call, I decided to call my telephone company and see if they could do anything to help out. I accidentally called the wrong line, was quickly directed to the right one (once I was able to understand what the representative was saying and vice versa). The guy who answered was very helpful. He looked into it, said it was unlikely it was a spam call, but gave me instructions on how to block it.

I immediately tried to block the number (almost immediately after hanging up, the phone rang again, and guess who?) and for a few minutes, the number was rejected. I kept trying and was finally able to block it, so yay for that! 

:icontealdeerplz: Annoying text to landline call interrupted a peaceful nap I was having. Calls continued even after "message" was listened to. Anger was activated... appropriate steps to terminate calls were taken. 

Bonus Complaint: I'm still sleepy, but too awake to return to my interrupted nap.

Anti-Complaint: I hear nothing but a gentle breeze through the trees and a few cars going down the road. No calls. The block is actually doing its job! :dummy:
Comments42
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've been getting this exact same problem too, but for a long while. Although, I've got a special device known as a call-blocker which helps you block these incoming stupid calls that creep through the landline but for some reason, not every one can be blocked. Apparently, it happens to everyone because our names are on the voter's list. That's not the point... we value our goddamn privacy here, and I was getting sick to death of some moron having the nerve to phone this house FIVE TIMES, over glazed windows. If it happens to us again, legal action will be taken.

At least that's the end of your problem though... but mine certainly hasn't :angry:
Oh wow... So it's not just some random moron making random texts to landlines because he's bored?

It turns out the problem hasn't been fixed. We've still been getting the text-to-landline calls every so often. But hopefully, now that one of my dad's friends - who also happens to be a cop - has been informed, we'll see an end to the damn calls. 

Hopefully yours ends soon, though. It's very annoying to receive them. 
Well, I suppose that caller was "bored" at some point. And by the way, it happened a sixth time today. He really has a bloody nerve :disbelief:
Yeah, maybe.

And that's a pain in the ass. Has it stopped at all since then?
Well I'm hoping it is, after my mum told him to "pack it in" and hung up shortly afterwards. Think he's gotten the message by now.
Haha, good for her! 

Apparently our phone problem's been taken care of as well. We were told the person calling us is mentally handicap and we weren't the only ones that received such calls. 
I love fucking with those calls by answering with such things as "Satan's office, Judas speaking how can I help you?"

try it sometime, I have 20 of them.
Haha, that's pretty awesome. :D

I once messed with one of those calls where they're trying to get remote access to your computer. They tell me there's something wrong with my Windows computer, and I immediately say, "Which one?" or "I have a Mac." 
hahaha, I had a "social security guy" when he asked for my last four of my number I told him I'll give you my last four for all of yours. :innocent:
Hahaha. Did he hang up? XD
Put your phone on silent, or take it off the hook.
I did leave my phone on for a while the other day, while I was looking for the right number to get a hold of my service provider so I could nip the spam calls in the bud. But you can only do that for so long. They called again last night at some point, and when given the option for an audio reply, I clearly spoke, "Please stop calling!" and hung up.

Some yahoo is probably just having fun fucking with people. It's a normal cellphone number with a normal sounding family guy who recorded a normal voice mail message for those to leave their own. If he keeps calling (or someone from his family, maybe?) I'm going to call it back and leave a rather angry,  but polite voice mail to tell him to stop. 
Phhtttt, yeah I keep getting spam calls on my mobile and it does drive me crazy, but it's usually ones where the number is withheld. I don't even bother answering the thing unless it's a number I know anyway and just let it ring or put it on silent.. I thought mobiles were safe from crap like that, but apparently not.
I've had a few spam calls on my cellphone before, but all of the people that I know who call me are listed as contacts and therefore their names and numbers will show up. If someone's number I don't know shows up, or doesn't even make sense as a number, I immediately ignore it and let it ring until the spammers decides enough is enough and lets it drop. 
:nod: Yup, I don't even reject the spam calls, if you do that then they'll know they've got a legit number. It seems to be happening less frequently at the moment, but I still get the occasional one or two, it used to be almost every day.
Well, since I've done all I can with blocking (even though in the end that did squat) and talked to my service provider... the only thing left was to inform the police. That too has been done, so hopefully whoever's having a fun time texting my home phone, will be stopped very soon. 

Do they call you continuously every day?
To be honest, I don't even know if you can block a withheld/unknown number. But in your case, it really looks like blocking numbers doesn't do any good ><

No, thank god. It used to be almost every day, several times a day, but thankfully my phone is mostly quiet now and the calls I get are from people I know. maybe most of the spam callers got the picture when I never answered and just gave up.
Landlines make it a bit more difficult. It's easier on a mobile phone to block a number, but at least you know how to now! :O
It's weird, but I prefer landlines. I feel more secure having one, but a cellphone is good when you're out and about and don't have a quarter on you to call home. :D

I don't really know how to block anyone on a cellphone, either... mainly because I don't have any reason to. But yes, at least I know how to do it on a landline now. ^^
I can understand that. :nod:

I imagine both have their pros and cons.

Yeah, it's better if you have a smartphone because then you can download apps to block the numbers, but it's all a bit complicated. >.>
At least you're not getting calls asking for your cousin's crackwhore ex-wife whom he divorced over a decade ago.