Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 362

The Pussification of Slenderman

:iconkhomaa:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
RIP Slenderman. He used to actually be scary. But now he's a chibi doing caramel dansen and having relationships like a normal human instead of stalking and kidnapping children in the woods or romping around Equestria or participating in memes.
He doesn't even belong on CreepyPasta sites anymore. HappyAppy is more scary than his shit. The Rake is more scary than his shit. Ted the Caver is scarier. Even Squidwards Suicide.

Go Home, Slenderman. You're lame.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwheezergirl:
wheezergirl Featured By Owner Mar 8, 2013
He scared the everloving crap out of me when I was younger, but as always, overexposure always kills fear.
:icongrygon:
grygon Featured By Owner Mar 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It makes me angry.
:iconlankss:
Lankss Featured By Owner Mar 3, 2013
:iconthisplz::iconsaluteplz:
:iconebonsong:
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013
'Slenderman' is apparently now a copyrighted character. However, the real slendermen are still about in various forms, sometimes called by different things depending on myths and cultures (tall greys, shadowmen, etc).

The former was sold & marketed to make money which lost their scariness, the latter are still pretty much scary as heck imo.
:iconbinarystep:
binarystep Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Copyrighted? lolno

I did research. It's a prick named Victor-Surge who claims to have trademarked an urban legend. But I can't find any proof past his words.
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013
I found one of the links! [link]
binarystep Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow. So Victor is a little prick who thinks he owns an urban legend.
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013
And is somehow starting to get away with it. :shrug: That's why he's secretive about who he's given the rights to (management or sold, whatever). If people find out, he'll lose his hold...& probably be sued by those being barred from using SM imagery/mythologies.

I think he managed to get his personal creation story (the whatever style mythology) tied in with the Slenderman figure & its myths as to be indistinguishable from each other.

Right now there are companies out there who believe he owns the rights. We need more info on which parts he owns (as in, just a location, a certain story, etc), if any, and separate the two - one Public Domain (as it should be), the other Fan Art (his myth addition).
binarystep Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I want to have Slenderman as an enemy in a game I'm making, and Hell will freeze over the day I ask Victor for permission!
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013
That isn't even his real name. There's no way anyone can claim copyright on a public domain, urban ledgend/myth creature. A certain storyline, or whatnot, sure.

It's like Disney making a movie w/ Chewbacca creatures in it (it will happen...), then suddenly claiming copyright on Bigfoot 'cause they think they own rights to tall fuzzy ape-men. :disbelief:
binarystep Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I heard of things like Wendigos that are similar to Slendy! Will Victor sue the Aborigines in Australia?

Yep. >.<
Binary, you may just be my hero. I know a game developer who was barred by Steam from making a Slenderman game due to copyright. He ended up making a much cooler villain (arachnid plague-doctor type) for a game called "Huntsman: The Orphanage" which DID get Greenlit.

It's possible the guy who's trying to trademark Slendy is butt-hurt about not actually being able to do so, and is spreading rumors. Which I feel like crap, 'cause I dislike the thought that I too could be spreading disinformation. So I apologize if it ends up being a rumor. :(

This whole event could also be in combination w/ the DayZ issue Steam was having a few months ago. A very similar game came out w/ similar name (WarZ), total rip-off trying to milk up DayZ's profits. Steam actually had to refund people, and Steam does not like to refund.

So thank you, binary. If you find out any new info, please let me know. And I'll do the same. :)
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Whaat who owns him? lmao wtf.
Finally found a link that might explain it better: [link]
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
oh thank you.
Oh you know, I just watched the Fourth Paranormal Activity and you'll never guess-
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013
I don't watch TV so you'll have to fill me in! :)
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's a movie and I'd hate to spoil it so if you're planning on watching it then don't read the following:

The demon is playing the Kinect with the two boys and his Avatar just looks like Slenderman but with smoldering black eyes that are red around the edges. No mouth or nose.
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013
Oh I see. I probably won't watch it. I don't follow TV series at all. I think I only watch 10 or so 'new' movies a year - new being within 5 years of it going out on DVD.

Slenderman and his likes are everywhere, always have been. I can't imagine anyone being able to truly copyright such a PD figure.
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lmao greedy society will always find a way to make money off of shit :(
(1 Reply)
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013
Apparently some guy 'created' him on a forum somewhere. Which is silly as there's plenty of same-styled characters (right down to the tall & suit) already out on the net, not including plenty of mythologies that include characters just like that.

