Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 498

Fucking Hot Topic (rant)

:iconkhomaa:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
HotTopic likes to grab onto anything popular and make profit off of it while being 'cool' because it has 'cool' things to offer for sale.
HotTopic really irks my nerves. Used to be an okay place for band shit and goth/punk/rock apparel but all of that has been pushed to the back of the store to make room for the wall of MLP merch, rows/columns of t-shirts with memes, ponies, hipster bullshit and crap that's supposed to be funny.
That store has pretty much ruined memes. It's so fucking distasteful and lame to wear meme shit now.
Most of the shit there has nothing to do with the store or what it originally was established for.

I didn't just stop shopping there because I changed my sense of style, but also because the MLP, Memes, Yo Gabba Gabba (isn't that a show for five year olds? Oh right, it's cool to like cartoons for toddlers now)Twilight and other unrelated crap.

HotTopic changes merch. a lot since most of what it sells quickly becomes 'uncool' and heaven forbid HotTopic isn't 'cool'! So it's gotta change out it's shit to keep up with the 'cool' crowd.
Since when was HotTopic so concerned with appealing to the 'cool' crowd? With being 'cool'? It used to appeal to the punks and rockers and goths who gave zero shits for what was cool and came there to get shirts for their fave bands and clothing that fit their likes and sense of fashion because they were unique people who couldn't really shop much other places.

Can you even buy Tripps there anymore? Most of what's left of the Old HotTopic are band shirts, CD's and some piercings. Everything else panders to whatever is currently 'cool'.

WTF HotTopic. When did you become such a shallow, pretentious place?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconputinade:
Putinade Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013   Digital Artist
I got a dress there. It's pretty, black, not so short my ass hangs out and made of decent fabric :O
:iconbabushka-nipples:
Babushka-Nipples Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013
Everytime I see someone wearing meme anythings, I want to fucking beat them.
:iconsecretagentsch:
SecretAgentSch Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Student Artist
jeez.... HotTopic sucks now. I hate how they say they're so punk. no...... not at all..... A Misfits nightlight is not punk.....
I remember when I would walk in there and there would be a wall of good ol' punk band t-shirts. The Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys and such. The punk slowly faded out and was replaced with other crappy stuff. I don't know... they're so expensive and sort of low quality with some stuff. For punk being one of the things they are trying to appeal to its pretty pricey. I thought most punks were angry, young and poor? DIY.
They seem a little try hard now.

Random: Their denim vests are shitty. Just make your own.

Theres more I could say but I'm just ranting. I probably will have forgotten what I have typed in 5 minutes...
:iconrinidarklight:
rinidarklight Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I haven't been in a Hot Topic in a while till just recently. They had a Sailor Moon shirt I liked, so I had to get it. I think the last thing I bought there was a Zelda shirt.. But yes, most of the time the store is too full of idiots squealing at MLP shit to even bother trying to go in...
:icontruesoprano:
TrueSoprano Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Meh, Hot Topic has some cool stuff like Doctor Who merch and a few decent band shirts. Not really worth the shitty "hardcore" music they play in there and all the mall goths, though.
:icongrinningsunknown:
Grinningsunknown Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
i like going to hot topic anyway to see what they have...if i like it i like it if i don't i just leave and come back later...i don't go there too "be diffrent and not conform" nor do i go to be a sheep..i like what i like for myself..not just because a huge group likes it...i know who and what i am and don't need a store to remind me...but we all got our opinions and i respect that :)
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It's almost like HotTopic is a retail business in a capitalist society. The nerve!
:iconhellhoundhyena:
HellhoundHyena Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
Welll why do you think it's called Hot topic? Thats what they are supposed to do, sell what's getting a lot of attention at the moment.
:iconputinade:
Putinade Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013   Digital Artist
I got a pretty cool dress there last time I was there... :iconfabulousplz:
And a breaking bad tshirt.
:iconsweeney-todd-warrior:
sweeney-todd-warrior Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Mhm, I get what you mean. But, I think that maybe they're just not so much becoming uncool, but selling things that are considered cool to others (MLP, Twilight, etc...). Just because you don't like those things doesn't mean that others don't as well :P
Add a Comment: