Fan-artists deserve to be paid just as much as anyone else

No, you massive entitled backwards dickholsters, just because a commission's subject is from some franchise (Pokémon, Transformers, MLP, Dora the explorer...) and thus copyrighted to someone other than the artist who's drawing it, does not mean that you have some sort of holy constitutional right to demand they charge you what is the equivalent of a teaspoon half-full of rancid beans.

Here's a comprehensive list of what is actually being sold to you:
  • Effort and time spent drawing your shit.
  • Our skill level to draw your shit.
  • The years of studying and practicing it's taken us to have that skill.
  • All your possible "revisions" because you're a picky fucker, during sketching, coloring and even final pieces.
  • The final magnificent piece itself.
  • The, most of the time exclusive, right to use our work for display in whatever it is you wanted it for, so long as it was agreed by both parties (artist & you)

Here's a list of what is not being sold to you:

• Rights to the characters and/or series in question, whether full or partial.

Isn't that very easy to comprehend, champs?
Well, not for some people. No. Not at all. Some people think it's perfectly fine to offer less than 2 bucks for (TWO) fully finished, good quality, relatively high res pieces of artwork just because "it's fanart and you (the artist) don't own the rights" - sweetie, the fucking day that fan-art equals to me not having to lift a single finger to get it done, I will accept that laughable excuse of a job.
But for now? It's a more bloody profitable use of my time to go sit on my toilet and take a shit than to even humour your retarded offer.

You don't even respect the people you're attempting to hire with the pocket change you got out of your pants during laundry day. No, your "wall of shame" pointing to all the artists who in some way or another disappointed you is not, and will never be, professional, needed or respectful - I don't care what they fucking did to annoy you as an employer*.

Did I mention that demanding an artist to show you a sample specific to your needs before they ever see a cent from you, and then telling them that their work does not meet your quality standard (in oh much much less nicer terms), makes you the very definition of douche rimjob nozzle?

...And please stop advertising how some artists have gotten thousands of dollars working for you, because even if it happened, it's pretty much slave work. Divide all that shit by the amount of hours and artwork they've had to give you and I'm certain the end result will be a negative sum. How people subject themselves and their trade to this is beyond my comprehension - especially considering the fact that you want to pay after the works are finished and delivered to you.

The very question of whether an artist can charge or not for fan-art goes out the window the second you make an offer, the sum does not matter. If you really did care about the possible legalities of purchasing or selling work that comes directly from a third-party copyrighted source, then you wouldn't be trying to fucking buy it in the first place. You'd ask for volunteers. But you're not, eh? Well, you're almost not, since we've already covered how pretty much any other activity under the sun is more profitable than your near two bucks, which can't even afford the oxygen spent while drawing. And that's not counting things such as paypal fees.

You just want an excuse to be a cheap bastard.
Also, no, I'm not an improper artist nor immature person for pointing out that your "offer" is a load of crap (except cheaper).

*Beggar. The correct term is beggar. Oops.

Comments231
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm sorry you've had to go through this :(

However, this is well written!
I mean...if it's really good.

but the concept (character wise) isn't even yours...so...original > fanart if they're both of equal quality.
I am glad I never ran into those fuckwits who need to be reminded exactly what they're paying for. I'm surprised you get such idiotic questions, I expect those kind of comments from beginners here to other art noobs. ^^;
This reminds me, I've recently been watched by a kid* who complained on his journal how no one would draw a certain free request for him. He had written down a detailed description for a four-panel "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" comic which had April O'Neil gain weight over the course of her adolescence while the Turtles were feeding and swooning over her. I suppose he might have found someone willing to draw the comic as he described it if he had enough money at his disposal, but he apparently wanted it done all for free.

*No, wait, the guy is 28 years old, as in four years older than myself.
Technically, it's actually illegal to sell fanart. Companies are okay with people drawing it since it's free advertizing, but if someone sells their copyrighted material - prepare for a lawsuit. There was an indecent that happened fairly recently in my hometown. An artist owned their own shop, started doing copyrighted characters - and then they got sued by Disney etc.

Of course, fan art is okay to keep in your portfolio, just as long as it's in a style that differs from the original.

But yeah, saw that guy you were talking about. Even if he was requesting regular art, that's pretty damn low of him.
And another narrowed minded jerk popped up on the jobs only sketches should always be free now.
I saw that. I summoned a mod to move that thread to here. :popcorn:
Oooh the drama if it gets here :lol:
Oh boy, oh boy. This is exciting. :la:
If people want to enter the paid fanart world they should do so with screenwriting. That's my field, and spec scripts of established material are very valuable portfolio pieces.

All relevant commentary aside, hi angelishi, been a while. :3
Erm.... This reads like a parody, but on the off chance it isn't, selling fanart is technically illegal. o.O  That's not to say that the artist doesn't work hard, but in the end the artist is the one the fallout's going to affect should the holder of the copyright pursue the matter, not the buyer. :shrug: Anyhoo, whether fanart or original, tell the cheapskates to go find someone else. They aren't worth annoyance.
Are some people actually that mean when commissioning soneone? :noes: 

You'd expect them to be honored to have something done for them by a good artist :no:
Woah, seriously. Just because something is fan art, doesn't mean artists don't work hard to produce it.
Oh my, it's sad to hear that people actually ask for an unfinished piece and then decide they don't like it to get out of paying for art. That is such a cheap cop out.
:iconlawooplz: God-dammit, once again I wish I could fave forum threads.

:stare: But yeah. That's fucked up on so many levels.  :iconstareshakeplz: Who the fuck would want to take commissions from just an unpleasant, miserly, obnoxious egotistic sack of stale diarrhea infused farts and diseased dick drippings?
Shit, what did I miss? I'm only late to the party because it's slow getting around on a walker...
Wtf, can't people get payed for there work they do? It seems a hard concept to grasp for some people, especially the "shitstain". :no:
Yeah. Wanna hear a sad story? Someone was offering 5 - 15 :points: for a good fullbody illustration of his OC. If that sounds terrible, what's even worse are the people who jumped at the offer ... And then the dude had the nerve to basically turn them all down (considering their work was not up to his quality standards, which of course ... 5 -15 :points:???). 

I told the guy he might as well ask for a free request from someone, and he had the nerve to say, "I prefer to pay." 
:iconlolwutplz: I can hardly believe that shit.
It was in the Job Offers forum about two weeks ago, I think.
It's probably a good thing I don't wander through there more often, i'd have a coronary.