"Leaving DevinatART.com"

Can someone logically explain to me why every time I want to press a non-DeviantArt link, there is a useless yeild page reminding me I am leaving DeviantArt and says something dumb like "Out there be monsters?"

tinypic.com/view.php?pic=rqvyc…

Is this some security measure? I do not understand. It seems entirely pointless, and other art websites do not do it! 

I hope to God there is a good reason. 
Comments32
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Thank you, everyone! I now understand that this "Leaving DeviantArt" page is actually a legitimate security measure to prevent clicking malicious website links. I feel they could have emphasized that reason on the "Leaving DeviantArt" page itself, since new and young users do not know about the malicious issues, and informing them through this page could probably raise awareness more than just yield them with "Out there be monsters."

Thank you very much! 
They just want you to fart in THEIR direction. dA can be overly attached to its memebers. : (
:shrug: Doesn't bother me. I just took it as a joke.
Users under me have emphasized that the page is actually a security measure to prevent DA-looking-scam sites from being clicked. This makes me feel better, and it does not seem like a joke anymore! :D
Because we're all presumed by staff to be idiotic children who don't know what we're doing.

If you have the Greasemonkey add-on for Firefox, look for the DeviantArt outgoing link redirector script. It eliminates this annoyance.
Wow, you sure acted quickly in getting rid of the annoyance! 
This site tends to get largely targetted by link scams, phising, and malicious links in general. There was a MASSIVE haul of them I think in 2007, although I never clicked on one, they added that page.
Yeah XD Either Firefox or AVG will rape my screen with warnings of that stuff XD

Which is good (I am actually considering buying anti spyware anti virus stuff rater than free, I dunno it seems you get full protection if you actually buy it)...unless what I have I presume is doing a good job.
Thank and everyone else by the insight! I did not know there was such a scary malicious link issue. That explains the page, and it makes me feel much better. 
Is it really that big of a deal if it is or not? This is really pointless to complain about as almost all large websites that tend to attract numerous scammers do this as a security measure. :lol:

help is the place to go for these sort of questions so in before :iconlocklaplz:
Oops! Sorry! I am not used to the forums, and this forum area had some Question posts, so I thought this would be okay. I cannot find anything on this security measure in the Help and FAQ though. :(

I actually did not understand it was a real security measure until people below explained it. 

Haha, I know how fast moderators lock posts! Thanks!
They should be locked as this threads really don't belong here. You don't want some gobshite telling you one thing which is completely untrue. You're better off from hearing from people who run the site than the community. :B
You are right. Thanks for the tip!
No problem. If you want to lock the thread, go to the right hand side of it and you'll see "Close Thread" and that should do the trick. :3
It's a security measure; there was, and still is, a large scam risk and dA's little in between when you leave the site prevents it the best it can. Plus, it's always been there. Since the early years (at least as long as I've been on this account lol). It's very cute, in a way. 

This explains it;
support.deviantart.com/entries…
I get it now! At first, I was angry with it there, but with everyone's explanations of why and how it was there, the reasoning makes sense, and I am less angry.

As long as it was not there to just obnoxiously say "Hey, don't leave our wonderful site!" I despise those type of websites. 
lol no.
DeviantART put it there to protect its users; it's not there to be annoying, it's a safety precaution. I think it's rather sweet. And the "there be monsters out here" refers to harmful sites and viruses that could infect your computer.

It's like when your virus protection flags the site as 'dangerous' and it asks if you wish to proceed at your own risk. Kinda like that, really.

It shouldn't make you mad. It honestly makes me feel like dA at least cares a tiny bit. 
That makes sense now I read this :) I thought it was just trying to be cute or funny thing but good point :)

The one thing I seem to have notice lately is that programs that you can download that are good (like AVG) seem to have piggy back rider programs that just mess your computer up -.- I added it to my laptop and all the sudden AVG was telling me these several viruses and bad programs were on it so I had to take some time to uninstall everything, etc and what not.

Really AVG? You're supposed to be good! WHY DO YOU HAVE THESE BAD PROGRAMS ON YOU WHEN WE DOWNLOAD YOU?! D: Not cool :( But my laptop is okay I hope XD

Harder to trust anything you download when you hear/read it's good -.-
Well. there are phishing scams that create pages looking just like dA to steal your password, this warns u
At first, I did not understand it, but after reading some of the comments below, I do understand the security in it! Thanks a lot! 
Several websites do this. It's just a standard "Hey you're leaving this website! Why are you leaving? Are we not good enough for you?" message that literally takes up one second of your time. It's just about as pointless as your complaint about it :)
I think it's kinda cute it does that XD
Sorry if the complaint seemed useless. I just really needed to know if there was a bigger reason for this page.

But some people around have mentioned that it is not just to say "Hey, are we not good enough?" It is a security measure to keep yourself from pressing non-DA links (that may look like DA links) that may be information scams. So that reasoning makes me feel much better with taking up the extra second!