The 'creator' then sold the rights to some bigger company (I don't know which) & they're being up-tight about copyright.

Steam (the game community) won't even let you make/sell games based off him now. Which is kinda dumb, since slenderman really wasn't created by one person - just made popular by the guy.

This may also mean that Fan Art of 'Slenderman' is now illegal... It's kinda like someone suddenly owning the rights to the general tall grey aliens, hatmen, shadow people & shadow slendermen, etc. Kinda wrong to have a person own a copyright to something that's public domain..

Reminds me of the guys who somehow managed to copyright the word "homesteading" which is ridiculous as it has been used for many decades. They eventually dropped their claim on it a couple years later due to legal issues...
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If somebody said they made their art based off of the legend of DasRitter or something..would that help at all? It's so ridiculous that somebody actually claimed to own something like that. Holy shit. Before you know it, somebody is gonna claim Jeff The Killer or The Rake..
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
You could say "inspired by" a legend or something in the public domain, yes. But it can't have the exact Slenderman look. This also depends on which country you're in, some have crazy-tight laws while others are more relaxed about art. (good and bad)

So for example, you could paint MLP-type anime art so long as it's inspired by the Pegasus of Greek (& wherever) mythology. You just can't have it look -exactly- like Rainbow Dash (or whatever that one is called, I don't watch it) as it's too close to the character which has been copyrighted.
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's nuts :U Who the hell was even able to pull this off.
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013
His name's out there but I won't bother to link it.

To give you a few breadcrumbs on older Slendermen:

The Choctaw peoples had many stories of shadow-like beings. Tall & thin human-like being(s) which could slide on their bellies or slip into your body. Again, there are many more mythologies w similar stories & even more modern paranormal slender-men (and aliens) w/ similar looks. They're not as easy to find with a quick search but I'm sure if you're interested enough you can find them.

As a modern twist, in the 90's Buffy the Vampire Slayer had an episode w/ Slendermen beings called 'The Gentlemen': [link] They look strikingly similar to the 'copyrighted' Slendermen w/ Trololo faces. Since the series was out earlier than the alleged creator of Slenderman had his, does that mean the creators of Buffy technically own both Public Domain characters?

And of course David Bowie w/ his Shadow Man...though I just threw that in for fun.[link] :)

The minute diff here from the 'copyrighted' Slendermen and many other shadow/slendermen is the former generally has a smooth face while the latter have unnaturally small or 'different' (glowing/sunken/exaggerated,etc) features.

Just seeing that someone can copyright what's out there & has likely been out there for many many years, is like a person owning rights to the name/animal Giraffe 'cause they were the first one to file the paperwork. :shrug:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh weird, I wasn't aware there were stories about similar beings in Native lore. I have a friend who is half Comanche and her father is very knowledgeable on the culture, I wonder if he knows of anything like Slenderman.

Wow, I guess nobody bothered to do it before them because they didn't know how or figured it would be a waste of time to try but evidently it worked for this guy. Ugh..some people
(1 Reply)
:iconhorrificsensation:
HorrificSensation Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
holy balls you should watch this
[link]
:icondead-deviant:
Dead-Deviant Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
:pee::tombstone:
:iconcryophase:
Cryophase Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:)
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
I'm seriously GLAD about this because Slenderman is one of the few things that had me seriously freaked out for MONTHS. I too knew Slendy before the whole stupid game, I got to know him through a friend who knew the creepypasta and introduced me to Marble Hornets. I was afraid in the dark so much because of Slenderman that I sometimes cried out of fear, no joke. Then I introduced Slendy to my other friends and apparently wanted me to get rid of my fear. So one of my friends dressed up as Slenderman for Halloween and somehow it helped me a lot to get over it. And those stupid bad quality images of the game, pfft. He doesn't have that soulless, fucking creepy thing the Marble Hornets version is. Also, the Slender version isn't even slender. He's this pudgy dude with his arms in an arch.
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013
Slenderman was never scary to begin with
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Professional
Know what's worse than someone who goes to 4chan or an elitist?

A 4chan elitist.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
What about a Reddit elitist?
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Professional
I dunno!
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay?
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Professional
Just sayin'.
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Not sure what that has to do with this thread but okay
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional
I guess it's more of being a hipster for 4chan? I mean, you are complaining how you liked Slenderman before everyone else got to him.

My overall point is it's fucking dumb to be a hipster or an elitist for a stupid meme that started on 4chan or a 4chan-type place, guy.
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No. I was complaining about how Slenderman used to be alright then he got all desu-fied.
Please actually read ^^
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional
Implying he was alright in the first place.

No. He was a dumb 4chan shit-thing before.
Khomaa Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah yeah yeah, you're better than 4chan and all of it's users blahblah.
(1 Reply)
:iconritameethermaid:
RitaMeetHerMaid Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
the closest thing to creepy that slenderman's ever BEEN was marble hornets.

the creepiest pasta i've ever read was funnymouth, really, look it up.
:iconalevan:
Alevan Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
So why are you letting that get in the way? I don't know, why not ignore it?

I love the idea of Slender man myself. I also like how a single idea can form so many other ideas and create what we have right now.

Some people are making him cute and adorable but maybe thats their way to get into Slender man, I guess. I don't care personally. The creepy aspect is what makes me like it a lot... I think what makes ME like the mythos was due to my fears as a kid. There was a creepy forest. I was scared shitless of that forest and how dark it was, and I swore something was in there. My teacher was a dick and made us go in there and I was apparently so petrified that I had passed out despite my teacher trying to yell 'No such thing' in there.

I don't really remember that. I had my mother tell me the story.

But Slender man would be similar or close to what I'd be pissing myself scary as a kid and suppose is why I like it so much.

So who cares what the others do? Stick to the other stuff that stays true to the Slender Man. :shrug:
:iconyesmymajesty:
YesMyMajesty Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Slendermand is NOT scary. If you want to see a scary bald guy in a suit, I'll show you my dad's wedding pictures. :p
:iconapricots-from-nara:
Apricots-from-Nara Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Student General Artist
I thought his portrail in Lost Girl was good.

He was the Pied Piper. Used a sort of herdy-gurdy tune to enthral Fay and Humans so he could feed off them. His resulted feeding made them bleed form the eyes.

[link]
[link]

The Wiki article [link]
:iconmechakraken:
MechaKraken Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It happens. The same thing happened to the older movie monsters like Freddy and Chuckie. The early films were horror based, which eventually de-evolved into comedy romps that beared little resemblence or mood to the originals.

I think the way it happens is that people like to pervert things. That is, to take something and make it into something else that is completely different. In this case, take a scary character and make them HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY. I've seen the reverse too, for example have you see all the Ronald McDonald pics that make him scary? One of the best was definitely Giygas Theme RONALDver on youtube.
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Seed of Chucky was..more comedy than anything, I thought.

Seems it's just really popular of an idea to take things and make them into their opposites.
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student Filmographer
The Grifter.

It's a lanky bipedal creature that lives in rural U.S. It wears old, torn clothes, but has pale white skin, bony limbs, and a mouth that looks nonexistent but opens up across the entirety of the head and neck. It moves slowly for camouflage reasons , but can jump across landscapes rapidly and silently, giving it the illusion of teleportation. It preys on farm animals and wild beasts alike, but when it is time to reproduce, it'll stalk a human, implant a fetus (they are hermaphrodites are can self-reproduce) into the spinal column of the host, and flees into the woods. (The fetus itself is liquid, and will quickly grow into the host's body, and it's presence can be seen as a white branching pattern on the skin of the host's back.)

Several weeks later, the host will collapse suddenly, go into seizures, and be paralyzed. The adrenal glands are then targeted by the fetus, and the ensuing epinephrine overdose is enough to shock the fetus into pulling itself out of the host, alongside with the host's bones, muscles, stomach, and nervous system. The newborn Grifter will then cover it's exposed body with the clothes of its victims, and jump off into the woods to grow and feed on smaller wildlife before coming back to the farms as adults, disguised as old worn scarecrows wearing familiar clothing.

Slenderman ain't shit.
:iconplaceusernamehere:
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
I now feel obligated to draw a gut-filled and gory picture involving Slenderman.
Thanks for the prompt.
:iconthe13thleprechaun:
The13thLeprechaun Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I was thinking of doing the same. :D
:iconplaceusernamehere:
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
WE SHALL START A WAVE OF GORY SLENDERMAN PICTURES. AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Add a Comment: