Closed to new replies
February 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 298

No more cursive writing???

:iconyunonglu:
YunongLu Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
On the news they were talking about how (where I am) that cursive writing is no longer needed to be taught! In my oppinion this is wrong, schools can now choose to teach children cursive writing or not. Do you think cursive writing should continue to be taught or not?

I think is's dumb because you need to learn cursive to read cursive writing plus sign legal contracts so people can't forage your writng (it be harder to). The news is saying that it's just not needed for the new generation, sad sad.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I write semi-cursive, all my letters are connected with loops and shit. They start looking normal unless I slow down, but then I end up with Normal-Slight cursive-All cursive and my writings look funny.
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
All that's needed from cursive is the ability to sign your name for the most part. Although, I remember when I took the SAT they made me copy a paragraph in cursive. It was the hardest part of the test. :saddummy:
YunongLu Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Really? Well, there you go then. If cursive was used more often it wouldn't be that hard to use on the SAT. How was your test?
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It really sucked. But I scored pretty good. My reading was high.
:iconkhomaa:
Khomaa Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
After learning it, I never used it except to write my signature.
Many signatures eventually devolve out of cursive and into scribbly nonsense, BUT it DOES stem from cursive.
This may pose a issue in the future when students who weren't taught get old enough to need signatures.
:iconprincess-rufflebutt:
Princess-Rufflebutt Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
I can still write in cursive, but my hand writing is really sloppy. My signature is a hot mess.
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
1. Most people's signatures are illegible. If I steal your identity, I could use a 'signature' that didn't even have real letters in it and nobody would bat an eyelash. Signatures are almost impossible to read and vary very widely. If you want to protect your identity, get your name out of the phone book because I can sign a fake fucking signature for you and nobody will examine it or care.

2. Cursive is a waste of time. Nobody uses it, everything official has to be hand typed anyway, it's very hard to read and the only purpose it serves is looking pretty. It really doesn't matter at all unless you're taking some kind of lettering design class for graphic arts or somesuch.
:iconsewlolita:
SewLolita Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013   General Artist
my cursive is completely and utterly illegible. Like, doctor-writing-prescription level 'is this even english?' :D
I mean, I can do perfect calligraphy....my printing is Ok... and printing-with-a-little-cursive has some of the benefits while still not turning into tangly chicken scratch... but full cursive? the few seconds I save is more than regained if i use some shorthand ... and a week later, I can figure out what I wrote. =p

I can understand it being important a decade ago... I recall the misery of not being allowed to type assignments (probably good, given tht i didn't have a computer, but w/e)
but now...well, the highschools round here loan every student a laptop. With the legibility, speed, transferability and editability of typing, cursive is kindof over-rated.

I think my problem is trying to write with a pen as fast as I type. IT JUST DOESNT WORK >_<
:iconaimforhorror:
AIMforHorror Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think its fine if schools want to choose whether people have to learn cursive - none of my friends know how to use it, nor can they read my handwriting even though they were taught. While I don't get what's so hard about learning to do it (and for me, it makes life easier than print), everything's going digital nowadays anyways.

Watch no one know how to print in a couple of years either.
:iconrasec-wizzlbang:
Rasec-Wizzlbang Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They told me I'd need to know cursive in high school.
It was a lie.

a filthy lie.
YunongLu Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
There's a lot of lies highschool teachers tell like some of my teachers say 'grades don't matter'. It sorta does if you want to go to collage.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Foraging for handwriting? Didn't know it was edible.
:iconlittle-wild-one:
little-wild-one Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
We never learned it. Now I'm having to teach myself how to write properly because having the handwriting skills of a little kid doesn't exactly look good when you grow up. I guess most people learn how to write like that on their own, but I could have used the lessons.
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Good. We spent entire classed in grade school and twenty years later, it has served me no practical purpose in life.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
All it did was make my handwriting uglier. And I know a lot of people who feel that way too.
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Why is cursive called cursive?

Because you'll be cursing trying to read it.
Hahaha, good one. Did you come up with it? I feel like that be a joke my dad would tell meXD
:iconevildoctorhobbit:
EvilDoctorHobbit Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
My handwriting is a mix between cursive and regular, so I guess my future grandchildren won't be able to read it. :shrug:
:iconzoo-relived:
zoo-relived Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I've foraged plenty of things, but never writing. :lol:

On a more serious note, my cursive is excellent, probably due to the fact that I'm older than 21 years of age and received a proper education. :shrug:
That's a good thing. Where I am a notice a lot of trends with under educated people and educated people. I had hung out with students who don't care about education once in a blue moon and wow, some of them need to learn what they want in life. One girl I knew, who dropped out of highschool, she smokes and deosn't beleive smoking can cause lung cancer. I didn't argue because no one want's to hear a rant.
:iconblackestfox:
BlackestFox Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Is it sad that only us early-twenties "Adults" may be the last generation to learn basic shit like cursive writing?
:iconzoo-relived:
zoo-relived Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
Yes. Yes, it is.
:icont4pew0rm:
T4pew0rm Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I always had problems with cursive and I have problems writing it, but I think people should have to learn it because (gasp) there's people that still write it.

My hand writing is a lot like cursive, but it's not at the same time and sometimes I manage to write some words as one megaletter, like the word "the" for example
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I don't ever use cursive anymore (besides my signature) and I'm glad it was never enforced past primary school. My signature is a bit childish because I designed it as a kid but it's my legal one now.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
People who aren't used to writing in cursive don't understand that there's cursive, and then there's cursive.

Most people used to writing in cursive have (more or less) two forms of it, one rapid and scrawling and one careful and neat. You use the one for jotting down quick notes for yourself, and the other for communicating with other people.

Once you're used to it, cursive can be written much more fluidly and quickly than printing, and with less strain on the muscles of the forearm. That's why it's useful. I have no idea how people take class notes without it (the fast, scrawled version). It must be very tiring.

It's true that the neat version is less useful than it once was, now that electronic text communication is ubiquitous. But if you're ever in a situation where you must write by hand at length, you'll have a hard time of it if you don't have any cursive writing.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
lol asian-schooled so we all basically began with cursive. It's just writing for me...and truthfully it is a lot faster than print.....but as for neccessary.....well it helps kids be careful how they write but not much else. I mean if they didn't need to spend half an hour every day to make kids learn cursive maybe they can let them out for PE or something which would be more helpful.
YunongLu Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
PE is nothing, it's more like people choose to be lazy. High School PE everyone fluffs it off. As long students look like there participating, they get A's.
lol true, but this is elementary schools. Anytime, children are made to play outside is good use of time, instead of sitting on their butts gaining weight.
Haha, now a days they just use recess to sit on there butts and play there DS. Back when I was in elementary I used it to read. Other people did the same as me. Then the stuck up people sat on the monkey bars like they owned them or something.

Kids gaining weight is because the parents aren't harsh enough to take there video games away and tell them to go outside. Or the parents themselves are inactive. It isn't the children's fault, but the ones who raised them. Unless you have a medical disease and have to take pills that make you gain weight, then that's a exception.
Well yeah but back when I was in elementary school, it meant your teacher forced you to participate, tossing around a ball or dancing like retard or something.

......They allow DS in elementary schools? 0.o
Of coruse they allow DS in elemntry schools, when they first came out durring my age, that's what boys were doing. It's reeces, they allowed anything. Then beofore school they talk and get there last minute game in.
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
0.o....that's not cool. I remember when we were under no circumstances to have electronics at school. Woe it be to the child who had the audacity to sneak in his gameboy. It would be confiscated right then and there.
:icontidal-wave-art:
Tidal-Wave-Art Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Cursive is only good if it's done well. A lot of the time it looks sloppy and illegible. I learned cursive by myself at home (which is probably why it has a large influence in my handwriting despite me usually writing in print) but by the time we had to learn it in school my teachers didn't know or couldn't do it and plus most of the teachers from then on hated trying to read it so it was pointless. We type almost everything nowadays anyways. :shrug:
:iconsoda-with-cyanide:
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student General Artist
As much as I like cursive writing, with the speed I have to write I simply cannot do it; I have a doctor's handwriting, heh; clear cursive requires some time and alot of exercise. All the folks I know have their own variation of cursive so, meh. :shrug:
:icondayandevarlo:
DayanDeVarlo Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Eeeeh I dunno I think practicing it helps with some skills like precision and hand-eye coordination but it's not as necessary as it used to be overall. (Also you can have a signature regardless of knowing cursive or not. My bestfriend has disgraphia and never could write in cursive and still has a proper signature.)
:iconmelodymoose:
MelodyMoose Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wait- aren't you supposed to use cursive to sign your name on documents? Or am I once more the only one that does that?
No, you're supposed to. You're right and people still do. At least my parents who work in a professional office do. They have to because the of there job.

I think many serious jobs like lawyers and CIA workers have to? At least I feel like they would.
:icontrampire:
Trampire Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I agree with bohobella about her views on cursive writing!!
:iconsmoppet:
Smoppet Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Yeah, I was taught cursive in the second grade and never had to use it after that.
:iconjynxeddraca:
JynxedDraca Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I can read cursive (sometimes) but I can't write in proper cursive. I was showing my roommate (who's Japanese) what our cursive writing looked like and totally blanked out on all the upper case letters.
:icongreenstables:
greenstables Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I almost never use cursive, and I can't read OTHER people's cursive anyway because EVERYONE is taught a DIFFERENT cursive than the one you know. Seriously! They have 1,00 different ways to make each letter and that's no joke!
:iconmonkeydoodles:
monkeydoodles Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
I've always used my own modified style of cursive, because normally it has too many extra lines and it's pretty unreadable. Writing in italics is actually faster than cursive and much more legible.
:iconblack-tiger-of-evil:
Black-Tiger-of-Evil Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree with you on that. I've learned cursive and (somehow) retained a good deal of it, but I only use it when signing my name on something.
:iconorange-zeppelin:
Orange-Zeppelin Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I've always had the worst cursive handwriting imaginable. Granted, my printing is pretty bad too...
:iconmunuci:
Munuci Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student General Artist
There was an article in the paper her a little while ago about how they were worried children wouldn't be able to use a computer mouse after so much tablet-usage. Toddlers.

Shoot me plz

But on topic of writing, I think it was a few years back that way here. Where they'd just learn toddlers block letters(?) instead of the whole cursive thing. I don't know what I think about it. I guess it's "sad" because they keep scrapping older things you used to do as a child.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I couldn't do cursive if I tried. My letters appear straight and uniform and that's how it's always been. :shrug:
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There *is* such a thing as vertical writing.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
My writing would go under that. :nod:
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Good. Who the fuck uses cursive writing? Most people don't know how to write cursive clearly and the few who still insist on it are illegible. Learning to sign your own name has nothing to do with learning the entire cursive writing system, which I had to spend seven years with in school before going to a school that didn't give a fuck how we wrote and realized cursive looks messy and unprofessional anyways. Besides, we're in the digital era. You'll never submit a final in cursive again, and if you write up an important document in cursive in the real world you'd probably get laughed at and at worst lose your job :lol:
Add a Comment: