Closed to new replies
February 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 298

No more cursive writing???

:iconyunonglu:
YunongLu Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
On the news they were talking about how (where I am) that cursive writing is no longer needed to be taught! In my oppinion this is wrong, schools can now choose to teach children cursive writing or not. Do you think cursive writing should continue to be taught or not?

I think is's dumb because you need to learn cursive to read cursive writing plus sign legal contracts so people can't forage your writng (it be harder to). The news is saying that it's just not needed for the new generation, sad sad.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I write semi-cursive, all my letters are connected with loops and shit. They start looking normal unless I slow down, but then I end up with Normal-Slight cursive-All cursive and my writings look funny.
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
All that's needed from cursive is the ability to sign your name for the most part. Although, I remember when I took the SAT they made me copy a paragraph in cursive. It was the hardest part of the test. :saddummy:
:iconyunonglu:
YunongLu Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Really? Well, there you go then. If cursive was used more often it wouldn't be that hard to use on the SAT. How was your test?
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It really sucked. But I scored pretty good. My reading was high.
:iconkhomaa:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
After learning it, I never used it except to write my signature.
Many signatures eventually devolve out of cursive and into scribbly nonsense, BUT it DOES stem from cursive.
This may pose a issue in the future when students who weren't taught get old enough to need signatures.
Flagged as Spam
:iconprincess-rufflebutt:
Princess-Rufflebutt Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
I can still write in cursive, but my hand writing is really sloppy. My signature is a hot mess.
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
1. Most people's signatures are illegible. If I steal your identity, I could use a 'signature' that didn't even have real letters in it and nobody would bat an eyelash. Signatures are almost impossible to read and vary very widely. If you want to protect your identity, get your name out of the phone book because I can sign a fake fucking signature for you and nobody will examine it or care.

2. Cursive is a waste of time. Nobody uses it, everything official has to be hand typed anyway, it's very hard to read and the only purpose it serves is looking pretty. It really doesn't matter at all unless you're taking some kind of lettering design class for graphic arts or somesuch.
:iconsewlolita:
SewLolita Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013   General Artist
my cursive is completely and utterly illegible. Like, doctor-writing-prescription level 'is this even english?' :D
I mean, I can do perfect calligraphy....my printing is Ok... and printing-with-a-little-cursive has some of the benefits while still not turning into tangly chicken scratch... but full cursive? the few seconds I save is more than regained if i use some shorthand ... and a week later, I can figure out what I wrote. =p

I can understand it being important a decade ago... I recall the misery of not being allowed to type assignments (probably good, given tht i didn't have a computer, but w/e)
but now...well, the highschools round here loan every student a laptop. With the legibility, speed, transferability and editability of typing, cursive is kindof over-rated.

I think my problem is trying to write with a pen as fast as I type. IT JUST DOESNT WORK >_<
:iconaimforhorror:
AIMforHorror Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think its fine if schools want to choose whether people have to learn cursive - none of my friends know how to use it, nor can they read my handwriting even though they were taught. While I don't get what's so hard about learning to do it (and for me, it makes life easier than print), everything's going digital nowadays anyways.

Watch no one know how to print in a couple of years either.
Add a Comment: